• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

opinions wanted

bryab123

i have been thinking about swapping my m1008 to a 4speed manual transmission, i have all the stuff and have done it before to this bodystyle truck. do you think it would help or hurt the resale value? or any other opinions?

AJMBLAZER

Potentially it is a hurt...only because so many folks today can't drive a stick.

That said the SM465 is known for being beefy and while the TH400 is too it's a power sucking hog. Too me, and many like me, the stick would be a plus. I'd like to do the swap myself one day.

Guess it depends who your potential buyers are. Don't expect to get your money back though.

AJMBLAZER

4 speed can be done with all off the shelf GM parts (if you got a donor vehicle in good shape it'd all be there).

5 speed is much more work as these trucks never came with a NV4500 so you're instantly into the aftermarket from step one. People do it and like it but it is no where near as easy as the 4 speed swap.

bryab123

what got me thinking of this is the other day my starter burned up and if it was straight drive i could have rolled it off, but i had to have it towed :cry:

flippydidit

Just my opinion

Hey, it's just my opinion, but I think a starter or starter rebuild would be cheaper than a transmission swap. I understand that you're thinking about what would happen if this occurs in the future, but I've never wanted to push start a 6,000 lb. truck. If it were me, I would focus on the problem that brought you to the transmission swap.....the starter.

Mtrdrms

Ive done it before too and the one thing I would recommend is re gearing the diffs if you go to a 4sp. The gears are vry short with 4.56 rear gears. You may like that but I did not. As for resale value, if it was done correctly and professionally, I bet it would help - people never know what they are going to get with an auto. Good luck and let me know if you have questions about the swap.

Andy