• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

One Piece Cast Aluminum Rims for Deuce

Elwenil

That's just another page on the same site. If you click the "HOME" link, it will take you back to the site's homepage with the banner. Apparently the business was going South and the owner committed suicide and they closed the doors. Lots of info out there on it on the various automotive forums.

ranchhopper

Why couldnt you take a stock aluminum rim an older semi wheel and cut center plates for them like the HEMTT wheels. I would think they would have to be aluminum plates which would have to be flanged to fit into the wheel to self index and for added strength. This should be easier than cutting out the steel plates for the HEMTT wheels the wheels would have to be center cut also for the six lug plates to fit into. I saw an auction a while back selling over fourty old style aluminum semi wheels that were still good for scrap I wish I had the skill and knowledge some people here have they would have been a good start.

SasquatchSanta

The price would be about 500 to 600 a piece and as far as mounting, we are the manufacturer so we could make them specifically for the military tires. A beadlock would make for easy mounting but unfortunately that would not be street legal. Does anyone have any ideas on width, I was thinking 12 inches wide.
Offering a non street legal wheel will automatically take you out of 99% of the market you would find here.

As someone who runs widened steel wheels with 385s on a bobbed deuce I feel there would be a benefit to reducing unstrung weight. The added weight of the oversized tires and widened steel wheels create a flywheel effect that taxes both breaking efficiency, acceleration, and fuel use.

It would be interesting to know from an engineering (inertia) standpoint what the difference in weight of an aluminum versus steel wheel with 385X95XR20s would be at 55 MPH. I'll bet it would surprise you. I'm giving you a hint on a possible way to "sell" the benefits of a lighter aluminum wheel.

You're going to get an appreciable amount of push back from the SS crowd on anything that isn't green therefore it would be prudent to offer a painted OD option.

I personally like a certain amount of bling but I'm the red headed stepchild of the group. I'm tolerated because I know where everyone hangs their stocking on Christmas Eve --- Ho Ho Ho ;-)

NickAir

Lighter wheels improve spin up and braking performance. It would be interesting to know what the weight savings would be.

spicergear

Hutchinson is about the only game in town for two piece double bead lock wheels. See these...they're getting scrapped this weekend. The missing outer lock is $400 from Hutchinson, they were on the classifieds for a month without a single interest. I called Hutchinson to find out about them and they gave me the PN for the outer wheel half then asked how I came into them as they were experimental military units. :mrgreen: I've sat on them long enough...and maybe will enjoy drinking an ice cold Cherry Coke out of one in the future.

Attachments

ryker725

Lighter wheels improve spin up and braking performance. It would be interesting to know what the weight savings would be.
Wheel weight is not an issue on a 14,000 lb truck.. The engine and brakes on a deuce don't care if the wheels are steel are aluminum..

trukhead

How about ... CTIS compatable A3 wheels for the Michelin MPT 14.5 tires

To Mr Fragnaboo

How about a 10- 12 inch wide one piece wheel with a deep center machined with the MPT bead dimension that would be capable of being inflated to 80 psi to fit the A3 duece and be compatible with the CTIS. Cast a few mounting bosses on it and maybe a screw in inflation nipple.

The problem is the Michelin tires run at 13 to 45 psi and they are rated to 80 psi . The tires have been destructing probably because of wear and heat inside the tire tread and sidewalls. The stock wheels won't inflate past 60 psi and the CTIS inflates to 45 although it has been said the CTIS can be reprogrammed to what ever you want. Con't know if the rest of the system would handle the increased pressure though.

:idea:

spicergear

I'd like to have the rubber insert. Jim
You have a couple of choices. A heavy rubber insert (hutchinson, usually) or the aluminum/steel bands with the rubber on either side typically. That seems to be what the military is running in the big stuff. Humvee's are different. I have six metal band type ones but may have four sold.

hornetfan

I have my 53" XZL's on a 10" wide wheel. I wish they were 12's. They look much better on a wider wheel.
Ridgerunner, are those 16.00R20 XZLs? A 10" wheel is what Michelin calls for with that tire. Even with the correct bead profile 12" wheels wouldn't hold the tire properly, especially at lower off-road tire pressures.

PROSTOCKTOM

The only way you could make a aluminum wheel strong enough to work on a deuce is by pressure die casting it. A reqular poured wheel would never be strong enough for it to ever last. My father is a retired engineer with General Motors and he designed aluminum wheels for years. I grew up in the foundry business and aluminum wheels are an area that I would steer clear of unless you know exactly what your doing with them. One mistake and your going to kill someone easily.

Tom

trukhead

Dear Santa Claus, I want for Christmas New 6 hole aluminum 6 slotted wheels ....

Dear Santa Claus, I want for Christmas New 6 hole aluminum 6 slotted wheels for my M35A3. They should look like old keystones or cragers.

I want them with the same offset as the original wheels.

I want them with a deep drop center in the rim between the beads so I can mount them with soapy water and tire spoons and a rubber hammer.

I want them to have the pads for mounting th4 CTIS stuff, but I want to add a one way check valve between the CTIS and tire so I can inflate the tires up to the 80 psi they are designed to run.

I want the rims to be machined for MPT Beads and capable of inflating to 90 PSI.

I want to continue t use the stock Michelins that are on the truck. I want a second air fitting boss on the rim so I can add a dump valve. I been good Santa Claus so will you give me 11 of these? Please:jumpin::cool::driver:

If I could get these wheels I would put a set of rockwells under a CUCV just to wear out my excess tires I have.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks