• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Old mixed parts M35 Gasser VIN ID ?, please.

DavidWymore

Old mixed parts M35 VIN ID ?, please.

So this is my old, abused, neglected, messed-with farm "water truck" deuce from my "Got a Deuce!" thread. Need to look into registering it. Tried CARNAC in '09, came back no such VIN.

EDIT: turns out it's an M35A1, not a mishmash.

DRIVER frame rail. Note lower number stamped over the OD green. Rebuild number or later civvy number?

D544F8FD-8C6E-4CC0-AE0F-90FBBFDF5B70_zpsolzgorjy.jpg

PASSENGER frame rail. Number is upside down, but I flipped the pic to make it easier to read. The rails
middle 4 digits numbers match, then L(eft) and R(ight)

DF959FB3-0036-4577-9086-F28A3F1A0B4C_zpso2pt9xoh.jpg

Axles are '62-'65-'67

Sprag Tcase - '60s, maybe

Trans is 3053A

'72 LDS-465

Generator/Delco Remy Regulator. Wiring is very old and dried/corroded/trashed. Cab looks very old and rusty (water truck...) Front sheetmetal looks to be Multifuel, bigger radiator, taller engine side covers.

Old style box seat

Multifuel style dash "on" switch, but non orig multi starter button. Mechanical (floor button/bellcrank) starter engage. Starter solenoid installed not original looking.

Lots of pics of everything....

http://s142.photobucket.com/user/DavidWhymore/library/DEUCE

Input much appreciated. Thanks!

@NoDakMark

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

I think that M59520 is your number. Kind of looks like some rust from that patch above it may have ran down into the numbers when it got wet and stayed there. Doesn't necessarily mean that the numbers were re stamped or are in bare steel. Take a cotton swab and some cleaner and try and clean the numbers out, see if there is paint under the rust.
Either way, that is really the only number that could be right.

DavidWymore

Did I tick everyone off, or is the forum dead?

Went and looked at the neighbor's old gassers. They have a similar number to my short number.
image.jpg

rustystud

How large is your gauge panel ? The early deuces had a smaller panel by about 2" shorter. The starter floor button (bell crank) is also used on the early gas models like the "Studabaker REO" in the early 1950's.

DavidWymore

I will compare gauge panel to my later model parts truck.

I think I have an ooooldie. The bell crank isn't electrical, it just engages the starter.

Thanks!

Jeepsinker

The dash may well have been swapped out though. It seems like whoever did the work sat the two trucks side by side and just transplanted enough parts to make everything work, quite possibly including the dash and cluster. I could probably tell you all you needed to know if I was there to look at it, but I'm over a thousand miles away... Much harder to do all this figuring over the internet and phone.

DavidWymore

I was thinking the same thing, I could do some videos. Tour of the deuce and my donor.

I was adding up costs off the top of my head and I think by the time I replace all the rotted out rubber parts, electrical, and do all the brakes, tires, as well as repair the radiator, I could've bought another Deuce! But one piece at a time like Johnny Cash will get it there I guess.

DavidWymore

Might get to go see Jack the green iron guru in Tucson tomorrow and look at all his stuff, I'm sure that will help. Maybe he will sell me a good truck minus engine.

Jeepsinker

Maybe they are just busy, or simply don't care to put any effort into the conversation. No telling. I can't say I blame them, there are plenty of threads I decline to post on because someone else will be along to say what I was going to say anyway, and I don't feel like explaining something. Us humans are inherently lazy ya know.

rustystud

Maybe they are just busy, or simply don't care to put any effort into the conversation. No telling. I can't say I blame them, there are plenty of threads I decline to post on because someone else will be along to say what I was going to say anyway, and I don't feel like explaining something. Us humans are inherently lazy ya know.
So true. I almost never post on "HH" problems since there are plenty of people who will and there are a ton of posts already about it. Same with tires.

Eaglhawk

Actually I had an old gasser 2 1/2 ton that did not have a VIN # on the frame that we could find. After a week going over the frame with a fine tooth comb, we simply had the UHP submit a new VIN # made for it in Utah...

Eaglhawk

Also I have about 8 m35a1 gassers and a couple dozen m35a2's diesels. Now I have found from experience that some gas versions were converted to diesels and had various adaptor plates and sheet metal body parts made for the conversions. The older gassers did not have the tachometer in the guage cluster, the firewall is slightly different, motormounts different, (rebuilt diesel ones will have adaptor), front fenders different (or modified), etc...

DavidWymore

Thank you, Eaglhawk! I think you and I have some of the same thing. I think it's kind of cool if a bit odd. Old REO style with 5 ton power, ha ha!

I have been an avid forum user for at least a decade, for whatever I'm into. I'm a member on more than I could think of or count, not that I use them all. I think this forum suffers from something I've noticed on a lot of them, forum burnout. Basically, all the info is already out there, and the guys who know are tired of answering noob questions and/or have moved on to other things. I understand, but it makes for a very noob unfriendly environment, and probably doesn't help the hobby. Sure a guy can search, but it's SO much faster and easier if people will give him a couple pointers. Course I am just as guilty of being selfish with my time as the next guy.

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
A lot of it has to do with there isn't a lot of folks on here that have M35 slick knowledge most gassers that are still rolling around are the M135/211. Oh and I run dual xl's 11.00 on my 35A2;-)

DavidWymore

After talking to Jack and looking at his trucks, not sure, but it looks to be a USMC 1959 Studebaker that originally had an LDS 427 and was swapped to an LDS 465 (5 ton engine).

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To clarify, I didn't mean to sound snarky or demanding, and I wasn't referring to rusty or sinker :)

Just seems like there used to be a lot of guys around that knew a lot, and not much going on anymore...
Well Jeepsinker answered your question in post #2 and since I agreed with him I hit the "thanks" button rather than making a post that said the same thing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks