• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Opinions on tires

SrIrie

Well when I purchased and built my truck the only option for 46's was the G20 or XL's and they were even hard to come buy. So that is what I have been running for some time now(also happy with). So on the way home from a trip this weekend one went down and I had no safe place to stop and pull over for about a quarter of a mile so needless to say it is shot. Now there are many options for the 46 inch tires and all seem to be easily found. So my question is witch ones to buy. OPINIONS WANTED XL's again or XZL's or XML's or Goodyear's or something I am missing.
I will be replacing all 6 of them between lock up flat spots and like 20 plus thousand miles its time.

goldneagle

I've heard on here that Goodyear tires last many more miles in road use, but Michelin tires give better traction off-road.

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On both of my deuces I have Michelin XML's (395's) and really like them. They have been holding up great with over 2,000 miles on the one truck and only about 1,000 miles on the other. My five ton I had GoodYear MVT's (395') and they were great. When I sold it I pulled them off and put it on 14.00's. I like the XML tread pattern alot but also really like the MVT's.

SrIrie

Goldneagle I have herd just the opposite about the Goodyear's that they don't last as long as say my XL's did. But they ride better and get allot better traction in adverse weather conditions, snow ice, rain and such. But in off-road the XML's are the best but wear the fastest on highway.
I don't know I have only run the XL's(there not so good in snow and ice) and that's why I am curious to here from others experiences. I think I am going to buy new this time so would like to spend my money on the best.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Give me free access to any brand new tires and I would take the Michelin XML's.
The Goodyear MVT's are decent but, are rock pickers. I like the Michelin XZL's better.
I would not intentionally buy Michelin XL's.
I currently have trucks equipped with all the tires in my post.

Last edited:

Heath_h49008

The good news is, no matter what you want, the price is dropping like a stone.

One unnamed auction site has a truckload for sale for $100/ea. (Mexican border)

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I ran XMLs for over a year and now have XZLs. Much better performance out of the XZLs. Better wear, less tire noise, GREAT off-road. I have not used the goodyear, but many guys I know with them are happy.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am one comepletely satisfied with the Goodyears. I live in the desert so sand is what we have, but it continues to amaze me how well the truck does in the deep sugar sand. Of course this is aired down. I have been off-roading for almost four decades with everything from two to six wheels. They are pretty good on the road too. There is a little jumpiness to the deuce at about 40 mph but it is pretty smooth from 50 to 60. Never had balance issues, or the death wobble. Just don't try to drive on the road with the tires aired down, at least on the front and without power steering. I have not tried the others.

SrIrie

If your going with new tires you should have a look at the continental HCS tires.
They look great and love continental's have them on a few of my rides but there awfully pricy or I am just to cheap

Give me free access to any brand new tires and I would take the Michelin XML's.
The Goodyear MVT's are decent but, are rock pickers. I like the Michelin XZL's better.
I would not intentionally buy Michelin XL's.
I currently have trucks equipped with all the tires in my post.
MVT's close tread makes since still like them though and buy what I have herd they stick better on ice, packed snow, junk I get around here, but long highway really takes a toll and wears fast.
XL"s don't think I would either this time, smok-N deal maybe
XZL's is what I am leaning towards

Done to much research maybe, probably, mostly the guy's I have found that really have put some miles on these tires are in pickups not are heavy tank of a truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks