• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

On glow plugs for 10 seconds?

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Does that sound about correct? Key on, 10 seconds and it starts nice and easy. If I immediately shift into gear the glow light comes on for a second or less once or twice. Time for new plugs or is this the usual sequence? Was reading on swollen glow plugs and this popped into my head.

alburms311

Ten seconds is good. The few times it has be in the 30s here mine stays on a bit longer. I have not observed my Wait light coming back on again, but it may be due to the "afterglow" cycle and being in gear? I haven't put mine in gear until after the high idle has gone down, that could have something to do with it. Have you tested your plugs? Im sure there are others who can help more....

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Maybe so, runs like a new truck so I cannot complain. Nope, was not aware I could test them :)

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
I love these diesel trucks, meanwhile my civi Dodge is bent a valve due to a lifter sticking.

Barneyrubble

What plugs are they?,60g's will burn for 10 secs to get up to temperature,and if its really cold, the plugs may cycle on and off a few times after start up,thats normal.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Good question. I have one of the strange CUCV's, its ex Navy USO so all CICV aside from: 700R4, 3.73's and 12 volt aside from 24v radio inverter. How do I check the glow plug brand, pull one out?