• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Opinions and Sources for Cab Heaters

joesco

Will be picking up my new deuce in the next couple of weeks and I am already planning for another New England Winter next year.

It has a soft top and no heater. I just completed an exhaustive search and did not come up with much. I have also got a few good suggestions from the current owner. Looking for more opinions please.

What are my options and approximate costs. Thanks folks!!

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
NOS heaters are getting scarce. If you find one prepare to spend $500 or more. The other option is fo find an M151 heater or kit and adapt it to the truck. I just bought 2 deuces and sold one to Devilman96. His has an M151 heater in the cab. I know he stayed toasty warm driving back from TN in the sub 30 weather. My truck on the other hand, had nothing so I had to wear a jacket.

joesco

Re: RE: Opinions and Sources for Cab Heaters

Recovry4x4 said:
NOS heaters are getting scarce. If you find one prepare to spend $500 or more. The other option is fo find an M151 heater or kit and adapt it to the truck. I just bought 2 deuces and sold one to Devilman96. His has an M151 heater in the cab. I know he stayed toasty warm driving back from TN in the sub 30 weather. My truck on the other hand, had nothing so I had to wear a jacket.
Thanks, that was my first choice and I see them for around $100.00. Just wondering how difficult an install it would be. $500 for heat is just not in the budget, paint and tires are on the list also. Just might have to bring the wife along this coming winter!! She would be thrilled! :cry:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Next time I'm at Mikes, I'll get some pics. It's basically just bolted to the firewall on the pass side. You can see a little bit of it in this pic.

Attachments

davidkroberts

one of the guys on my gama goat yahoo group bought a commercial model available on JC Whitney and converted it. Its a rated 12V blower but a doable project, made for a clean install.

steelandcanvas

Google Midwest Military...They have a heater for M37 for $550...probably work well in a Deuce...Keep looking, I run across them now and then...I bought mine from Frank's Surplus, but I think he's out... Good Luck!

m376x6

Heaters

A company by the name of Red Dot has heaters factory made with 2 speed 24 volt motors. They come in a variety of sizes and shapes. They have a link to find nearby distributors and if you get the right one (distributor) you can buy them below retail. Hopefully this link will work.
http://www.rdac.com/

Regards,
Bryan

houdel

Not to mention the fact that the OEM Deuce heater pretty much sucks! Depends on how authentic you want to look vs how comfortable you want to be!

joesco

Recovry4x4 said:
Next time I'm at Mikes, I'll get some pics. It's basically just bolted to the firewall on the pass side. You can see a little bit of it in this pic.
Thanks for the pic, is there an outlet to run a duck to defrost?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are actually lots of info on this...

http://steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=16343&highlight=heater+trip

If you want your cab heated before you drive it, consider a fuel burning heater, the only way to go IMHO. The "hot water heater" doesn't get up to speed untill the engine is warmed up and by that time the firewall is hot and it's not needed any longer except for defrosting the windshields (yes, there are ducts for defrosting).

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I concur with Bjorn. I prefer the fuel burning heaters, but they are very hard to find. The hot water heater kits are sufficient, but you have the problems that Bjorn identified above. Check with HALFTRACK. He sold me a take-out kit that was complete. He says that he takes the heaters out of every truck he gets because he does not need heat down in LA!

saddamsnightmare

April 2, 2008.

Dear Joesco:

Look on Saturn Surplus's Site for the Winterization Kit for the M35, complete with winter front it goes for $475.00 or thereabouts. Beats having no heat, no defrost, no nothing in your winters.

Regards,

Kyle F. McGrogan

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got several pieces and parts of the stock heater but I don't have it all and what I have is in questionable shape. I'm thinking of building my own.You can buy new heater cores on ebay dirt cheap that fit whatever. I am thinking of just buying a core and a blower and building the rest. Shouldn't be that hard.

MilspecKilroy

Heaters for your deuce

You might also check out www.espar.com They manufacture all sorts of heaters for equipment, off-road trucks, over the road trucks, etc. I checked into their small fuel fired units when spec-ing out an off road rig for an Air Force unit in Alaska. Admittedly, it won't be authentic but if your goal is to stay warm. . .

I just bought my deuce sans heater and someday may consider adding an espar although I'm pretty cold-resistant having spent 9 years in Maine (now in Arkansas) but the girl friend freezes anywhere south of about 75 degrees!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks