• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Onan DJB Fuel Shut-off Issue

sl33k3r

Hello again. I thank everyone again to those who helped me in identifying a new to me engine. I have finally looked at it to get it to run. I have changed oil and all of the filters. I replaced a damaged oil pressure gauge as well. I adjusted the valve clearances. When trying to start the engine I wasn't getting fuel. I got fuel to the injectors but wasn't getting any out the return lines. I removed the injectors to see if they were wet. NOPE! Here comes the issue. With some fiddling (I took them apart) I was able to get fuel flowing and a good spray again. I realized I was cranking the engine with the switch off...and I was still getting fuel to the injectors. How can this be? I checked to be sure the solenoid was extended and the throttle was fully closed. It was hitting against the high speed stop screw and could not go any further. If I had not cranked the engine in the off position, I wouldn't have noticed fuel pressure at the injector when there should have not been any. If I had started the engine (assuming it will now start), I would not have been able to shut it off unless I pulled the fuel line off the tank. Which reminds me...Buy a fuel shut off.

On a side note....these engines vibrate a lot don't they? My MEP-802A vibrates pretty darn good and they are cousin engines, right? One is liquid-cooled and the other is air-cooled. I should probably have it bolted down since it is just the engine and much lighter.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The engines in the 00x are nothing like the engines in the 80x, in any way, shape, or form.

Chainbreaker

As LITD points out, no comparison between Onan & Lister Petter engines. The comparison would be similar to comparing a VW bug air-cooled engine vs water cooled Chevy/Ford engines.

The "civilian" Onan engines do share some of the basic engine components (block, pistons, head etc.) however the "control systems" and many other components differ on the Milspec Onan engines configured for the -002a/-003a generators.

My suggestion to get the "best help" with trouble shooting for your Onan DJB engine that was used in the civilian Onan generators would be to seek assistance over at the Smokstak for the engine you are working on getting running.

sl33k3r

As LITD points out, no comparison between Onan & Lister Petter engines. The comparison would be similar to comparing a VW bug air-cooled engine vs water cooled Chevy/Ford engines.

The "civilian" Onan engines do share some of the basic engine components (block, pistons, head etc.) however the "control systems" and many other components differ on the Milspec Onan engines configured for the -002a/-003a generators.

My suggestion to get the "best help" with trouble shooting for your Onan DJB engine that was used in the civilian Onan generators would be to seek assistance over at the Smokstak for the engine you are working on getting running.
Gotcha! Will head over to Smokstak. Thank you!