• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

one step forward, three steps back

rottiedog

Well, I got it running pretty good but after flushing the radiator, it sprung/uncovers a LOT of leaks near the bottom. Took it to the radiator shop where they repaired it. Installed it again, same leaks. Took it back again and he said that he had to close three tubes near the tank but that it was fixed. I figured ok even though the leak I saw was about three inches up from the tank. Installed/still leaked. Ordered a new one today.

Second part, while trying to get it to idle right, I checked for vacuum leaks. Hooked up a guage and got about 17 inches. Sprayed carb cleaner around with no changes until........poof, the carb cleaner caught fire. around the distributer. Kind of funny when a former fire truck catches fire. Ok, not too funny for me.

Shut it down and grabbed the hose. Put the fire out and took a look. Couple of wires looked melted. They were coming from the distributer pickup. Tapped the wires up and tested it out. Fired right up.

Today, I went out to work on it and it wouldn't start. Checked for spark/nothing. Started folowing the TM. Good until checking pins 4 and 5 on the wiring harness connector. Manual says I should get 150-900 ohms. I got a dead short. Unhooked near distributor and still short. Just picked up a new pick up but looks like I'll have to wait till tomorrow to "fix".

Having fun......another beer now....

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't worry, once you get the bugs worked out she will be ultra dependable. I have been driving mine now since 1989 and have had only minor issues with the truck, one of which was the pickup coil. I paid $275 for my truck at Ft Hood DRMO and put it back together. At the cann point, someone had left the hood up and the air cleaner off. The engine was full of rainwater when I got it. Amazingly, after draining the water and changing the oil, the truck ran great and has gone on for another 60,000 miles, to this day

rottiedog

big red/green is still a no/go.

Replaced the pickup with no change. The pickup was reading shorted until I got the distributer out. Replaced it anyway.

Voltage at the coil is only 6 volts.....whats up with that?? I ran 12 volts from the battery to try and start. Still no spark.

Wires are checking good. Can the ignition module be bad?

The only check I see in the TM is for pin 5 at the module to check for a ground. Every wire on the harness was checked (there's only 5) and they were good.

I think the truck needs the amp gauge bypass but I don't know if it is a player in this problem. I ran a jumper from one side of it to the other with no change in problem.

I think my little fire is causing some problems...

rottiedog

Big red/green is back to life. Replace the ignition module and set the timing. Running good.

The ignition module melted.....puked all over the inner fender. What the heck is in these things? How did I miss that mess while troubleshooting??

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks