• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

On The Road To Recovery!

cyberspace_7

This is a continuation of a previous listed post, so I have added the link to it...

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/trailers/40466-my-first-military-vehicle.html

I originally thought it would take about a week or two to get on the road and recovery my "baby" (M105 trailer), but with an unexpected job change and all those "need to get done" projects before the snow flies it took two months to get this recovery done! I borrowed a friends expedition to get the job done. Dad borrowed the trailer light setup and the pinnacle hook from SGTStewart. THANK YOU!!!!! Picked them up from his place on the way up to pick up the trailer. Fun to meet up with another enthusiast in the area!

The recovery it's self went pretty smooth. Got up to where we were picking it up and got hooked up and put the trailer lights on. Everything worked smooth and on our way we were! DIDN'T EVEN MAKE IT A MILE AND WE ENDED UP WITH FLASHING CHERRIES BEHIND US!!! Yep got pulled over for the rear end of the trailer being to high in the air! We were thinking this is not a good start to the trip home. The officer was more informative than anything else though. Let us know the laws here in Minnesota and why they were set up that way. Told us that sometimes us "military types" scare him. I guess he had pulled over a Willy's jeep a few weeks earlier with a 50 cal mounted on her. It turned out to be a dummy, but he said you can never be to careful these days! Sense we were heading 150 miles south from his jurisdiction he basically said he understood we had to get it home, but he didn't want to see us using it as a daily trailer...get out of my county! We told him we had the appropriate vehicle at home to pull it...the deuce! He said he wished he could have seen that! He also let us know the state troopers might not be so nice...But we only got a verbal warning!!! :-D Started making me thing I might be writing about the X amount of times I was pulled over on the way home though. But that was the only time. Otherwise she pulled strait and true!!!

Thanks dad for the trailer and coming to get it with me!!!! Also thanks for such a flashy thread name:wink:!

Now I bet some people around here want some pictures....:roll::grin:

Attachments

cyberspace_7

The officer said the maximum bumper height is 25 inches and that we were "at least" a few inches above that! :-D I never measured when I got home... :twisted: Guess I didn't need to make a point to myself. I was just glad we didn't get a ticket! I WAS thinking however I've seen worse pictured on SS!:-D:wink::-D:wink: I thought we were relatively "level"...

Nonotagain

The officer said the maximum bumper height is 25 inches and that we were "at least" a few inches above that! :-D I never measured when I got home... :twisted: Guess I didn't need to make a point to myself. I was just glad we didn't get a ticket! I WAS thinking however I've seen worse pictured on SS!:-D:wink::-D:wink: I thought we were relatively "level"...

With the trailer sitting level, the rear bumperette still sits higher than 25". The trailer bed height is 37", so unless you mount a pintle in the bed of your truck you still won't get to the 25" inch height.

Most states had a requirement for commercial vehicles that you needed mud flaps if the distance from the ground to bumper was greater than the from the rear of the vehicle to the tire.

Boatcarpenter

Looks like flipping the lunette would have gotten you a few inches so you never would have been stopped. But, I have to agree with Kenny, a pretty lame traffic stop.
BC

redcoat54th

I thought about flipping the lunette, but the trailer had seen some rough outdoor weather and she was rusted in place. A little PB Blaster should free it up. Anyway the father son team is now on the road. I always had to pull mike in his little red waggon as a kid, now I can pull his little green "waggon" around to shows. See, as you get older the price of your waggon increases thats all! :roll:

cyberspace_7

Nonotagain -With the trailer sitting level, the rear bumperette still sits higher than 25". The trailer bed height is 37", so unless you mount a pintle in the bed of your truck you still won't get to the 25" inch height.
Yea, that's what I thought! But I suppose with it being towed behind a deuce it will look more correct and as long as it is in it's original military configuration, I don't believe they will say anything. I guess if you know what he is pulling you over for before he gets to the window, you probably are pushing it anyway! :oops: He was probably more interested to seeing if we were decked out in military wear and toting a back end load of guns or something...which we were most definitely not doing! Anyway it is home and now the restoration can start! :-D

NEIOWA

. Told us that sometimes us "military types" scare him. I guess he had pulled over a Willy's jeep a few weeks earlier with a 50 cal mounted on her. It turned out to be a dummy, but he said you can never be to careful these days! Sense we were heading 150 miles south from his jurisdiction he basically said he understood we had to get it home, but he didn't want to see us using it as a daily trailer...get out of my county! We told him we had the appropriate vehicle at home to pull it...the deuce! He said he wished he could have seen that! He also let us know the state troopers might not be so nice...But we only got a verbal warning

I hope you pointed out to Barney that he is a stupid as the junior senator from your Mn. Perhaps should run for Congress. "can never be to careful" what BS.

cyberspace_7

Since I have her home I was able to get a little close to the data plate (yea the neighbors may have thought I was giving it a hug...:p). Turns out it was delivered 3-30-1954. Manufactured by the yellow Cab Corp. and is designated XM105-E.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks