• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

On the Fence

Diablito

Hi all, I'm new to the site and interested in maybe purchasing a Deuce and bobbing it. I'm a jeep guy and I love my wrangler, it is nimble and can fit thru narrow trails but offers little room for gear and passengers. I think that a bobbed deuce would be a vehicle that could cross a desert wash, climb a steep hill, recover vehicles, and carry dirtbikes, moutainbike and passengers into remote areas. My buddy has ranch land up in SoCal's high desert not far from johnson valley or joshua tree and the vehicle would be stored up there.
But I'm kinda on the fence about adding another vehicle to the fleet. I've tried to do some research but I'm having trouble finding straight forward answers. 1) power steering is a must! Some of the ladies in the group are rather petite and strong arming sucks anyways. I've read tidbits about "air steering" and "hydrorolic" but I know that there are a bunch that don't have any steering assist. Tell me what I need to know.
2) Locking Differentials. My jeeps has lockers and I can't imagine 4x4ing with out them. Do these trucks come with lockers? I know detroit makes lockers for rockwells but they are pricey and I haven't found used ones.
3) I like the A3 because it is newer and has a Cat engine. But it also has an auto trans which makes me nervous. Are there A3s with Cat and manual trans?
Thanks

AceHigh

The A3 comes with air assist steering. What is scaring you about the auto? They are in thousands of school busses and other applications. Also the two speed transfer case puts a lot of slow power at your disposal.

Upgrade a non-power steering to air assist for about $1000. Hydro power can cost more. There is no "kit" for hydro steering.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Detroits are around 4 to 500$. Not hard to find either. I actually find them less pricey than say a Dana 44 or Dana 60. You would have to add them, they don't come with them.

Diablito

I've always thought that auto transmissions aren't up to the torque of a diesel. But I have some friends that swear by the Alison transmissions behind their duramax engines. An auto also might be nice if the girls take it out.
Does anyone have an A3 with lockers front and rear? I know it's not going to be a rockcrawler but I would like to take it on some gnar stuff.
2speed transfer case? Does that mean it has 2 lowranges? Is it twin stick? Can i disengage the front axle while in 4low for ease of turning?
I am not familiar with air assisted steering. How reliable is it? Does it give you the same ease as hydro?
Man oh man do I ever have a case of the "I wants"!

oddshot

Use the search function above. You will have all of the info you need and 99% of your questions answered.
Yeah ... and search over on the Modification and Hod Rodding thread ... There's a bunch of stuff on bobbers over there

BTW ... welcome aboard ... good to have you.

oddshot

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
No, the T-case is the same as you jeeps 2 speed case, hi and low. The air assist is not as good as hydro steering but better than none. You can run in 2wd low but usually that helps less(capability wise) as the trucks are heavy.
Not sure how far Hundy is from you, but you should probably go check out his trucks.

Diablito

hundy is less than an hour from my buddies ranch. Definatley going to go check out his lot. I might opt to bid at auction myself if it will save me a bunch. I'm a welder by trade so I feel confident bobbing it and building a cage myself. Thanks for all the advice.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Just going and getting an idea of weather an A2 or A3 is for you. Its not a bad idea to do a little research before you buy a truck.