• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

One tire wearing more than all the others and have shaking above 50MPH M923A2

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My recently acquired M923A2 has one tire that is wearing much more than the others(middle axle drivers side), the spare looks like it was dragging( I'm guessing instead of fixing the problem they just changed the tire). My question is what do you guys think it could be? Only thing I can come up with is A. bearing B. brake dragging ever so slightly.
My thought is to cage the brake and see if that solves the shaking. Anything else that might cause the shaking above 50 MPH(shaking is similar to the M35A3 death wobble) and the abnormal tire wear?

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are no counterweights on either rear axle on my truck. Are there supposed to be? If you mean the front axle, Yes there are two and they look different than the deuce.

Scarecrow1

In this case I would really just either do a tear down and inspect every thing until you find the problem or take it to a pro. This sounds like the tire is locking up and dragging. If it did would think you would surely be able to know because of the smoke or the squealing alone. Good luck and keep us posted .......

Vintage iron

I have a few questions. What size tires are you running. what is the condition of the wobbling tire? have to jacked up the truck to make sure the hub rims is not loose, the hubs is not loose, spun the tire on the truck to check for a bent rim?

uriss

I would take a tape measure to make sure the axle isn't out of line. Possible that side hit something stationary causing to knock it out of line. If it is a good big truck frame shop can get that fixed. You could also check the mounting bolts on the frame. Any spots where you can see that different paint around the frame mounting?

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have the same issue with the right rear tire on the back axle of my M927. It seems to be wearing a lot faster than it's fellow tires. When I first got the truck that tire would leak down over a period of days. I finally took it to my tire doctor and had it fixed (I also disabled the CTIS on that tire). The tire had pretty decent tread when I got the truck but now it is getting pretty thin. I have put about two thousand miles on the truck and none of the other tires have showed any wear. Consider me subscribed on this one.