• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Old Garage Find: PE-75 Near MINT Genset!

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought this Genset the other day from a guy in my town. It did not run but is in great shape! It does not look abused at all. It was low on oil when I first checked it, but I added some. The fuel tank inside is in MINT shape and I thought the carb would be the same way. It had the original manual from 1945, extra tools and a few extra parts. Like I said, it is in great shape and looks like it was hardly used.. only sprayed with light coat of oil and put away. Since the machine is oily, the paint is in great shape and well preserved. I know its the original paint because it has some MWO's stenciled on the one side. I dont know what these MWOs are for these, maybe somebody can let me know. I was able to get it running but needs all the general tune up stuff. I filed the points to get it running and it runs fairly well for points that are in bad shape. It has a little valve ticking sound but I know I need to adjust them. I am excited to get it all cleaned up with new tune up parts in it that I just ordered. A couple oil changes and I will be all set! This will be a nice functional conversation piece at shows! It is super heavy though!
:beer:

20140624_200809.jpg20140625_214318.jpg20140626_113400.jpg20140626_113406.jpg20140626_113416.jpg20140626_113449.jpg20140626_113456.jpg

Ray70

Nice find, brings back memories.... As a kid my father had a couple of these. During the blizzard of 78' we lost power for 2 weeks and we had one running with extension cords strung out like spaghetti, powering several neighbor's refrigerators and a few lights... not bad for a little 1 cyl. gas motor. My older brother still has one of them. I see you even got the wooden sticks to carry it with, nice bonus!
Throw a rubber mat under it, otherwise it will walk away on you when its running. Also, not sure how true it is, but my dad would always start it with at least a spot light plugged in. He said not to let it run completely unloaded, but I was 8 at the time, so I don't know if there is any truth to that or not. Congrats on your acquisition!

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are some pictures right after the first start up. It smoked quite a bit because I put a little oil in the cylinder while I had the head off. It was pretty smoky and not happy, but it eventually cleared up and does not smoke now.

20140626_200626.jpg20140626_195657.jpg20140626_195018.jpg

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
yup... Briggs and Stratton Model ZZ... 6 horse power. It might be a 1947 unit, but i am not sure. there is not a serial number on the engine data plate. Just "Type 308171". Also the data plate that should say, "PE-75" is chipped off. I don't know why it is like that although i can see some number stamped on it which appears to be "X882" and in another spot, "AC" I am not sure what they mean yet, I need to do more research unless somebody can chime in.

20140627_123610.jpg

Last edited:

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anybody know if i can still get the 2 prong connector to plug directly into the generator? Is that a standard item? Right now there are "wing nut" I can put the wire under and use it that way, but it would be neat to find the original style connector to use.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
22 amps is pretty impressive for a six horse one cylinder gas burner genset. I think that is pretty close to what the mep003a genset puts out on 120vac.
I thought the MEP-003A (10KW) should be around 100 amps of 120 volt. My MEP-002A does 52 amps of 120 volt and that is 5 KW.

74M35A2

Nancy, what you are not telling them is that I pulled on that silly rope 10,000 times after open heart surgery, loaned you my flywheel puller, watched you shoot the WD-40 spray straw down the spark plug hole (F'n hilarious), and then pulled on that MF'r 20 more times!

The genset is sweet, I wish it was mine. 6hp all cast iron engine, separate crankcase, oil pan, etc.... The only thing that sounds better running is a 2 stroke Detroit.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I shot that straw in the spark plug hole twice! hahaha! so if pulling on it did not kill you, it made you stronger. you'll be fine! We still have to lap the valves, adjust them and install the new parts. The new parts came in the other day, so we have some work to do!

After all this talk, it want to go out in the garage and fire it up now. [thumbzup]

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It runs good and I load tested it with 1000 watts and it did great. This generator is a nice unit! I should have plugged in my toaster oven and deuce block heater in it also to really make it work. I inspected the generator brushes at the same time I put the belt on and they were in great shape. I cant believe how amazingly good shape it is in! I just wish it was not 313 pounds to lug around. haha!

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
That's one of the generators used with the K18-C/K19 Radio truck/trailer set up. I have one but we've never messed with it except to turn it over to be sure it's not stuck. I'm 98% sure it would run if we played with it a few minutes.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks