• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Onboard Air?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since I will be driving my M1008 to the GA Rally, I figured I better get some type of air system in place. I've toyed with portable, underhood, tank and tankless. After much consideration I've decided to go with a Puma 12V unit from www.buzzardgulch.com The website is a little odd but the unit is on pg 104. It will be mounted semi permanent in the bed. This unit is no toy or K-Mart special. 1 hp, 3 CFM @ 90 PSI and 100% duty cycle. I've done quite a bit of digging on this compressor and can't find hardly a negative word. I'd like to hear what others are using with their CUCVs.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This coming from the same charachter that flat tows a CUCV AT NEAR 70 mph for hundreds of miles with the driveshafts in place. How did that work out for you?

Westech

CPL
Boiled the T case..... After it cooled down she was good to roll. Its still on the road :)

All joking aside... That looks like a good heavy duty unit. What kind of amps does it pull?

Ressoldier

I have been running a 10# CO2 tank for my DD/ weekend wheeler. I want to add OBA system and was looking at the Viair 480C but it is only 1.3 CFM @ 90psi rated. I might have to look into the PUMA products and reviews. The C)2 works great but since i got a lower end model with fixed regulator I can't tell how much is left in the tank, so want OBA for back up.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That was a consideration. Since heat is the enemy of a compressor, I opted for this unit and having it in the back is a plus. Many folks have split the unit and did underhood mounts. Check out this link. Puma 12V Compressor

Ressoldier

One of the best systems is using a York AC compressor on a drive belt going to a tank. I know a lot of off-road guys mount their ARB or Viair compressor under hood on the inner fender also.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The tank is a gallon and a half. I think they have one with 2 one gallon tanks as well. It's use will be tires and maybe some small air tool work, blowing out interiors and the such. With my air pig I can actually run my 1" impact off it but only a lug or 3 at a time.

area52

When I had my rock crawler, I put onboard air in it (Sanden air conditioner compressor) and added a Craftsmen 5 gallon portable air tank in the bed to add some volume for the air system. I could air 3 of my 35" tires up before I had to stop and let the compressor catch up.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of the best systems is using a York AC compressor on a drive belt going to a tank.
:ditto:

We've got a old forklift that the air compressor went out on (forklift has air brakes). Cat wanted $1,200 for a new one. We mounted a York out of a old Ford pickup on it. I'm really impressed at how much air that little York puts out. I don't know what the CFM is but it will fill the forklift air system in no time (faster than the OEM compressor).

To make the York run all you need is a tank, a pressure switch, and a check valve. You can wire the pressure switch to the clutch to cut it out at whatever you want for your max pressure. I've also found that if you don't use a check valve in-line between the compressor and the tank, the air from the tank will back feed through the compressor when the compressor isn't pumping..

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How are you folks lubricating the A/C compressors? I've heard of using slick 50 then draining it.

Barrman

The Yorks? They have their own sump and pump. There is a line plug that can be done to make it better. Here is a site that talks you through the process pretty good:

York Compressor for On-Board Air

I put a York on my M715 back in 2005. M35 air tanks under the bed. I even ran lines with quick connects to a front and rear corner. I love having that when a trailer tire goes out. Colton and I had a trailer flat in Houston one day and I happened to have all my air tools out and with me. We did it like a pit stop. I did the jacking/tire lifting and he hit the liugs. Probably stopped for 4 minutes total.

That was a very time limited application of the compressor.

I was at a M715 event in TN that summer. The XZL tires were down to 12 psi. I was getting ready to leave and wanted them all above 50 psi in case I had trailer troubles and had to drive the truck a long distance on the interstate. 11.00-16 Michelin tires take a lot of air. I had a foot copper line between the compressor and plastic semi truck air brake line I plumbed the system with. The plastic line melted off the copper line at the fitting while filling the 4th tire 15 minutes after starting the compressor.

I doubled the copper line length and all was good. Until we were recovering my M35 Gasser with the M715. Changing all those Duece tires and putting air in them blew the line again. I rigged it up so my air hose for the impact screwed directly into the compressor for the rest of that day and then put solid copper all the way to the tanks. No more line melting.

I had 6 flats between the trailer and the M715 while we were in Colorado with it in 2008. The OBA worked great until about the last one. The clutch shorted out and blew the power in fuse. I could get about a minute of air pumped before it would blow again. I put another clutch on once home and all has been good until a few weeks ago I was just running the system to run it and the fuse blew again. I just replaced it this morning after checking all the wiring and finding nothing wrong.

I plan to swap out the 396 in the M715 for a 6.2. The OBA will probably come out with the Big Block. Too much under hood space taken up, can't be used on other vehicles and since I have had troubles in the past, how do I know it will see me through the next problem time?

I have been thinking real hard about CO2 tanks or what you listed. I keep coming back to CO2 because there just isn't much room to spare in a M1009 or my former USAF Suburban that is going to be my main Scout hauling truck.

If you go OBA, buy all new parts. My above incidents were certianly caused by junk yard items. Buying new makes the CO2 route very cost effective.

That answer your question?

islandguydon

I have a question. I read somewhere on this site about hooking up an airhose to a glad hand for tire inflation. Does anyone do this and is it common. Any pictures to show...?

Barrman

The M35 and up trucks have constant air for trailer emergency brake applications in case there is a break away situation. Just screw a quick connect fitting into a trailer side glad hand that can be found at any truck stop or NAPA and you have air for tools or tire inflation.

Most trucks also have an air line inside the cab on the passenger side footwell. Again, just screw in a quick connect and you have air that is easy to get to. The 1953 and older trucks had the air line on both sides inside the cab.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks