• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

On the road...

alphadeltaromeo

Just leaving now (6 a.m.) to head to Ft. Stewart to pick up my S280 shelter. Yes, I have cam and yes, I'll take pics hehe. The whole family is going, so this should be really fun!

Andy

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only time I went to Ft Stewart, the gate folks had no idea wht GL or DRMO was. I had to seek help to find it. If its still on the same place it's pretty close to the gate.

CGarbee

Well, if the guys at the gate are clueless about GL or DRMO, just tell them that you are going to:
Bldg 1152, 328 Italy St., and they should be ok...

Enjoy the trip, hope it all goes smoothly.

alphadeltaromeo

After the trip...

Had a really wonderful trip today with the family. Over 600 miles and lots to talk about and such. Ft. Stewart was decent...very large and lots to see. The folk did know what DRMO was fortunately, so that went well. They gave us a map of the base and told us exactly how to get where we were going. The GL individual was decent.

While he was loading the S280 on the trailer, he freaked a bit that we were taking pics, so we had to put the cam away...alas. I'm posting a bunch of pics of the trip. I don't have pics of the interior at this point, but shall get them tomorrow to finish posting.

I will say that I'm rather pleased with the S280. It was rebuilt in 2003, has a new ladder, new canopy set, new sledge hammer, new axe, a new nuts and bolts kit, new straps to attach to the deuce and has a host of shelves in it that I'll be removing and putting in my shop. there is really only one issue that isn't quite right and that's where a forklift put a small hole in one side. That can easily be rectified though. There are a number of electronic parts new in bags that I'll be giving OPCOM. It has full lighting inside and the electrical reel jack with cord to attach to a genset.

I'm really very pleased at this point...oh one thing that I didn't mention, but you'll see on the last pic...it was locked and on the way back I purchased a set of bolt cutters...couldn't cut through it grrr lol so I had to use my cutoff when I got home. The anticipation was fun.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: More

I'm really very pleased at this point...oh one thing that I didn't mention, but you'll see on the last pic...it was locked and on the way back I purchased a set of bolt cutters...couldn't cut through it grrr lol so I had to use my cutoff when I got home. The anticipation was fun.
So you had to wait about 6 hours to find out what was in it, are you going to wait 6 hours or more to show us the inside too? It's driving me nuts. :cookoo:

poppop

RE: More

How did you get to Stewart? If you came down I-16 to exit 27 you were 4 mikes from my house. There is lots of tan at Stewart, these pictures don't even scratch the surface. If you come in from the west side you drive right by the tank firing ranges. Usually tanks all around and soldiers camped.

alphadeltaromeo

RE: last one

Dawg...quite frankly, the majority of the iron that we saw was tan. There were only a few pieces that were other than that from what I recall.

Poppop...you're right...there is a ton of iron there...tons of it. We did come down 16 but I don't quite recall what exit we took, as we used the GPS for the majority of it until we arrived at the front gate. Next time we make the trek, I'll be sure to let you know!

blackdog

Man that thing even has a pencil sharpener... great buy!! Love that shelving, it really can't be beat....

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow ADR! an electronic repair shop! that means you get all the meters, circuit breakers,outlets, and stuff with it!! I saw the panel, and looks like you got the wiring diagram too. Note the hatch is for your A/C, beware the bolts holding it may have rusted to the captive nuts (I had to use a sawzall) and it will be a frame around the hole you can use for mounting a conventional a/c, but be sure to place the center of gravity on that frame, and keep the weight to 80 LBs. Also take care to tilt the a'c back so it will drain correctly even if the truck is at an angle, otherwise the water wil drip out the front as I found out the hard way and had to retrofit an extra drain. The frame is not designed to support much weight, but if you use an a/c that slides out of its cabinet, you can mount the cabinet and then slide the a/c in. Otherwise of you have the actual military a/c and the external mount kit, you can support more weight. Just don't want to see you mess up the wall by mistake as it's just a then skin over a square stock skeleton if it is made like mine is. I love those big cabinets, they are great for tools or maps, or electronic parts.

Here is a link to how I put inthe 8000BTU a/c in my S-280 after figuring this out.
http://www.bunkerofdoom.com/mil/m35/first/my_m35.htm

What electronic parts are you thinking of contributing to the cause? sounds interesting!! PM me on that! Also let me know what you might need along those lines if anything.

Attachments

alphadeltaromeo

Patrick

I actually have the mount kit for A/C in the shelter fortunately :beer: Now, the electronic parts are a number of circuit boards...some new in the bag. You may actually not have a use for them lol but you're surely welcome to them. I can take a pic of them and get you that if you like and then you can make up ya mind. I also don't mind just shipping them to you. Just let me know what you prefer.

I'm a little torn with what to do with this thing. Part of me really wants to mount it on the deuce and outfit it for some fun (air, bunks, etc.) but then part of me wants to convert it to a refrig'd trailer for the dairy. My neighbor came over yesterday and asked what it was...I told him...so he said I should dig a big ol' hole in the ground, sink it for a tornado shelter, etc. Would make a neato root cellar LOL. Anyway, just not sure what I'm going to do. The real reason I purchased it in the first place was for the refrig'd trailer...but we'll see.

http://www.tobyhanna.army.mil/ <<< these guys rebuilt the shelter back in '03.

Andy

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks