• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Opinion on towing capacity

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Speaking of that...

I think I'm in love.
Dang Right! Those things drag a big fat juicy trailer and haul the M1 Abrams, so weight won't be an issue!

Only drawback I can see is that there is a bench seat in the back - where the peanut gallery can ride to offer commentary about your driving... :)

Jeepsinker

All arguing aside, if you want to tow a piece of light tracked armor with a deuce, you need a deuce tractor conversion or an original deuce tractor ( M246?) And one of the short single axle drop deck trailers they used with them. Model numbers are apparently escaping me today.
But a 5 ton tractor and trailer would indeed be better for this.

rustystud

Speaking of that...

I think I'm in love.
Hey Montaillou. I tried to buy a HEMMET a few years ago, but the wife had a fit and fell in it ! To answer your original question, your brakes are the limiting factor on a Deuce. That and the suspension over-hang from the rear axles. Remember your pivoting point would be where the Brace Rods mount to the frame. The Deuces max tow capacity is 5 tons because of these limitations. Could it tow this trailer with all that weight. Yes. Could you safely stop it. NO !
A 5 ton should be in your future.
If you ever do pick up this FV102 let me know. I would love to come up and check it out.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Long time no see.

I have started looking around on deals that might show up for a 5 ton and/or trailer. Not too seriously as I don't have a place to park one, but if the deal is good enough...

rustystud

Long time no see.

I have started looking around on deals that might show up for a 5 ton and/or trailer. Not too seriously as I don't have a place to park one, but if the deal is good enough...
Yeah, all the good deals on 5 tons have come and gone ! Missed the boat there myself.
Hey did you ever catch "covid " ?
I'm fighting my second round right now. Got all the shots and booster too. Sucks ! I don't know if my lungs will ever be the same again. I think I coughed up my left lung last time !

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey did you ever catch "covid " ?
To my knowledge, I haven't had it. 2 shots + booster + work from home + little social life, helps.

Long covid sounds like a bitch, I'm more scared of that than dying.

I think there's still a good deal out there. Hell, I practically tripped over an engine swap. Guy wanted my engine for a tractor, so I said, 'well, any chance you have a 6BT'? "Oh, I got 3" So, sometimes things work out.

I did buy a 5 ton last year for just over $2k, but I'm trading it to a mechanic - he's the one doing the labor on the engine swap as well as some other work on my Deuce. I'm sure there's another out there.

As soon as I moved the Deuce to my mechanic's, the neighbors took pictures and put their house up for sale. I offered to bring it back so they could update the pics...

rustystud

To my knowledge, I haven't had it. 2 shots + booster + work from home + little social life, helps.

Long covid sounds like a bitch, I'm more scared of that than dying.

I think there's still a good deal out there. Hell, I practically tripped over an engine swap. Guy wanted my engine for a tractor, so I said, 'well, any chance you have a 6BT'? "Oh, I got 3" So, sometimes things work out.

I did buy a 5 ton last year for just over $2k, but I'm trading it to a mechanic - he's the one doing the labor on the engine swap as well as some other work on my Deuce. I'm sure there's another out there.

As soon as I moved the Deuce to my mechanic's, the neighbors took pictures and put their house up for sale. I offered to bring it back so they could update the pics...
To bad my shop isn't finished yet ! I would love to get a 5 ton. Glad to hear you didn't catch the crap covid ! Both my wife and me got the "long" running kind. Actually I guess it's your body that determines how fast you kick this crap. My chest still hurts at times and feels like I need to cough all the time now. One night I actually though I might not make it to morning. Couldn't get any air !
Thankfully I'm on a CPAP machine which forced air into me. Thank you sleep Apnea !
Now what"s this about a tracked vehicle I hear your trying to buy ? I would so love to have a tracked vehicle. I miss driving the M60A1 tank in the Marines.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now what"s this about a tracked vehicle
It's my fall back in case the 'round the world thing doesn't pan out.

Tracked vehicles cost a fortune in the States, but they're practically cheap in Europe. I'm good at paperwork and logistics, so I figure I can find one at a decent price ($20k to $35k - maybe less), and ship it here. I've been looking at the FV 102 because it's more affordable than a tank. Also some variants were missile launchers and I figure they're pretty much already de-mil'ed so no/little added expense. Can't license them in WA, so it's off road driving only. LOTS of logging roads near me, also, the beach on the coast is a state highway, so there's that too. I think it'd be fun to spend weekends driving one around.

There are some tanks I would consider, but I don't have deep pockets. And no Ruskie tracked vehicles - they're cheap, but too wide. American vehicles are usually WAY too expensive, but any other NATO country would work.
Check out https://www.milweb.net/ it's a good source.

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

Tracked vehicles cost a fortune in the States, but they're practically cheap in Europe. I'm good at paperwork and logistics, so I figure I can find one at a decent price ($20k to $35k - maybe less), and ship it here. I've been looking at the FV 102 because it's more affordable than a tank. Also some variants were missile launchers and I figure they're pretty much already de-milled so no/little added expense. Can't license them in WA, so it's off road driving only. LOTS of logging roads near me, also, the beach on the coast is a state highway, so there's that too. I think it'd be fun to spend weekends driving one around.

There are some tanks I would consider, but I don't have deep pockets. And no Ruskie tracked vehicles - they're cheap, but too wide. American vehicles are usually WAY too expensive, but any other NATO country would work.
Dang Right!! Sounds like it would be a heck of an adventure too.

Owning a tracked vehicle would definitely be fun. Driving an M4 (high speed tractor) on Davidson Street here in Charlotte was a big adventure in the 1980's. Company that owned them had street tread and so the adventure in cold weather was to "go for a drive" every now and again :cool:

rustystud

Tracked vehicles cost a fortune in the States, but they're practically cheap in Europe. I'm good at paperwork and logistics, so I figure I can find one at a decent price ($20k to $35k - maybe less), and ship it here. I've been looking at the FV 102 because it's more affordable than a tank. Also some variants were missile launchers and I figure they're pretty much already de-mil'ed so no/little added expense. Can't license them in WA, so it's off road driving only. LOTS of logging roads near me, also, the beach on the coast is a state highway, so there's that too. I think it'd be fun to spend weekends driving one around.

Yeah stay away from the Russian tanks. Money pits ! There not that well built in the first place, then factor in the cost of repair parts and shipping and your broke all the time !!!
Maybe a good British or German tracked vehicle. :-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks