• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Opinions on HMMWV camper project

alpine44

Opinions/Ideas for HMMWV 6.5 Turbo camper project

I sold my M998 2-man with troop carrier canvas today mainly because we have to move back to the East coast (at least for a while). Having to move this beast over 2000 miles was not an appealing proposition.

On the East coast I have my own land, shop, plus several bases and surplus dealers around. So I am thinking about the following project:

• Find a M1038 cheap as a rolling chassis or non-runner.
  • Get a surplus 6.5L GEP Turbo engine with 4L80 and T-case.
  • Find a 2-litter ambulance body.
  • Strip the M1038 down, service wheel hubs, balance driveshafts, replace whatever is not 100% on frame and suspension.
  • Install drivetrain and pre-fit the body. Make body fit with lift, sheet metal trimming, and custom doghouse. Remove body and wire/plumb chassis as much as possible.
  • Coat the body with dbSkin and repaint the interior. Mount it on the chassis and install cooling stack, accessories, wiring, etc. Drive it around the yard to keep sanity.
  • Modify front grill/hood to fit the larger cooling stack. (What parts do I need for the M1038 chassis?).
  • Install ambulance body (Does the B-pillar get removed and what happens to the rear bumper area?).
  • Spend countless hours on the nitty gritty stuff.

So much for the rough idea. Where are the caveats?

Is anyone trying to sell a 2-litter ambulance body on the eastern seaboard?

BTW: I am doing this for therapeutic reasons to balance my work-life spent behind monitor and keyboard. I am a mechanical engineer and have (re)build motorcycles, cars, boats, and airplanes before.
We loved the M998 on trails and around town but the canvas was too easy for critters and shady characters to get into and the 6.2L/TH400 drivetrain was lacking on the highway and on passes.

Last edited:

alpine44

2 Litter, no but I know where several like new 4-litters area at in GA. Good luck on your move and project !
Thanks.

I like the looks of the 2-litter body better and it will provide enough space for our needs. The 4-litter would be more top heavy and more cumbersome on trails.

Does anyone know the height from floor to roof for the 2-litter body?

alpine44

Got a M998 chassis today (M1038 were going too high) with 3200 miles, overhauled in 2006, with a 6.5L GEP NA in non-running condition. Missing hood would have been replaced anyway to fit larger cooling stack.
531672_6002_160_0001.jpg

The MWOs are up to 9.2320.280.20.1 What other upgrades should I consider?

A 6.5L GEP Turbo engine with 4L80 transmission and T-case plus cooler, hood, grill, etc. is on order. Let the madness begin...

Last edited:

saddamsnightmare

September 21st, 2016.

Given that most HMMWV's lately are being sold as "Off Road Use" only by the Gov't, are you planning on hunting up one of the old Marine Corps 1990's swap-outs? The other curious thought on my end is would not an LMTV 1098 4X4 be a better conversion basis for your camper? Neither one are very good road trucks, but the LMTV seems to have fewer mechanical and operational issues on the road other then being glacially slow.;-)

alpine44

September 21st, 2016.

Given that most HMMWV's lately are being sold as "Off Road Use" only by the Gov't, are you planning on hunting up one of the old Marine Corps 1990's swap-outs? The other curious thought on my end is would not an LMTV 1098 4X4 be a better conversion basis for your camper? Neither one are very good road trucks, but the LMTV seems to have fewer mechanical and operational issues on the road other then being glacially slow.;-)
Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

The Marine Corps vehicles currently on GP are way too expensive and do not have a turbo. We drove roads in the 10,000 feet range with our previous M998 and there is not enough oxygen to make the diesel perform without a turbo.

By the time I am done with the modifications, I could probably register it as a 'homebuilt' or 'kit' car without exaggeration. But here in Montana where I hope to return to it is not a problem to get the M998 registered as a regular vehicle.

When we say "camper", my wife and I mean something you can hang out and prepare a meal in when it rains outside and be able to stretch out for the night. We do not drag our television, microwave, dishwasher, etc. into the outdoors.

I have driven an LMTV and 'glacially slow' is the correct description. Too much truck for us anyway. The M998 was impressive even on pavement. Without armor and a gun turret it goes trough turns like a sportscar due to the wide track and low center of gravity. As far as mechanical complexity is concerned, the M998 is one step above 'old farm tractor' and that is simple in today's digital world. An LMTV has a whole lot more electronics and hydraulics that require special tools and diagnostic equipment.

Last edited: