• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Old Studebaker Plant in South Bend, IN

Wrench Wench

Someone in a comment said they looked like WWII era stuff, which is why I put it in here. Then again, now that I apply some logic to it... WWII multifuel does sound oxymoronic. In any case, it's all gone anyway.

wdbtchr

Looking at the closeups it definitely multi fuels, however they apprear to be used take outs. Notice the rust, corrosion, and assorted damage to various plarts. Still seems such a waste even if they're not new.

dependable

cool photos. I was once a studebaker fan when I had a 6e12d truck. subscribed to a publication they had called Turning Wheels. These folks would have more info if anyone does.

Wrench Wench

I'd love to have been able to glomp onto a few of the more choice of those back when no one was looking. Get an m813/14 and swap the multifuel in with the original 5-spd manual and used the rest of the engines for various other truck projects/generator installations.

Hmmm. I didn't see that thread when I started this thread.

Last edited:

rtjraleigh

Banned
when i work for the grand trunk railroad we use to go by there on the mainline. my grandfather use to switch out the plant when he was an engineer.

M-37Bruce

I thought I had stumbled onto the old thread till I saw the dates. To loose all of that iron is bad, but they probably bulldozed the entire site?
Thanks WW for bringing it back to light.
:cry:

wdbtchr

Too bad Epay wasn't around in those days, could have sold them in lots of 5 or 10 and made a lot more that scrap prices. Oh well, we can only dream now. Probably sold the lot to some developer for cheap to build another empty shopping center, that's progress?

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went looking for these photos using Google because they remind me of why I value these old, archaic trucks.

The photos are art in that they capture and convey many things beyond the parts lying in wait: war industrialization, mass production, economies of scale and so on.

Thanks to Brian and wrench wrench for finding and sharing these images.

Rick