• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Onan Enclosed Generator W/Floodlight

jwalker23

I need some help here. I won this on a dummy bid on GSA. I need some direction on it.
I have had it running off of a gas can (fuel tank smelled of turpentine.) It now has trouble starting, thinking it is a combination of fuel and spark.
I have found the Spark Plug replacements.
I do not know where to being with the carb on the top.
Anyone familiar with these machines?
I would rather not scrap this, as it's just a cool piece and could be convenient.
Thanks to all who help!
Genset 4.jpgGenset Engine Tag.jpgGenset 1.jpgGenset 3.jpg

Kenny0

I think you're on the right track with the fuel and spark. Do replace the spark plugs. I would try to go with the civilian ones. I have a lawn mower with a CCKB engine and it takes champion H8 or H8C spark plugs. Parts and service manual for this engine can be found here " http://gravelymanuals.com/docs/engines/index.html ". You would also have to replace the plug wires. Check the points to make sure the contacts are clean. Use a point file or I use a small piece 240 grit silicone carbide sandpaper folded in half. Point gap on battery ignition is .020, I set mine to .018. If it is magneto check the manual. If you get it running good, you might want to replace the points. Replace all the rubber fuel lines. The carb should be taken apart and cleaned. Lacquer thinner, acetone or spray type carb cleaner works good for this. If it is gummed up a lot, you will have to let it soak for a while and use a small medium bristle brush to help loosen it up. Fuel pump could also be gummed up and need cleaning and might need a kit. If you get it running good, the fuel tank can be removed and cleaned. This most likely has a metal tank so you can use lacquer thinner or acetone and let soak. Might take several days with sloshing in between. Don't need to fill the tank completely, but an inch or so on the bottom where the most of gum is. Just remember lacquer thinner, acetone and spray carb cleaner are extremely flammable.

Chainbreaker

I purchased the exact same model (NF-2 light tower) off CL a couple years ago but I didn't keep it long. I only bought it for the enclosure to house my MEP-002a in, so I sold the engine on CL for what I paid for the unit. The engine in mine was a replacement engine and ran like a top. One thing I did have to do was replace the condenser on top of the box where the plug wires go in, it was faulty and had been bypassed by the previous owner. Condenser was a bit hard to find as I recall. So when you attempt to start yours is it turning over a bit slow or fast? It should turn really fast as the generator has slip rings and it is used as the starter and it does an excellent job spinning up that engine. I can't tell from the picture but you are starting it with 24 VDC as in (2) 12V batteries in series, correct?

I would also open up the electrical box that sits on top of the gen head and take a look inside. There are just a small handful of components such as wire wound resistors and capacitors that you should verify are still good (look for signs of overheating, etc.). Mine did have a flakey problem where I had to position one of the side toggles on that box in a particular position or it would not start...Can't remember exactly but I seem to recall it would start using the remote panel switch but not the inside switch on electronics box or something like that.

Also, there are quite a few very knowledgeable people over at SmokeStak.com that are quite familiar with the Onan CCK engine. You may want to start a post over there as well if you want to leverage those resources in addition to those here on SS. Your probably not going to get a lot of people over here all that familiar with this unit.

edit: I do have some close up photo's of the engine/genset for comparison purposes if you need to verify something (verify position of linkages, parts, etc.). Let me know and I will post if needed.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks