• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Old tent, how do I put this up?

TheDrashStash

I've purchased another lot of tents and came across this oldie. I'm having a hard time finding info and I do not think I have the correct poles. The closest thing I can find are pictures when I look up ww2 tents. Any info would be appreciated as I would like to refurbish this old tent

Attachments

TheDrashStash

Is the picture of the pitched tent an example of what you have? Does your tent have stenciled data painted on it anywhere? The poles you have pictured look like GP medium poles.
Yes it appears to be the same model as the pitched tent I posted. Oddly I couldn't find anything stenciled on the canvas. You're right about the poles, I got a GP small hexagon in the mix, but this tent doesn't use them

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First thing you do is get a Saturday morning working party of all the privates who are on restriction. Then you march them to supply to get the tent by a senior E-3 who is REALLY angry he is giving up his liberty because the stupid staff NCO delegated this crap to him, march them to the area you want the tent erected, give them some vague instructions about where it should be set up and a ballpark time frame, then you go home, start your barbeque pit and finish your weekend liberty, then ream them all Monday morning when it isn't done correctly.

(At least that's how my unit would do it).

Guyfang

Staff member
I had a folding chair. I would erect it close enough to the "Extra Training" site to observe and make helpful comments, but far enough away to not get somehow injured by foreign objects. Then, we could get to work! When using a tent as a training object, we would erect and disassemble it at least 4 times.

Ground rods were my favorite! A bundle of rods, 12 ea. would be driven in rocky soil, and when fully emplaced, (3 inches of rod above the ground level) would be found to be a "Safety Hazard". Someone could stumble over them in the dark. Whereupon, they would need to be removed from the ground. Normally, one application would provide the proper "Attitude Adjustment". Rare was a second, needed.

Thank you SFC Lonny Holland. My you RIP.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I had a folding chair. I would erect it close enough to the "Extra Training" site to observe and make helpful comments, but far enough away to not get somehow injured by foreign objects. Then, we could get to work! When using a tent as a training object, we would erect and disassemble it at least 4 times.

Ground rods were my favorite! A bundle of rods, 12 ea. would be driven in rocky soil, and when fully emplaced, (3 inches of rod above the ground level) would be found to be a "Safety Hazard". Someone could stumble over them in the dark. Whereupon, they would need to be removed from the ground. Normally, one application would provide the proper "Attitude Adjustment". Rare was a second, needed.

Thank you SFC Lonny Holland. My you RIP.
Guy, It's really easy to laugh about that stupid stuff now.
On the receiving end - and later on the giving end too.

Guyfang

Staff member
Yes sir! My first "extra training from SFC Holland, was filling 500 sand bags, after 18:00 hours, on the TAC Site. The second was 1000 sand bags. The third was changing all the track pads on a M548 type tracked vehicle. There was no such thing as pneumatic tools back then. All after 18:00 hours. I had help with the sand bags, or would still be there today.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
What would today's snowflakes do if faced with old school training?
I understand they even have a timeout card for recruit training. I know nothing more than that. How many times before you are sent home for good and so on... I personally wouldn't want to be "in a spot" and have somebody like that covering my back.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks