• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Opened drain and it stalled out

tokarev

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fuel filter drain - Today I tried opening the valve (first time) while the engine was idling and the engine stumbled and stalled out. I was under the impression that during idle was the the time to drain water from the filter. Now she dont want to start up - Theres a slight chance its out of fuel - fuel gauge has been relatively accurate. 10 gallons will be added tonight........

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Jericho

I have started M 35s with ether on more than a few occurences BUT the method he is talking about above is SO MUCH BETTER .

tokarev

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just removed the line from the fuel pump at the filter - no fuel. Was it a coincidence it stopped running as I cracked open the drain valve? hmmmm

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
it is also possible that when you opened the valve you allowed to air into the unit. not likely but possible.

Last edited:

tokarev

Steel Soldiers Supporter
it is also possible that when you opened the valve you allowed to air into the unit. not likely but possible.
I was thinking the same on letting air in the system....but thats how your supposed drain water from the filter. Truck started and was running fine before I opened the valve. Tomorrow we check fuel pump

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
YOur fuel pump is bad, I had this same issue on a truck. The injector pump was drawing from the fuel tank, not the pump.
when you opened the water separator drain, you lost suction. This happened to me on a hmmwv while on duty and was During a joint inspection, the army showed up with full fuel tanks.....hmmwv was going on a C17 ride, AFI requires that there only be a 1/4 tank of fuel for flight....anyway, bad fuel pump.

tokarev

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am sure this has been asked before - Is the fuel pump for a 6.5 civilian the same as the 6.5 non turbo M998 engine ( engine was replaced in 07) ?

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am sure this has been asked before - Is the fuel pump for a 6.5 civilian the same as the 6.5 non turbo M998 engine ( engine was replaced in 07) ?
Yes...but make sure it has the vent nipple on it, any model year 1980's 6.2 equipped trucks that had the 6.2 or 6.5.
chevy, GM...CK pickups, suburbans....

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fuel filter drain - Today I tried opening the valve (first time) while the engine was idling and the engine stumbled and stalled out. I was under the impression that during idle was the the time to drain water from the filter. Now she dont want to start up - Theres a slight chance its out of fuel - fuel gauge has been relatively accurate. 10 gallons will be added tonight........

and then again....may want to make sure you have fuel first.

kc5mzd

If you have a working in tank pump to drain the water. You should shut the engine off and turn the start switch to the run position without starting the engine. Then with the in tank pump running open the valve on the water separator part way till clean fuel comes out. Then close it. Turn the start switch to off. Then start and run normally.
With no or broken in tank pump you should fill the tank all the way up. WITH THE ENGINE OFF - Make sure the fuel level in the tank is several inches higher than the water separator. Then slowly open the valve with your finger over the drain. If you feel suction close the valve immediately. If liquid comes out - allow to drain till clean fuel comes out then close the valve. Then you should be able to start and run normally till you can fix the in tank pump if it is broken.
I don't care what anyone says If you breach the fuel system with the engine running you run the risk of allowing air into the system and disabling the vehicle.

dmetalmiki

"I don't care what anyone says If you breach the fuel system with the engine running you run the risk of allowing air into the system and disabling the vehicle."
Yep! best way is engine off. Then as said, Switch on, and the in tank (should) do the rest.I that pump is not working, (You ought to be able to hear it running) The other methods mentioned can be tried.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have a working in tank pump to drain the water. You should shut the engine off and turn the start switch to the run position without starting the engine. Then with the in tank pump running open the valve on the water separator part way till clean fuel comes out. Then close it. Turn the start switch to off. Then start and run normally.
With no or broken in tank pump you should fill the tank all the way up. WITH THE ENGINE OFF - Make sure the fuel level in the tank is several inches higher than the water separator. Then slowly open the valve with your finger over the drain. If you feel suction close the valve immediately. If liquid comes out - allow to drain till clean fuel comes out then close the valve. Then you should be able to start and run normally till you can fix the in tank pump if it is broken.
I don't care what anyone says If you breach the fuel system with the engine running you run the risk of allowing air into the system and disabling the vehicle.

There is no in tank fuel pump on a hmmwv, the water separator drain Petcock is opened while at idle, the fuel pressure forces out water and debris at the bottom of the fuel filter canister. The fuel pressure pushes out any air, it does not suck it back in, but in the case of a bad fuel pump...then there is no pressure and that can allow air to enter in and starve the motor of fuel once the injector pump losses suction.

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just did new glow plugs and injectors and fuel filter, got the same exact issue, it was idling rough, so I opened the drain and it stopped, I refilled the fuel filter and it ran like crap, It limped into the garage, I refilled the the filter assembly but it would not restart.
I cranked the engine, still no fuel coming out of the filter, disconnected the filter and still no fuel from the pump outlet.
This is not the best to do , but I filtered some fuel and hooked a hose to the injector pump and the engine started and ran fine, but no fuel came out of the pump outlet.
New pump is on order and I took the old one off and cut it open the diaphragm is ok, but the pump was sticking, see picture IMG_1501 (1).JPG

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Quick update, got the new pump, put a drain hose on the fuel filter outlet, cranked the engine until there were no bubbles.
Re hooked the hose to the injector pump and it runs like new

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks