• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"On the road again..."

Celticlady

Every where I will use my LMTV will be past the boonedocks. Mostly cuz that is where I live. I'm a 65 year female. I need all the mechanical leverage I can think of.

I bought a 1" impact for the lug nuts. You say How will you run it? The truck can supply all the air I need. I have 2)-30 ft air hoses one with the glandhand another with std shop QD.

I put a QD on the wet tank to pre-pressurize the system from my shop compressor. We do the same thing at the fire station. I can also use that as another air tap.

I have a 1" x 40" breaker bar as well.

I put my jack and jack accessories in the 50 ca ammo can where the decontamination equipment was mounted

I have chocks, another jack and chain in the tool box.

The impact, hoses, snatch blocks and tree saver all go in the storage box behind the dr seat.

When I am out trail riding and need to air up my air mattress, or river rafts or somebody elses tire... no problem.

Now I have a cold one while listening to tunes as well.

Still working on the lights Getting close.

🍻🏕🎷

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Every where I will use my LMTV will be past the boonedocks. Mostly cuz that is where I live. I'm a 65 year female. I need all the mechanical leverage I can think of.

I bought a 1" impact for the lug nuts. You say How will you run it? The truck can supply all the air I need. I have 2)-30 ft air hoses one with the glandhand another with std shop QD.

I put a QD on the wet tank to pre-pressurize the system from my shop compressor. We do the same thing at the fire station. I can also use that as another air tap.

I have a 1" x 40" breaker bar as well.

I put my jack and jack accessories in the 50 ca ammo can where the decontamination equipment was mounted

I have chocks, another jack and chain in the tool box.

The impact, hoses, snatch blocks and tree saver all go in the storage box behind the dr seat.

When I am out trail riding and need to air up my air mattress, or river rafts or somebody elses tire... no problem.

Now I have a cold one while listening to tunes as well.

Still working on the lights Getting close.

🍻🏕🎷
Best I could determine - with a little guessing - that Capri impact wrench uses about 6cfm @ 90#. The air tank that you would be using from appears to be 5 gallons (Just a GUESS on my part). On a good day, I would imagine busting one lug nut off before you run out of air. Then it is time to wait for the truck compressor to air up the wet tank again. A larger diameter air line for a 1 inch impact keeps it from "starving" for air.

Adding another tank up inside the frame using at least a 3/4 inch line between tanks will give you a longer burst of air. Then it will be time to air up again. Air Power definitely beats hustling lug nuts with a breaker bar... I just believe you will encounter air limitations.

You could use a ball valve to turn off a secondary wet tank for normal driving. DOT approved lines and fittings are really important.

Just food for thought: I would definitely test how well the impact works on truck air before you are on the side of the road or down a long dusty trail with a flat.

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I love my Milwaukee 3/4 impact. It will bust loose even the toughest lug nuts. And go till the job is done. It charges quickly as well, from my vehicle or standard wall socket.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Ronmar

Before attacking lug nuts, make sure that you know the left side studs are left handed.

Ask me how I know.....
Yep! Does that impact deliver full torque in both directions? The one cheapie AI that I have does not... For the LMTV I got and use a 63:1 torque multiplier(Think it was about $90). 450FT/LB = 7FT/LB on the multiplier hand crank, so no real issue to crank around the hand crank to break them free. once they are cracked I use an electric impact to spin them off and back on. In theory you could re-torque them with the multiplier, but accurately measuring the 7.15 ft/lb of torque applied to the multiplier becomes problematic as any error gets multiplied 63 times...

Torque sensors are reasonably affordable and would be more accurate IMO. “Give me a long enough lever and I will move the world” #75 at the end of a 6’ bar = 450 FT/LB, so you could achieve the same result with a long bar and a #0-100 pull scale...

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nah Celticlady has the right idea with using the air tool. If you bump up the idle when running the tool, the compressor can keep up easy. Battery tools are useless in the boondocks when the battery is dead.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am in full support of Celticlady too. I use an IR 1 inch impact and do not care if I have to pause occasionally as air rebuilds. At my age I enjoy time to take a break in the midst of a roadside tire change. Knowing that the impact is fully bi-directional is a great idea.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Nah Celticlady has the right idea with using the air tool. If you bump up the idle when running the tool, the compressor can keep up easy. Battery tools are useless in the boondocks when the battery is dead.
Why they make cigarette lighter chargers, even solar rechargers

Celticlady

Lots of fun comments guys👏👏

All the other girls were doing their home ex classes I was in the auto shop.

I have been working on cars all my life. I was a tire buster at GY when I was a Junior in HS. lots of cars and trucks had left hand threads then.

The impact is rated st 2000ftlbs at 90 psi. Yes its fully bi directional. But does have a second lower setting for tightening rh threads. Lmtv Cut off is 120. Yes that hose is really to small if I need to really crank on a lug nut. I have a 1/2 line with large high flow QDs in the shop. After I got the impact I removed every lug nut and grease it. Then torqued it to a range that if i had to I could stand on the 40" breaker bar.

I have been impressed how much air the LMTV compressor makes. I have the oem winch so I have the hand throttle.

I tried to find one of those torque multipliers. I did find one. It must have been gold plated. For less $ I bought the impact, hose breaker bar and sockets. That I can use on any other projects. Which it seems I have plenty.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks