• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Online Maps of Black Hills National Forests?

Milkman357

I'm starting to research/plan next years family vacation to South Dakota.
I'm gonna use my M-1009 to explore Black Hills National Forest...
I've been reading about altitude and Air filters... I'm not looking for a race, just to get the kids out to enjoy nature, so I'm sure it will work fine.

Any tips on online maps or trails to visit next summer?
I'm still debating whether I bring my M101A2 trailer or not....

I can tow the M-1009 out there with my suburban.... or drive the whole thing in the M-1009 (Trailer in tow)

I've tried to talk my wife out of going... but I think she thinks she can ruff it...
No A/C, No showers, No little girls room, bugs.....

I'm trying to sell her the "Guys out being Guys"
or
Maybe we can do 2 vacations... the second one being My Wife taking the kids to her Parents.... (without me)
or
Trying this excursion at spring break...

She's a tough nut (and I aint that smart)

1986Blazerk5

Last year my family and i went out there with our dirt bikes, and we had a blast, wish i could of had the M1009, we put on about 300 miles on the bikes, and barley scratched the surface, about the maps call the forest headquarters and ask them to send you maps thats what we did, and no cost.

HAVE FUN!!!!

KsM715

Heres a link to the Black Hills National Forest Service map page. I highly recomend paying the $10 bucks for this map. Forest Service

It is 1000 times better than the free maps. It shows 99.9 percent of the numbered roads in the hills. Even the little dirt trail logging roads with have small fiberglass markers at almost every fork in the road and this map will have most of them marked. Makes it easy to determine if your on 2a, 2b, 2c and so on. It even has old mines marked and caves if you look closely. It will tell you what roads are open at what time of the year.

The hills are awsome (I grew up there) I highly recomend that if you see a road that takes off over the hill from the main road and the gate is open, go for it.

sirleaksalot

my brother lives there, in BlackHawk. we went a few years ago and wheeled the black hills.
you will need to go by Mount Rushmore too, it is cool.
Not sure when you plan on going but the weather in NUTZ, summer time 100 or + rain, winter 10/20- and the wind can blow really bad. it is a very neat place to visit.

Milkman357

yup

Weather is another reason id like to leave Mom and our youngest behind.
I can deal with it, not that I like 100 degree days.....
But Mom is going to going to be out of her element.

I suppose there is no big mall I could send her off to visit?

It does cool down to 70s at night? I hope!

sirleaksalot

yes, not sure what you call a BIG mall. but people come in from wyoming to hit it. he is in a small town that is a burb to rapid city. Man does he hate bike week for Sturgis.

KsM715

Hmmm Black Hills weather. Ill tell you this. I go home to the hills twice a year. Thanksgiving and sometime in the summer. My wife hates packing for the summer trip, she has to pack both cold and hot weather clothes. I've witnessed snow in late June! It can get in the high 90's but the humidity isnt that bad and it depends on what elevation your camping at but at night its usually pretty cool sometimes downright cold.

Wyofj40

The hills are definitely a good time. As far as elevation, don't worry about it. I am around the same at 4500ft and my m1008 does fine. There is a mall in Rapid City, but probably not what you would consider a mall. Mt. Rushmoore, Crazy Horse, Jewel cave, Reptile Gardens, Bear Country USA and Deadwood are some of the main tourist sites to go to. Harney peak is a great place to go hiking. If you have any questions about anything just let me know, both sides of my family are from the Rapid City/Custer area so I am familiar with the area.

Wyofj40

As far as night temp goes, be prepared for at least 20. Chances are it wont get that cold but the weather is very unpredictable. I went camping in the mountains down by Laramie Wyoming last weekend and one night it was about 15 degrees out yet 80 during the day. Out here on the plains we haven't had a night above 60.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks