• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

One more hard starting question

galeo7171

I swear one day I'll get this all sorted out. If my 1009 sits overnight it takes a little effort to start it first thing in the morning. It turns over and after about 3-4 tries it will fire up, and blow white/grey smoke out the tail pipes. Now, I'll drive to work, let it sit there for 12 hours and when I go to leave, it will fire right up no problem! When I turn the key, the wait light comes up, the relay clicks and I can see my voltmeter drop as the relay cycles...does this mean that the relay is working, or could it still be possible that its not heating up the glow plugs? I just changed all the glow plugs out with Wellmans so they should be good to go

Westech

CPL
could have a small air leak in the fuel filter housing (there crap). By the sounds of it your glow plugs are working. I would check for air leaks or just replace the filter housing with a spin on type.

mangus580

What temperature are we talking about? Are you following the starting procedure listed on the back of the visor?

I dont recall the exact split, but there is one temp range you are to hold the throttle at half, and one you are to hold it all the way down while starting.

It makes a big difference if you arent doing this!! I can tell you at 5° its the difference between starting, or not.

LanceRobson

Just because the meter drops does not mean all or even most of the glow plugs are working. It is still worthwhile to do a resistance check.

For my M1008, I replaced them with Wellman 070s bought from INDUSA on Epay. About $67 including the shipping. I wanted a known base line for the age of the plugs. It has had no trouble starting at 38 degrees but it'll be interesting to see what happens down near 0 later in the winter.

The improvement was good enough that we've ordered a set for the #4 son's M1009.

Also, consider a good stiff dose of injector cleaner. If the fuel is not atomizing well, you'll have a heck of a time in colder weather.

Especially in cold weather, keep a close eye on the consistency of the motor oil. You'll be getting a lot more diesel washing past the rings on a cold engine.

Lance

EDIT: Make sure you've got a good air filter and pre-filter. Any restriction on the intake side increases the problems with cold starting and cuts back on fuel economy.

beaubeau

My M1008 has been starting OK so far in N.H., Cold mornings. I have noticed if I follow this sequence it starts sooner. Wait light goes out, crank for 3-4 seconds, turn switch to on, wait 3-5 secs. turn to start and hold trottle half way down. Starts up in 3-5 secs!!???? Make sure you have GOOD fuel at winter time. On real cold days , let light go out, turn ign. off, wait 3-5 secs, turn on, wait for light to go out, follow previous sequence. Good luck, Phil

JC

I swear one day I'll get this all sorted out. If my 1009 sits overnight it takes a little effort to start it first thing in the morning. It turns over and after about 3-4 tries it will fire up, and blow white/grey smoke out the tail pipes. Now, I'll drive to work, let it sit there for 12 hours and when I go to leave, it will fire right up no problem! When I turn the key, the wait light comes up, the relay clicks and I can see my voltmeter drop as the relay cycles...does this mean that the relay is working, or could it still be possible that its not heating up the glow plugs? I just changed all the glow plugs out with Wellmans so they should be good to go
I have/had this exact same problem- I'm not sure if it is a new problem or a continuation of an old one. My 1009 first starting giving me problems last winter. The wires to the temp sensor were breaking going into the sensor, so I replaced the temp sensor (and wires). The weather started getting warmer around that time so it was hard for me to confirm that this solved my problem. In the last couple of weeks we've had colder weather and it is still giving me problems. I replaced my glow plug relay last weekend and replaced 2 bad plugs- still had problems. Yesterday I replaced all my glow plugs with new Wellmans. This morning the temp was in the 40's and I had problems starting it. Last winter I noticed smoke coming from the tailpipe when I tried to start it. This morning I didn't notice any smoke when I tried to start it. Some cold days it starts fine other days that aren't as cold it gives me problems. It started right up all summer long. I'm going to change the fuel filter and see what that does. Any suggestioons or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

JC

Yes I hold it down half way if it is above 32 degrees and all the way if it's below 32. I do notice if I only hold it down an inch or so it seems to start a little better.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks