• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oops...stuck in the mud.

NCBloodhound

:driver:Well, had a load of fence posts and wire. Made it past the mud hole the first time, but got bogged down on the way back. Then the front tires got wedged between some roots so it just dug straight down.

It is actually a spring that was uncovered while clearing the fence line. I had to <gulp> call my neighbor with a furd and he couldn't pull it out. My buddy with a <gulp> dodge is coming by tomorrow with his tractor to help out. You can tell I hang around some unsavory characters... :razz:

Attachments

Last edited:

NCBloodhound

Actually, it is MUCH worse today. It sank a little overnight plus I tried to get it out some more. One more inch and I won't be able to open the driver's side door....
It just had BF Goodrich AT's put on it Monday. They have less than 50 miles on them, but I probably put another 50 on trying to get it out... The ruts from yesterday filled up with water overnight too. We are expecting 3 inches of rain Saturday so I need to get it out tomorrow!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, I see a deuce in your future. They can haul much more fence posts and wire too.

rnd-motorsports

Just making memories! :beer: Better get it out while you still can find it! Remember if its been in water and mud with the front axle and hub's under the waters surface when you get it out may be a good time to remove lockouts and inspect, clean. As water and mud are not Friends with bearing's. as with the rear breaks! seen it destroy many a wheel bearings cause the driver thinks that the muddy gritty water cant get in! Just a though ! or heads up! normally not a big deal but you have let yours set in it, Different story then just driving in it!. Hate to see you find out the hard way the 25 year old seals are not as good as they were 20 years ago!

allrevup

Being there, done that a few years ago, at a Mud bug for outcast new friends that would not and could not conform to the sanction mud bug down the road.
A lot of big trucks 44" tires at minimum to 50 something inch agricultural, massive horse power and up I just wanted to check then out, they love my truck and after a few hours in the Sun, pulling some of then out and a few mind altering beverages and "No problem", we'll get you out she did OK until a cross rut made by a double chassis Big Block on 53" tires brought me to a sudden stop.
I slide down the embankment, that was the last time she move, for about 5-6 hours. Two trucks the big fellow included could not even move it, A 1 ton anckerd wrecker and a pully bend the chassis in the middle, it took a 12 wheel wrecker and a pulley and she made light work out of it 15 min. after she arrive and line herself up. Thank God! NO cost to me a guy I pull out before call some favors, and the guy with the 4x4 wrecker could care less about his bent frame, at least that day.
It took the better part of 2 weeks to get the milk shake mud out of every crevasses after the drive train was drain, the only problem was at the rear drum brakes, Shortly after that I went to 35 spline Warn premium hubs and a No-slip front locker. Bought a 15K. Ramsey winch but gat rid of it for something a little lighter yet to be install. After it was all done it was one of the most fun wheeling days ever, took forever to get home, I could not see out of any windows. LOL.

PS. learn a trick after the heavty power washing run a couple of garden sprinklers under and over constatly, it will keep the mud from hardening and most wash off!

Last edited:
Btw, i think you just found out why those BFG's are known as Mall Terrains... i had to find that out the hard way a few times on my old '78 Power Wagon... good tire, as long as they dont even smell mud close by...

NCBloodhound

Just making memories! :beer: Better get it out while you still can find it! Remember if its been in water and mud with the front axle and hub's under the waters surface when you get it out may be a good time to remove lockouts and inspect, clean. As water and mud are not Friends with bearing's. as with the rear breaks! seen it destroy many a wheel bearings cause the driver thinks that the muddy gritty water cant get in! Just a though ! or heads up! normally not a big deal but you have let yours set in it, Different story then just driving in it!. Hate to see you find out the hard way the 25 year old seals are not as good as they were 20 years ago!
I just had the front hubs apart because I needed new rotors. I guess I will need to take it apart again just in case. As for the diffs, I have the gaskets and oil and had planned on changing the oil out soon so now is as good a time as ever.

NCBloodhound

I didnt see anyone say it yet. But air your tires down to 10psi. It will make life on all yall alot better.
Will do. I thought of that last night but was hoping the furd could yank it out.

Btw, i think you just found out why those BFG's are known as Mall Terrains... i had to find that out the hard way a few times on my old '78 Power Wagon... good tire, as long as they dont even smell mud close by...
I did not know that. I've had the BFG ATs on other trucks, but never went in mud. Lesson learned!

this looks like the perfect reason to get a big liftkit, and big ol' nasty mudders!! and a winch... anything you can do thatll justify those mods is a worthwhile experince !!
My thoughts exactly! I mentioned the winch to the wife and she didn't bat an eye. I mentioned big tires, a lift and a duece and got 'that look'...

My plan is to use my truck as a farm truck and daily driver for a while and then make it more of a toy later when my kids are older.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks