• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

one good load of wood

stumps

STUMPS, We get it up in the mountains, about 40 min. The pine beetles have taken over. Over half of the pine trees are dead!
Mountain pine beetle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hi Bobski,

In Maryland, we seem to be getting hit hard by the pine beetles. I have lost all but one or two of the few large pine trees on my farm. I just finished (3-4 years ago) replanting another farm in Virginia with a genetically altered loblally pine, and I am quite worried that the beetles will find their way into that stand before it matures.... So far, it seems to be ok down there.

The foresters are cautioning us about transporting wood (that still has bark) very far. They are trying to control the spread...

-Chuck

bobski

They tell me that if it is dead and has no needles on it there are no beetles in it.
I do get permits, even thought I never have been checked. The $20 I hope gos to a good need.
This and last year You could get free permits, just to get the wood out.
Christmas trees yes I do get a permit for.

Josh

We get our wood from the Mt. Hood Nat. Forest. They have very strict and designated cutting areas that you are alowed to get it from. Cant fall any trees, but anything on the ground is game. Last place we where at, there had to have been 100-200 cords of stacked 20-30ft lengths of logs. We nabbed 15 cords from that site.

kurtkds

A cord if stacked square is 4ft wide, 4ft tall, and 8 ft long

Pine is full of creosote which will coat a chimney.

Which equals 128 Cubic feet.

The bed on a Deuce is a little over 256 Cubic Feet when measured to the top of the wood side boards.
So basically a Deuce will carry 2 cords when loaded level with the side boards.

I had to figure this info out, Ft Lewis will log some of their property through out the year. You have to buy a permit by the cord and they only allow loading to the top of the side boards.

But a Deuce and a M105 full of wood is a beautiful sight. :drool:

Pictured below is some "free wood" I had seen on the way home from work.

I had seen him putting it out while driving home in the car, I came right back with the Deuce. Filled the Deuce with the help of my wife and the owner and his Track Hoe! After the Deuce was full, there was still more in his yard, So I asked if he minded if I took it all. He looked at me funny and said "take what you want", so I went back to the house and hooked up the M105

Attachments

Last edited:

Josh

Which equals 128 Cubic feet.

The bed on a Deuce is a little over 256 Cubic Feet when measured to the top of the wood side boards.
So basically a Deuce will carry 2 cords when loaded level with the side boards.

I had to figure this info out, Ft Lewis will log some of their property through out the year. You have to buy a permit by the cord and they only allow loading to the top of the side boards.

But a Deuce and a 105 full of wood is a beautiful sight. :drool:

Makin me want a 105 even more.......:drool:

I did the math saying, if I stack the load 4 ft high, and the width of the deuce bed, x 8ft long. I have almost 2 cords with there with another 4x4x7.5ft space left to fill. easy 3 cords if ya stack 4.5ft tall across the entire truck.

Another way to figure it out.

For every 1.5ft tall the entire bed is filled is just over a cord. 12ft x 7.5ft x 1.5ft = 135 cuft.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks