• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

opinions on 31x10x50 michelin ltxat2's

Spek

A friend and I are purchasing 2 m1009's and they need new tires to make the trip home. I use michelins on all my other vehicles and was told that the closest thing to the original stock tires we the ones above. Anyone have this size tire so I can see pics of how it will sit. Was wondering if I should go bigger.

The vehicles will be used daily on and off road once restored. I was not sure how big of a tire you can go on stock rims and original lift and what they would look like. Google gives me no pics.

looking for opinions before we pull the trigger on 2k in rubber :)

Thanks

Last edited:

jaymcb

Search is your friend http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/87827-m1009-tire-size-question.html should answer your size question.

If you really plan to be used daily on and off road, you may want to look at something a little more aggressive, tread wise. I have ltxat2's on my civvy yukon denali, and it's a pretty all-season-y road tire, IMO. Note, my m1009 does go off road, but the only off road the yukon does is an 80 foot stone driveway.

If you're driving a 1009, road noise is the least of your noise worries :p

If you're really going off road, ltxat2 might not be the tread ticket.

congrats on the 1009's.

Spek

Search is your friend http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/87827-m1009-tire-size-question.html should answer your size question.

If you really plan to be used daily on and off road, you may want to look at something a little more aggressive, tread wise. I have ltxat2's on my civvy yukon denali, and it's a pretty all-season-y road tire, IMO. Note, my m1009 does go off road, but the only off road the yukon does is an 80 foot stone driveway.

If you're driving a 1009, road noise is the least of your noise worries :p

If you're really going off road, ltxat2 might not be the tread ticket.

congrats on the 1009's.
Thanks for the search,...I was trying to be too specific in my search. So it appears you can go to 33x12.5's without mods. Unfortunately there were no Michelins available from my tire source in that size. They have Goodyear Wranglers Duratrac Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac

and BF Goodwrich Mud Terrain BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM2

Anyone have experience with either..... still open for options. I will be keeping the stock rims.

cucv1833

You can try TREADWRIGHT.COM for retreads. The 31's are like $100 a piece. I have no expeirance with them but seems ok. I think they quit making the 33". I have 33" on mine with a 2.5" lift.

ehuppert

I've got the Duratracs on my 1008, mot a lot of miles so far but they seem good! Fairly aggressive, but also not too much road noise.

I, and several other SS members, have said it before... General Grabber AT2's. They're good on road, they're a good all-around offroad tire, and they are pretty inexpensive. They also come in a fairly large range of sizes.

I don't have AT2's on my M1009 (I do want a set for it thought), but I have experience with them on other SUVs and they are great. I have BFG mudders on mine now...they suck in snow, and they are really loud.

Last edited:

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
tire size

You can run the 33's without a lift IF the trucks suspension is in good shape otherwise on steering lock to lock they will catch the inner corner of the front fenders. The 31-10.50-15 has no issues whatsoever. You can get different sizes that may fit better like a (33-10.50-15) but you lose affordability and brand choice.

Best all around tire IMHO are the Generals AT2's and BFG's All terrains

David

Skinny

If you need a great all around tire for on/off road and don't want to spend a lot of money, I wouldn't look further than Treadwright MTR's or General Grabber AT2's. Everything else is either junk or too expensive. There are better tires out there but you will pay for it.

jmassenga

Thanks for the search,...I was trying to be too specific in my search. So it appears you can go to 33x12.5's without mods. Unfortunately there were no Michelins available from my tire source in that size. They have Goodyear Wranglers Duratrac Goodyear*Wrangler DuraTrac

and BF Goodwrich Mud Terrain BFGoodrich*Mud-Terrain T/A KM2

Anyone have experience with either..... still open for options. I will be keeping the stock rims.
I've been quite happy with the 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Wrangler Dura Tracs on stock rims on my M1009. They've been on it for ~4000 miles. They're an excellent tire for snow and ice, fairly quiet (no high-pitched whine like my old tires) and handle well on road, and they've been great for the little bit of off-road I've done so far. No body-fender contact, and I have mudflaps taking up a tiny bit of wheelwell room too. Disclaimer is I do have a 1" lift I added for more ground clearance at the t-case skid plate, but I don't think the tires would hit the body if I didn't have that. I'd buy them again.

bulldawg

I have been running 285-75-16's treadwrights on my Pinzgauer for about a year with no problems. Excellent traction with no road noise.

Spek

Thanks for everyones input. We ordered a set of DuraTrac's and a set of BFG T/A KM2's in 33x12.5 15's...that way we can try out a set on each vehicle to see what we like best.

I'll let you know after we pick up the CUCV's and get some road time.

Spek

donalloy1

I went with BF Goodrich TA KM2's 33 10.5. Rides great, do not sing to bad, little floaty though due to elevation change. Need to test in dirt! :evil:

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for everyones input. We ordered a set of DuraTrac's and a set of BFG T/A KM2's in 33x12.5 15's...that way we can try out a set on each vehicle to see what we like best.

I'll let you know after we pick up the CUCV's and get some road time.

Spek

I would like to see some pictures.:)

David

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks