• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Open Plane Intake

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gimp is gonna be bringing me 3 of those intakes at some point Sharecropper. Just let him bring you
one then,unless you are in a huge hurry. That was tbanks (my partner) that was with me the other day
not the "GIMPSTER" I told you he might know a way to get you a hood back from COLEMAN'S for less
than your right arm and first born. (He is THE MASTER of logistics)

Thanks! popacom / BILL in Ky. :driver:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Logistics? We've got logistics running out of our ears! LOL. Paris is darned close to Winchester Gimp. Man, I gotta buy some land in that area before its all gone! I think I hear a run on 6.2 intakes Gimpster!

Tanner

In the civilian models, the C-code motors were typically setup with EGR & had lower power numbers, while J-code motors were open intake 'heavy-duty' versions with a bit more power & torque.

I've never heard of the HMMWV having a low-profile intake - the intakes I've looked at from civilian & HMMWV 6.2's look the same height-wise - about 5" high or so.

'Tanner'

Dodgeman1941

Ok, so the way I read this thread, an open plenum is an improvement. Would it be possible to take the existing intake and mill the interior web that divides the intake, out. I like the idea of opening it up just for the ability to run only one of the cvc {I might have the letters wrong} vents into the intake so I can eliminate a bunch of the lines that run all over {that's important because our little rubber elbows all rotted away and we haven't been able to find replacements so we cobbled something up until we could find replacements.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dodgeman, I imagine it would require quite a bit of work milling out all that aluminum down in the plenum. A lot easier and simplier just to buy the open plane intake.

REGULATOR

the intake I removed fromt eh hummer 6.2 was too low, so swapped back the original one

still have the old one, but like I said it was too low

ralbelt

When I had the original intake and Gimpy's intake side by each on the bench I put a straight edge across and the are exactly the same height. I also used the original air filter assembly with only a fresh coat of paint.

ralbelt

Has one fitting on the passenger side for the cdr valve. IT would not be to hard to add one to the drivers side if you wanted to use both I am only running the pass. side with no ill effects.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This brings to light another question - what is the purpose of the Cv valve? What would be wrong with eliminating the valve and running the CV hose directly to the intake?

Hey gimpyrobb are those HMMWV manifolds or are they for the later year serpentine belt civi 6.2s??? Also sharecropper if you decide to change to a single plane manifold there might be some issues with getting it to sit all the way down on top of the motor. you might have to saw a little or notch the thing...though im not 100% sure but the civi manifold might be a direct fit with no mods. Anyhow what ever manifold you put on it porting and polishing it will probly give you the biggest performance boost. Just lay the gasket over the head and then the manifold and make the holes in the manifold match the gasket.
Er, I think that procedure is called "Port Matching", not porting and polishing. Sorry, but I've been doing head work for years, and learned from one of the best in the business how to port and polish heads...
Also, without doing exhaust modifications as well, one stands very little to gain for porting and polishing heads, and even less from a port matching alone. Not to say it won't run a little better, but for the amount of labor involved and the problem with possibly getting metal shavings down into the combustion chambers (Using a magnet and stuffing the ports with newspaper can help), I doubt I would bother. Just my 2cents

This brings to light another question - what is the purpose of the Cv valve? What would be wrong with eliminating the valve and running the CV hose directly to the intake?
I bought a civi suburban once with a 6.2L in it which had the CDR valve removed. They had placed a pair of regular PCVs in the two holes coming out of the oil filler tube area, and ran the hoses back to the holes on each side of the plenum. This elaborate settup went over about as well as a pregnant nun when it came to managing blowby. There was oil covering the engine with the source being very obviously the oil filler tube. I switched it back to a CDR settup, replaced a blown rear main seal, and down the road she went...
If you did try the settup you about which you are typing, I would almost guarantee the engine to start smoking badly, and oil consumption to go through the roof, and finally a blown head gasket or two after cylinder head temps rise enough.