• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ON BOARD AIR?

rolling18

I gave up on compressors years ago in favor of the co2 tank.
IMO the only way to go if running large tires, You can build it yourself or go to a company like Powertank.com and buy one. Keep in mind that your regulator will get icy when airing up large tires or running an impact wrench so the regulator you chose must be able to deal with the low temps.
how much capacity do you get running just the tank with no compressor?how do you fill the tank?

REF

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good questions, my local welding supplier keeps CO2 tanks in stock for all of the soda fountains in town, so you can just swap out for a full one. I have fancy powder coated tanks so I drop them off have have mine filled. CO2 it cheap but every few years they have to hydro test them before refilling them for safety.
The CO2 is done by weight not PSI I have a 10lb and a 20lb bottle pretty easy to tell when a bottle is getting low. The 20lb bottle sits in the shop for the times I want to blow things off / out and don't want to charge up a compressor.
How long will a bottle last is hard to answer, I use a 10lb bottle in about a year on my jeep running 12.5 x 34 on 15 inch rims airing down from 32 to 12 and back up to 32 multiple times per season.
It last because when compressed it turns to liquid and turns back to gas as it is released (much like a propane tank) so like a propane bottle you can tell when getting low by weight.
If interested check price of CO2 and bottle rental at your local welding outlet, you can purchase a high flow CO2 regulator from Amazon and you are off and running cheap or you can purchase a complete system (but they have gotten vary expensive since they have caught on)

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don’t know anything about these but I shore do like them! 24v and all.

I ended up getting 4 of those a couple years back, they were part of a surplus fuel delivery system ( would pressurize a bladder tank IIRC) I just picked up all the extra goodies from Extreme Outback, high temp check valves and high temp hoses etc, they are running a free shipping for anything over $99 until sometime mid Dec. supposed to be really dependable but have not installed them yet.

Last edited:

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ended up getting 4 of those a couple years back, they were part of a surplus fuel delivery system ( would pressurize a bladder tank IIRC) I just picked up all the extra goodies from Extreme Outback, high temp check valves and high temp hoses etc, they are running a free shipping for anything over $99 until sometime mid Dec. supposed to be really dependable but have no installed them yet.
I was reading the specs on outback’s website and it said it had a maximum of 200psi and can run 24/7 at 150psi. Never heard of such a thing

REF

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ebay has some used Extreme outback compressors mounted as a pair in a frame that were part of a military refueling site setup.

The pop off valve on the system is 30psi, but it's easy enough to swap out for something higher pressure if you're keeping them in the frame, or just remove the compressors from the frame and run them however you want.

They are the same 200psi max/ 150psi 100% duty cycle compressors, the only difference is the filter is a rubber collar type as opposed to a thread on. I found some inexpensive filters that worked just fine to replace the old ones.

The company says you should rebuild the compressors every 1000 hours of use if that tells you how well they should hold up.

Picture taken from ebay listing
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

(I don't feel the need for on board air, so I just strap mine in the back of the truck whenever I'm going off roading or whatever. It has a slave cable on it to plug into the truck and a switch on the frame so I will sometimes just leave it plugged in with the cable run out through the door frame.)

for around $650 shipped for a pair of the compressors is about what you'd pay for a single one from the manufacturer.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought two of those setups, much cheaper a couple years ago, those foam filters were toast just from age (no big deal), like the pictures they were never used.
I would suspect because of the low pressure application these also do not have the high temp output hose that would be required in normal operation but E. O. did tell me the compressors were the same as the high pressure units.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought two of those setups, much cheaper a couple years ago, those foam filters were toast just from age (no big deal), like the pictures they were never used.
I would suspect because of the low pressure application these also do not have the high temp output hose that would be required in normal operation but E. O. did tell me the compressors were the same as the high pressure units.
Ebay has some used Extreme outback compressors mounted as a pair in a frame that were part of a military refueling site setup.

The pop off valve on the system is 30psi, but it's easy enough to swap out for something higher pressure if you're keeping them in the frame, or just remove the compressors from the frame and run them however you want.

They are the same 200psi max/ 150psi 100% duty cycle compressors, the only difference is the filter is a rubber collar type as opposed to a thread on. I found some inexpensive filters that worked just fine to replace the old ones.

The company says you should rebuild the compressors every 1000 hours of use if that tells you how well they should hold up.

Picture taken from ebay listing
View attachment 885187

View attachment 885188

(I don't feel the need for on board air, so I just strap mine in the back of the truck whenever I'm going off roading or whatever. It has a slave cable on it to plug into the truck and a switch on the frame so I will sometimes just leave it plugged in with the cable run out through the door frame.)

for around $650 shipped for a pair of the compressors is about what you'd pay for a single one from the manufacturer.
Hey Mog, seems to me you’re not the only one who bought one of those setups. Coug, the pics you posted are bang on.

Now my new to me M1165 has 12k spindles so it is ready for CTIS. Looks like I will be setting it up. I already have the CTIS manifold from an H1 Hummer. 😉

IIRC, I bought my compressor based on one of your posts several years ago Mog. Thanks.

Last edited:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking back through my purchase history, I bought a Uni 2 stage pod filter, UP-4182ST, to replace the rotten ones.
They are much larger in overall size so stick out the side of the cage a slight bit, but otherwise are just fine.

rolling18

Good questions, my local welding supplier keeps CO2 tanks in stock for all of the soda fountains in town, so you can just swap out for a full one. I have fancy powder coated tanks so I drop them off have have mine filled. CO2 it cheap but every few years they have to hydro test them before refilling them for safety.
The CO2 is done by weight not PSI I have a 10lb and a 20lb bottle pretty easy to tell when a bottle is getting low. The 20lb bottle sits in the shop for the times I want to blow things off / out and don't want to charge up a compressor.
How long will a bottle last is hard to answer, I use a 10lb bottle in about a year on my jeep running 12.5 x 34 on 15 inch rims airing down from 32 to 12 and back up to 32 multiple times per season.
It last because when compressed it turns to liquid and turns back to gas as it is released (much like a propane tank) so like a propane bottle you can tell when getting low by weight.
If interested check price of CO2 and bottle rental at your local welding outlet, you can purchase a high flow CO2 regulator from Amazon and you are off and running cheap or you can purchase a complete system (but they have gotten vary expensive since they have caught on)
Can you run air tools off the tank?
what kind of fittings do you plumb onto a C02 tank?
how many PSI is a 10LB tank capable of inflating a tire to?...
or operating a tool?
I have never heard of this type of setup,...mand love the souns and economics of it//

Last edited:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
or operating a tool?
I have never heard of this type of setup,...mand love the souns and economics of it//
You get a standard CO2 high pressure tank regulator (can buy online or wherever you buy the tank from)

You can run air tools no problem, as the flow rate on them is usually really high, as in your normal 12/24V compressor might be rated at 1-2 cubic feet per minute at 90psi for a decent compressor, these setups can do 40+ CFM at the same pressure.

the tank will be 700-900 PSI when full, so how high you inflate the tire to is entirely up to you, but easily more than enough to blow it up if you aren't careful.

One ten pound tank can fill a couple dozen decent sized tires before needing refilled.

Recently I saw a guy pull a scuba air tank out of his trunk, change the fitting on it, and use it to inflate his car. Exact same idea, just a different source of pressurized gas.

If you want to learn more, there are several commercial units out there you can take a look at. A little more expensive than assembling one yourself from individual pieces, but they will have everything you need and support to go with it.

Examples
(I'm not endorsing any of the below products, as I have a more than adequate air compressor setup)

(this link they have several charts showing about how many tires you can reinflate and what types of air tools and amount of use you can get out of different sized tanks)

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
or operating a tool?
Good source without having to be a certified SCUBA Diver is the local Paintball shops. SCUBA tanks won't be refilled by the local dive shop if you aren't a card carrying diver. Safety. People are stupid and without training, people tend to die if they have air in a tank and try to play under water.

Air in a tank to refill your paintball gun has the same safety requirements - visual inspections and pressure testing - but all you need is money to get these refilled.

Both tanks will require a regulator because 2000psi (or more) is Bad MoJo if you attach that sort of pressure to an air gun or tire to inflate it.

REF

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I included a link to a regulator like I use, it screws onto the tank and has a std air hose coupler on it. It is a fixed 150psi output so nothing else other than an air hose and tool is needed. CO2 expands something like 800 times it's compressed volume which is why it works for me over compressed air and will fill many times more tires per bottle than air will. Vary portable, easy to carry to where the air is needed.

Not promoting any brand just saying that this type of system has been vary handy both when wheeling and at home.

HUNvee

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a scuba tank with a firefighter harness and regulator. It has originaly the standard fitting for air tools.
A composit tank is lightweight.
And the local firefighters refill it! 😉

rolling18

You get a standard CO2 high pressure tank regulator (can buy online or wherever you buy the tank from)

You can run air tools no problem, as the flow rate on them is usually really high, as in your normal 12/24V compressor might be rated at 1-2 cubic feet per minute at 90psi for a decent compressor, these setups can do 40+ CFM at the same pressure.

the tank will be 700-900 PSI when full, so how high you inflate the tire to is entirely up to you, but easily more than enough to blow it up if you aren't careful.

One ten pound tank can fill a couple dozen decent sized tires before needing refilled.

Recently I saw a guy pull a scuba air tank out of his trunk, change the fitting on it, and use it to inflate his car. Exact same idea, just a different source of pressurized gas.

If you want to learn more, there are several commercial units out there you can take a look at. A little more expensive than assembling one yourself from individual pieces, but they will have everything you need and support to go with it.

Examples
(I'm not endorsing any of the below products, as I have a more than adequate air compressor setup)

(this link they have several charts showing about how many tires you can reinflate and what types of air tools and amount of use you can get out of different sized tanks)

thats all some great info!! but i take back what i said about "economical" for those costs I could get a very nice ARB or similar onboard air setup!
over $500 for the "cheap" one... those are all a bit out of budget.. :( but good source of info for another option! thanks!

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
thats all some great info!! but i take back what i said about "economical" for those costs I could get a very nice ARB or similar onboard air setup!
over $500 for the "cheap" one... those are all a bit out of budget.. :( but good source of info for another option! thanks!
those are premade kits.
You can piece it together for cheaper, but unless you're really serious about it and using it regularly, buying a decent portable compressor is a lot more economical

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks