• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Only in a Huey!

MarcusOReallyus

Very cool, Treetop! :beer:

I looooove Hueys! It's second only to the P-38 in my book!

I've had the exhilarating experience of being in a tight turn looking at the ground about 70 feet away straight out of the side door, as I sat in the outboard facing seat. And then realizing my seat belt was not fastened! :shock:

I was grateful for centrifugal force! (Even though it doesn't exist!)

treetopflyer

Although I am not a VN Vet, I'm sure that those that lived with them (UH-1's...not Vets) know what I am about to say? I instructed at Ft. Rucker, AL for 6 years and lived under one of the flight corridors the entire time...I became so acclimated to the whop-whop-whop of the huey that it would lull me to sleep at night and on "weather" nights when the classes wouldn't launch I couldn't sleep because that soothing music of it rotors wasn't playing.

AceHigh

Although I am not a VN Vet, I'm sure that those that lived with them (UH-1's...not Vets) know what I am about to say? I instructed at Ft. Rucker, AL for 6 years and lived under one of the flight corridors the entire time...I became so acclimated to the whop-whop-whop of the huey that it would lull me to sleep at night and on "weather" nights when the classes wouldn't launch I couldn't sleep because that soothing music of it rotors wasn't playing.
Half the time I loved the sound (when I was going in) and the other half not so much (going out).

baseballump

The Huey Just think of the lives it has taken ( as a gun ship) over the years. And the lives it has saved with dustoffs in Nam. and other countries. We had two guys saved in Nam. A great work horse. Heres to you huey:beer:

mckeeranger

Funny thing shortly after my last post, this was posted on facebook. Talking about the last remaining huey's in service being retired to Alamaba.

Vietnam vets join 21st Cav aviators for Hueys' final lift at Hood | Article | The United States Army
The last Huey in active Army service in Kentucky was retired late last year. It was used by the safety crew to chase the Blackhawks that are retrofitted and tested near here. I loved to watch them fly over, but of course the kids were more impressed with the 'Hawks and Chinooks.

5tonpuller

I only had the glory of riding in them twice. I lettered two for a film company and part of my payment was a ride in them. The pilot asked me if I wanted a ride or a "RIDE". Being a pilot myself I asked for "THE BIG RIDE".
Turned out he was a Vietnam Vet chopper pilot and he gave me the ride of my life. He demonstrated how extractions were made in hostile environments.
I absolutely loved it and...................I still have skid marks in my drawers. :lol:
I am SO jelous

satcombinky

being in the AIR FORCE i had to fly with my dads ARMY Guard unit to ride in the HUEY but love it way more the the hawks. the Vietnam vets really know how to fly them better that any.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
We trained to load stretchers in UH-1 but never used them.
Never jumped out of a Huey would have been good.
Jumped out of CH34 and it was good.
Do Hueys shake as much as CH34?

satcombinky

yea they shake some more than others, that is mainly dependent on the age and balance of the rotor head. i have even slid down and the runway for a couple hundred feet to as the pilot informed the tower to recharge the skid batteries( i laughed my a$$ off on that one).

vtdeucedriver

One day I will post the pics of the "Huey that got away". A good friend got two as surplus and before I was head long into MV collecting or married, I was collecting M-37 parts and drooling over his UH-1M. Kept making attempts to buy but would not sell. Eventually one day after returning from vacation I went to go get some more M-37 parts and the Huey was gone!!! He would later offer me the 2nd airframe but it was much worse than the first so it was not hard for me to pass on.

Thats ok, the first one probably would have nickled and dimed me to death. On another note to help satisfy my Huey fettish, soon now that I have the third and final part that I aquired this month, I will have this hanging on my wall.

Attachments

vtdeucedriver

One day I will post the pics of the "Huey that got away". A good friend got two as surplus and before I was head long into MV collecting or married, I was collecting M-37 parts and drooling over his UH-1M. Kept making attempts to buy but would not sell. Eventually one day after returning from vacation I went to go get some more M-37 parts and the Huey was gone!!! He would later offer me the 2nd airframe but it was much worse than the first so it was not hard for me to pass on.

Thats ok, the first one probably would have nickled and dimed me to death. On another note to help satisfy my Huey fettish, soon now that I have the third and final part that I aquired this month, I will have this hanging on my wall.
The blade on the left currently has signatures of 3 pilots that flew UH-1's in Vietnam. One is my uncle and the other two were with the 1st Air Cav in 65-66 and participated in the Ia Drang Valley putting Col. Moore on the ground. The 2nd blade is for Crewchiefs and will be repainted to match the left one.

wb1895

I managed to save a sling load hook from a Huey off of a range not too long ago. It had never been used and now resides in my "man cave" Unless someone out there needs it.

Herewego

Had a Navy buddy come up to NY for fleet week 2012 on the USS Wasp. I got a "real" tour of the ship, and it brought back a lot of memories. They had a great display on the flight deck. I tried to sit I the cockpit of a Cobra but I'm 6'5" and it wasn't happening. I always loved the Huey as a kid and I bombarded the Marine pilot with questions and it was great to listen to his stories with the aircraft. I wish I could have gotten a ride.

Attachments

EWhytsell

My Dad is a vietnam vet and served with the 1092 Engineers out of WV. He's told stories over the years of manning the gun that is sometimes mounted out of the doors on the huey.

As a kid the WVNG used to fly them over our fields all the time and one weekend my brother and I were celebrating our 12 and 10yr birthdays so we had lots of friends camping over and a huey did an emergency landing about 300yrds from our house. That was quite a treat for all us boys. I can remember the pilot stayed with the aircraft for almost the entire next week, that was the first time I got to sit at the controls of an aircraft. They helicoptered mechanics in and out a few times and finally I believe it was a CH-54 that airlifted it.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just retired from flying.
26 years, 10,000+ Flight Hours (All Turbine Helicopters)

Was one of the first groups at Ft. Rucker to use the UH-1H as primary trainer.

She was my first love. Loved it more than the other Army Aircraft, then civillian helos, I flew later

Class 89-08 GreyHounds "rack em up!"

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks