• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Old gasoline

wilber

I have about 50 gallons of old gasoline. Any thoughts on whether I should burn it in the multifuel? I was thining of mixing it about 25% gasoline, 75% diesel. I couldn't think of any reason not to, but thought it would be nice to get some input.

Thanks

armytruck63

I wouldn't use it. It is still old crappy fuel whether you are putting it in a gas engine or a multifuel. Makes good weed killer.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I myself would use it to cut some WMO and run it. Don't delut good Diesel. If you were real carefuyl on delution don't put any Wmo in a full tank of diesel. Run tank down low add Wmo mix and run that tank low again. Refuel with good clean diesel if you do not have any more WMO mixes to burn.

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
How old is it? Is there varnish built up in the tank? Any chance there is ethanol in it.....that cuts the shelf life way down.

I would filter the crap out of it...mix it with WMO and add some fresh gas to it.....filter the crap out of it again and feed it to a hungry deuce.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Filter it through an old t-shirt to make sure no crap goes in the tank, and then run it and smile. The deuce can burn dam near anything, though cutting it with diesel will help if it's pretty bad.

Josh

I use anywhere from 3month, to 1yo stale gas in my deuce. I just mix it 30/70 or 50/50 depending on how cold it it outside. I mix it with the oil pre filtering it. Makes it flow faster.

JCKnife

Old gas goes great with WMO. I emptied the boat and the mower (both 2010 fill-ups) into the fuel tank couple weeks ago.

If you're just running diesel I would add oil if you add gas.

emr

Run, it I have used old gas from the boat dealer by me, that they take out when to old to run a nice boat anymore, it is just fine in a deuce at 25 % for sure, I ran 50% and to much gas makes em run a bit louder at a higher pitch, drove me nuts, 25 or less is my bet, and use it up...

84crawling

Burn it, I got 6-gallons of Old gas&oil for a 2cycle mixed way to oily lol, It was 2-3 years old. Pored it into a half full tank and couldnt tell any difference.2cents

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any chance there is ethanol in it.....that cuts the shelf life way down.
So you're saying the new ethanol gas won't last as long? I haven't heard that. Guess that's just another wonderful side effect of ethanol gas. I have yet to see any advatages other than helping the corn farmers (through government subsidies, of course).
There's some crazy law on the books in TN that still allows stores to sell non-ethanol gas. I will buy it whenever I can. I've had nothing but problems running E10.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nope, the Ethanol stuff is crap. Used to be able to let the off road stuff sit over the summer and alwasy good. Now you gotta drain it 'cause the bikes won't fire. 2 strokes don't seem to have issues but 4 strokes, forget it.

As to the OP question, run it!

OK.
How 'bout 35 year old gas. I was cleaning out on old shed at my grandpa's last week, he's been gone 20+ years. Found two old military fuel cans from the 50's. Can't remember, but they look like about 10 gal cans, labeled propellant for some huge gun. My dad said he had put them there after the fuel embargo of '74.
Anybody in OKC want this for their multi-fuel. [thumbzup] If not, I've got a huge burn pile waiting for the right weather and the burn ban here to lift.

Bill;-)

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The last deuce I picked up in Richmond, VA had a load of old gas in the tank for some reason. It smelled terrible, that classic old gas stink.

The truck fired up and ran alright once I put batteries in it. But with each tank of fresh diesel (I was headed for MA) the engine ran better and better. After the fourth tank it was way smoother and revved faster.

My opinion is that running old gas is OK, but not ideal. Strained and cut with another fuel such as diesel or WMO may be the best advise.

Rick

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks