• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Opinions on M1009 Tires

LastFbody

So my either original, or at least not far off of original Wrangler At/s's are pretty worn down and dry rotted. Its almost time for tax refunds, and I've kicked around a few ideas on tires, but wanted to get some outside input before I make up my mind.

1. Goodyear Wrangler Trailrunner At: Got a set of them for my everyday truck last year. I haven't been disappointed with them, they're a lot better than the Bfg Radial Long Trail T/As they replaced. But they're not as aggressive as I had originally planned for the m1009.

2. Bfg All Terrain KO2: More aggressive than the Trailrunners, but not by a ton. Pretty similar really. More proven.

3. General Grabber X3: Awesome looking and lots of glowing reviews. Only concern is they're 52lbs where the first 2 are in the low 40s. Don't know if that much more weight would be asking too much of the 3.08 geared 10 bolts, or the rest of the drivetrain. Or the steering for that matter.

Saw the wrangler duratracs on an m1009, didn't strike my fancy really. Doesn't help that they aren't cheap.

Bfg mud terrains are alright, but a little on the pricey side too. Especially considering how similar the Grabber x3s are for ~$50 less each.

Gunshy about Firestone/Bridgestone, but I could be swayed if they're really worlds better than they were 10-20 years ago.

There's a lot of other tires out there, but I'm not gonna get anything with a techy sidewall like the old Wrangler Pro Grades (great tires btw). I do want my truck to look at least close to original. I'm also not gonna get full off road tires like super swampers either since I do drive on pavement more than off road. Also gonna keep the stock 31 size, its on stock suspension with unclipped fenders.

Let me know if theres anything other than those first 3 you guys can think of that I haven't considered. Thanks!

Last edited:

cucvrus

You get what you pay for when it comes to tires. The Goodyear Duratrak are the best traction off road and on road for the $$. IMHO I use them on all my plow trucks. They last the longest and seem to get less flats on a commercial assembly plant property. I have Goodyear MTR's on my M1009 that I use in the woods for cutting firewood and they work excellent. I had BFG Baja claw. Not bad either. I had side wall cuts with them. The Goodyear MTR has the Kevlar side wall. But once again. It only cost a couple dollars more to go first class. It's a long ride pay now and save later. Kumho has decent tires for the $$ and Hankook if you want inexpensive. I like the look of the aggressive tires on my CUCV's. Firestone Destination AT is also an inexpensive tire. Have a great day. No happy faces is a bad day.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Different animal but I have 6 duratracs on my SECM and they work great,.especially in the snow. I have BFG KM2s on my M1010 and have about 3500 miles on them. Rather have duratracs but they didn't make them in the 255/85R16.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Visit Walmart and look at the Wrangler Authority only they carry. Tread pattern the same as HMMWV MTR. I was sold and love 'em on my '09.

ehuppert

Another vote for Duratracs. They last forever and not much noise. Have them on my 1008 plow and firewood truck and traction never an issue! With that said, I'm looking at Michelin Defender LTX's for another light duty road truck. Great reviews, but pricey. Looks like a snow tire, (but considered all season)

Cheap tires are just that! They never last very long and you end up spending more in the long run (when you have to replace them at half the mileage)

Eric

Barrman

This is going to be an opinion mostly thread. So, here is mine.

I put 33x12.50 BFG all terrain KO2's on the M1009 my son drives 2 years ago next month. 28,000 mile later of almost all highway with only off road needed to do mountain bike racing and camping. They have not shown any wear at all, ride great make very little noise track really good on the highway.

I haven't tried any other kind of tires on my M1009's, so I really can't comment on the rest. However, if you can get a good tire for significantly less, go for it.

LastFbody

The glowing reviews of the Duratracs have kinda put em back in the running for me. And honestly they aren't THAT expensive. Or heavy, they're lighter than I thought at 43lbs.

Haven't heard any thoughts on high rolling weight with the high gears in the m1009, anyone running 50+lb tires?

Hasdrubal

I'm on my second set of 33x12.50 BFG all terrain KO's. Got 86,000 miles on first set, could have still ran them up to 100,000, but not enough tread for winter driving around hills here.

DREDnot

If you can still find a set of these yokohama Geolandar MTs, they are great tires. Quiet. Cheap. Great traction. Have a similar look to the Michelin XL military tires

DSCN3788.jpg

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I (thankfully) took the recommendations of my Goodyear tire representative many years ago. I bought a set of Duratracs for my M1009. The tires have amazing wet and dry traction. I can't speak for ice and snow traction due to my location (Orlando). I routinely drive through flooded streets during our summer rainstorm /monsoon season. I've never lost control of the truck because of road conditions. I'm thrilled with the tires. :) They have a tolerable hum at 45-50 MPH. They get a bit loud at 60+ MPH but that's to be expected for the tread design.

Ilikemtb999

315/75/16 ko2’s on my m1009 and 265/75/16 ko2’s on my Sierra. I always look for severe snow rating because of location and frequent trips to the mountains and I’ve never had any complaints. Grip great on ice, snow, mud, rocks, wet rocks etc. no cuts anywhere from off-roading in either vehicle.

A close friend has run duratracs on his 4 door Jeep and he got 60k out of them before replacing with ko2’s. They wore nice and even but got louder and louder as they wore.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sooner or later, you'll curse General.

I have the KOs on my 1009 and my Jeep and they're notoriously hard to keep balanced.

I put Goodyear Silent Armor on my wife's jeep and that will probably be the tire I go to if the KOs ever wear out on my jeep. For the 1009 I'd probably do the Walmart ones mentioned above.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks