• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

One of my rear axles is shifting (?) on the M923A0

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is some more pics of how much the axles can shift. Yes everyone should keep an eye on the Dog Bones and nothing wrong with checking you trunion bearings. Although checking the play on the trunnion is no easy job just have to hope that there was no water intrusion and the greaser hit the grease fitting on the bottom of it. As said could take off the cap and look and sea the condition of the outer bearing. Just make sure to make a good sealing cap.

Attachments

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have a very hard time reading black writing on dark green background.

I I think the suggestions provided are sufficient to get the owner started down the right path. I would be interested to know if the trunion bearing is bad.
Please let us know what you find out
I'm not sure about the 5tons, but the deuce used bearings or bushings.

TwistedOaks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went through every TM, and every thread I could find on the problem. There's a universe of troubleshooting, and despite a large consensus that it's "normal", I have a hard time accepting that. The problem was there (albeit less noticeable) with the G177's and I immediately thought it was the age of the tires/balance. Wanted to change to larger, and the 1600's were available, and nearly new. Despite being date coded 2004, they'd never been run, and stored flat palleted inside a hangar, mounted on combat rims with 35 to 50 lbs each.

So far, here's what I've done, none of which has resolved/reduced/increased the original issue:
1. Increased air pressure in all tires to 100lbs, then brought down to 85 (max pressure for the combat rims) Allowed to sit for a day, then reduced to 80, ran for 2 hours on city roads (back up to 84). Definitely felt a lot stiffer, and almost zero body roll. But bounce was still there, still random.
2. Reduced air pressure to 45lbs, same results.
3. checked toe-in, via string method, 1/4" out. adjusted. same results.
4. checked and refilled every grease fitting in the front end - found the drivers side hub has a bad seal, but both side accepted at least a tube and 1/2.
5. R&R both front shocks with Monroe 65116 new.
6. Fluid balanced fronts (50/50 coolant, 40oz)
7. Checked the play and the dogbones in the front and rear. Yes, the rear has play as expected, so probably unrelated to the bounce.

TwistedOaks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys. I wanted to followup on this thread, after posting in the 'what have you done'. This comes down to "always check your parts". The bounce that I've had for the last 6 months, turned out to be two out six wheels that had run-flat inserts! I finally got brave enough (and strong enough with the assistance of a new shop crane) to disassemble my LMTV wheels, after reading somewhere that the LMTV's almost always had the inserts. I also was able to confirm that the FMTV wheels do use a OR-420A O ring. The round trip to the Georgia Rally got me itching to figure it out, so I'm posting here for posterity.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Hey guys. I wanted to followup on this thread, after posting in the 'what have you done'. This comes down to "always check your parts". The bounce that I've had for the last 6 months, turned out to be two out six wheels that had run-flat inserts! I finally got brave enough (and strong enough with the assistance of a new shop crane) to disassemble my LMTV wheels, after reading somewhere that the LMTV's almost always had the inserts. I also was able to confirm that the FMTV wheels do use a OR-420A O ring. The round trip to the Georgia Rally got me itching to figure it out, so I'm posting here for posterity.
If you need replacement o rings email stacey at techserv@gemplers.com and give him the or420a number. They are like 9 to 11$ each thru them.

You may also check the dogbone clamps. Swamp donkey spotted that mine had actually came off my truck. Could have been the slight vibration i was feeling. I do have something bent somewhere in the rear of mine. Passengers side springs did not want to sit back in the space for it without a sledge and pry bar even after i took the clamp bolt out.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

lindsey97

Not to change the subject, but I would be interested in your speedometer recalibration device, pics would be awesome and where you purchased it. I have a M923 with 16.00r20's installed, and would like to correct my speedo.