• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Old gasoline

BIG_RED

Ethanol-mixed gas is brutal. I have seen it go bad in a matter of months. Also, since ethanol is fairly high-octane on it's own (I can't remember the exact number but I want to say about 110) the gas companies don't have to add as much octane-boosters to the fuel (like toluene, or wayy back in the day tetra-lead) before they put it in the pumps. Ethanol goes bad fast, +once the ethanol goes bad, even if the fuel still burns it will be lower octane and could cause you knocking problems. Where I live in Canada, the "Premium" fuel contains no ethanol. If you need to store fuel for a long time, try to get some of that.

bugei

just to jump in with my worthless experience. old gas runs fine, you want to mix it with some diesel or wmo or something, because the duece is not super happy with all gasoline anyway, but +1 on not wanting to chuck $150 of fuel, so at todays prices is that like a 5 gallon can?

mrcucv

Gas doesn't have the shelf life like it used to. Atleast in th esmall engines, but go to your local airport because they have pure gasloine with no ethanol that can ruin it over time. Those planes sit all the time and the gas will go bad and you cant trust that flying around in the sky. My shop teacher told me that and I have ran it in my tractors

wilber

just to jump in with my worthless experience. old gas runs fine, you want to mix it with some diesel or wmo or something, because the duece is not super happy with all gasoline anyway, but +1 on not wanting to chuck $150 of fuel, so at todays prices is that like a 5 gallon can?

Ha Ha, no kidding on the 5 gallon can.

Wreckerman, this fuel hasn't varnished, still burns but doesn't have the pop it did when new.

Has anyone noticed a new stench to non-ethanol gasoline? The last few fill ups I have noticed the smell has changed.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
but go to your local airport because they have pure gasloine with no ethanol that can ruin it over time. Those planes sit all the time and the gas will go bad and you cant trust that flying around in the sky. My shop teacher told me that and I have ran it in my tractors
I used to run aviation gas in my pulling tractor because if it's high octane (I think it was 100 octane). That was until I was told by several people that it was hard on my engine. They say it's a very "dry" gas and is hard on the rings of regular engines. I have no idea if this is true or not but I quit running it just to be safe.

littlebob

Mine came with 5-10 gallons of fuel that smelled of old gas from GSA. It seemed to run fine, but
had a different smell to the exhaust. I drained it and put about 20 gallons of diesel and then started
to add old gas from lawnmowers and boats. After adding the gas I started having problems with
parts in the fuel shutoff gumming up and sticking.

I would only do it if I was going to run it all out in a short period of time and diluted it with diesel
and WMO. I wouldn't let it sit for any length of time with anything other than straight diesel.

Hammer

I would definitely run it!
I have ran plenty of OLD gas, and even some REALLY OLD Race gas (and some of us people know that old race gas is NASTY).
Exhaust smelled 'different' after running that stuff!
Of course, I used all the old gas to dilute the used oils anyways, so it was a win/win situation for me.

JSBIRD69

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks JS. I will try some in some gasoline I have stored. How long does the stabilizer last?
The factory rep I spoke to on the phone said that each PRI-G or PRI-D treament is good for one year.

He said add the recommended amount of PRI-G treatment to the gasoline storage tank after it had been sitting for a year, agitate it well, and you're good for another year.

I also had 300 gallons of mid grade gasoline hauled in, and asked the transport driver to dump the PRI-G treatment in just before filling the tank with gasoline.
I'm going to test some in 6 months and see how it's holding up.

Although diesel fuel is more stable by nature than gasoline, I also used PRI-D in the 500 gallons of farm diesel fuel I had hauled in at the same time my gasoline was delivered.

HTH

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks