• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Old tire disposal

Lorax

While crawling around under the truck today checking fluids, I was looking at the spare tire, both mine and the truck's. Mine probably won't go away anytime soon, but the truck's is dry rotted and unusable.

Knowing that there are places that sell newer 9x20 NDT tires already mounted on wheels, what does everyone do with their old tires that are still mounted on the split rims?

I can just picture leaving a few in the back yard to eventually rot enough to fail and make loud boom noises when they come apart. I have no idea if they would even do that, but a fellow at work is a retired Marine mech, and he tells some hair raising stories about these split rims when the tires go flat, if they weren't assembled correctly.

pa.rich

Just deflate them and you could take the valve stem out.The scrap yard will take ours in N.y. side of the line and they deduct only $2.00 for the charge. Used to be they wouldnt take the tires but now they do. I would rather get rid of them than bury them.I dont see how they could explode if they have no air pressure in them.

emr

As far as split rims go these are pretty safe for sure, it is when they are airing up that they need to be in a cage, remember they can be aired down to 15 LB's of air and perform in the utmost awesome conditions...Randy

Lorax

So there isn't a concern with the compressed rim sections coming apart? I've heard that there is a danger when airing up, but isn't there also a danger when airing down to zero pressure? This is all a learning experience.

Barrman

I think there is one thing you need to keep in mind. There are split rims and split ring rims. Split rims is what most people think of when they hear about exploding tires and rims.

The military used split ring rims. Way different design and much, much safer. Spend $20 or whatever your local semi truck tire place charges. Take the bad rim to them and have them pull it apart. Watch how they do it, take the parts home and put it together without a tire on there. Now, take it apart!

You will figure out that the tire bead has to be 1-2 inches off the ring edge before you can pry the ring off. That is why so many of the above post say as long as you have more than 15 psi or so or no air in them that there is no danger.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While we're on the subject, Last week one of our guys was changing a tire out on one of our tractor trailer rigs (11r/ 24.5). As he was airing it up the sidewall blew out :shock: . He had the tire leaning against the truck and the back side blew throwing the tire and wheel at him with great force. Luckly it only blacked both his eyes and his sholder was sore for a few days. It could have been alot worse. The concusion from the "rapid decompression" of the tire blew out a window in the shop that was atleast 30 feet away. This was a tubeless tire so any tire can be dangerous.
Be safe guys :) .

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
BUT! It was during the airing up process. As stated, that is the "pucker factor" with tires. I just wanted to clarify that for Lorax. I agree Tim, seeing it done once is a HUGE help.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow! m16ty, that's something! Glad he's o.k., but what a close call!

I guess i've not been of clear understanding either, about these matters. My dad had a 1973 Ford F250 "Camper Special" pick-up, (actually still has it), and it had "split rims." I remember him talking about the dangers. As a kid, I didn't really understand the design, but I've always envisioned the rim "popping" off like a snap ring that you are peeling out of its groove, if that makes sense. I pictured basically a LARGE snap ring flying through the air and smacking someone. I thought that would occur with or without air pressure in the tire, especially if you had a flat and the rim dropped onto the pavement.

Can I put these horrible childhood visions to rest? :cry:

It doesn't happen this way? :shock:

ah1955

What m16ty talked about is what is called zippering, if a tire has had some type injuire like side wall curbing or run flat the risk is much higher. But even a new tire can do this that why ever truck tire should be caged when inflated. I was told that the biggest risk is within the first 40 lb. and if a tubeless tire makes it past that you are O.K.

FormerNewMVGuy

When i mount split ring rims, ( these days only deuce rims) I lay the tire ring down,use a clip on air chuck and air it up, I ussually put about 20 lbs in the tire, stand it up facing away from me and tap on the ring all the way around with a large rubber mallet to make sure the ring is seated in the groove,Then finish airing it up. the rings on the military rims have a deeper lip than the old regular split rings, I cant see one coming off if you clean the rim and the ring with a wire wheel prior to mounting. Also common sense goes a long way when doing this kind of work!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The ones that everyone talks about that's so dangerous is the old 2-piece wheels. The wheel acually separates in 2 halves. They go together by putting the 2 halves together a twisting them to lock into place if I remember correctly. They have been known to come apart fully aired, flat, and anywhere in between. I saw the results of a loaded log truck with 2 piece wheels and the wheel came apart while going down a log road. It hit a 8" white oak and went all the way through it. If someone had been standing there it would have cut them in halve.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Even the split RING rims used on the M35A2 are dangerous... ALWAYS use a tire cage.. If the ring isnt seated correctly, it will blow, and it will take your (insert body part thats in the way of it here) off... When I was in the Army, I saw perfect circles embedded into to the ceiling of the motorpool garages. I asked about it, and they pointed to a deuce rim..........

While I admit none of us are going to do this, the outcome with the split ring is the same.. That sucker goes FLYING........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPWDCuT60Os

aboonski

The easy way to dispose of your old 9:00x20s is to first, cut out the bead with a sabre saw or reciprocating saw; when you complete that step you will have the only steel in the tire and a 20 inch O-Ring so to speak. Second, you take a reciprocating saw with one of those long metal-cutting blades and chuck it into the saw. Next, elevate the tire between two concrete blocks and start cutting through the tire where you once had a bead. Cut the tire into "fourths" and now you have something that can easily be disposed of inside a black trash bag one-fourth at a time.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
m16ty said:
The ones that everyone talks about that's so dangerous is the old 2-piece wheels. The wheel acually separates in 2 halves. They go together by putting the 2 halves together a twisting them to lock into place if I remember correctly. They have been known to come apart fully aired, flat, and anywhere in between. I saw the results of a loaded log truck with 2 piece wheels and the wheel came apart while going down a log road. It hit a 8" white oak and went all the way through it. If someone had been standing there it would have cut them in halve.
After re-reading my post I think I should have been clearer. I didn't mean to sound like the split-ring wheels ( like's on a deuce) weren't dangerous. I was just trying to say that the 2-piece wheels were more dangerous. I've been around big trucks and heavy equipment all my life and I have to remind myself sometimes that there are alot of people getting into deuces that have never been around this type of equipment before. I would hate for someone to mame or kill theirself airing up a 9.00/20 just like they would their Toyota. I Never air up a split-ring tire without chaining it or you can mount the wheel on the back before airing it up so if the ring comes off all it can do is hit the other wheel.

Lorax

OK. So it sounds like the airing up process is dangerous depending on whether the ring is seated correctly. Seated correctly and it's fine. Seated incorrectly and the tire pressure can pop the ring off the rim with non-fun results.

For information, the mech at work said that whenever they had to air up a tire, and they didn't have a cage to put it in, he'd wrap it in a heavy chain and lay it one the ground to air up. He said every now and then the ring popped off and made the whole tire jump off the ground, but the chain kept the rim from becoming a projectile.

CGarbee

It's splitting hairs, but the tire on a duece is actually a "lock ring" according to the info that I have in a Tire and Rim Association yearbook... If your shopping for a tire shop that will work on two piece wheel assemblies, it's much better if you say that you have lock rings... :)

The military TM on tires and wheels is really good reading if you have concerns about these things...

Lorax, which Hampton are you located in?? Somebody near you may want your old rims if you don't... The old tires can be disposed of at any of your "normal" tire drop off sites (county/city landfill, tire shop, etc) that accepts truck tires...

FreightTrain

Banned
Easiest way I have found to get rid of tires is wait till about 9PM on a New moon night at the race ship and chunk it on the bonfire.Only one at a time.

ygmir

I've seen lock rings come off. It can be ugly.
Even if you think it's on correctly, clean, etc. it's good to at least wrap a chain through and around the rim/ring/tire, in at least two spots, so, if it doe's come apart, it doesn't go flying. If it's only secured in one spot, that acts as a hinge and can still do serious damage............

good luck,