• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Opinions on removing the reinforcement behinds seats

Sparo2

Hey guys,

I was thinking about removing the cross reinforcement that goes behind the front seats. It goes from one side of the truck to the other side. I wanted to remove it to give more room for rear leg room. I see the H1s don't have it.

Does anyone know if it can be removed with no ill effects?

orgnal

Hey guys,

I was thinking about removing the cross reinforcement that goes behind the front seats. It goes from one side of the truck to the other side. I wanted to remove it to give more room for rear leg room. I see the H1s don't have it.

Does anyone know if it can be removed with no ill effects?
I have wondered about this as well. In the end I left them alone hoping that they are providing structural rigidity. I know the civilian H1s do not have them.

McReddy

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you referring to the bulkhead that is bolted to the floor and the B pillar?

If so, that wall can be removed as the 4 man set up typically does not use it as there is different bulkhead for the 4 man that goes behind the rear seats.

darr3239

I think he's referring to the bars behind the front seats as shown in this photo from someone else's HMMWV.

Apparently the bars were removed on mine, by one of the previous owners, when the commander seats were installed, so the driver's seat could move back further.

Sure, they would help some with a side impact hit, but otherwise I don't think it's critical if they are removed.

1985-Military-Humvee-interior[1].jpg

Sparo2

Yes, those are the ones I'm referring to. Can they just be cut out? I was thinking about later adding a roll cage anyway. So that should stiffen things back up.

Any thoughts?

chickenbutt

In my opinion, why take the chance of more body injury from a side impact? I would think that area would crush a whole lot easier without those. It also gives some rigidity to the B pillar. I've seen some people chop up the B pillar also, which would certainly make it fail in a rollover. Personally, I don't think the B pillars are strong enough to begin with. Most of us have probably seen the results of a rollover crash that I don't even want to mention.
Just my 2 cents :D

TedG

That is the B beam. If you remove it, then you better beware of side impacts/t-bone accidents. If you look at civi h1s, they are removed BUT they place a steel rocker protection skid on the side of the tub. Also the h1s have a more robust b pillar than the soft top military one.

Stonewall

Although the more I work on my HMMWV, the more I am dismayed at the poor engineering and common product utilization, I have to believe that part is there for a reason. I would certainly leave it there; especially if it is an on-road vehicle.

springbok

They are there for a reason. If you remove them it voids the warranty LOL
Seriously, I would leave them in. I did however cover mine with padding as I do not want anyone in the back breaking their leg in the event of a head on or a tree that will not get out of the way

Sparo2

Well I wasn't planning on not adding reinforcement back into it once I remove the beam. I was thinking of adding a roll cage for added strength, especially in rollovers. I was also thinking about adding a skid plate/rocker panel protectors. I suppose I'll leave it in there for now. Until I get ready to add the roll cage and the rocker panel reinforcement. Thanks guys