• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Optical Landing System (OLS) - Information needed

WWIILBird

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I purchased a surplus optical landing system mounted on a trailer. This is used for aircraft carrier landing practice and I'm trying to find an operating manual and hand held control unit referred to as a "pickle".

Also would anyone know how to use this unit and have a lead on the hand held control device? The trailer includes the cable long cable for the device.

This thing is very cool and functional except I haven't been able to get the wave off lights to go on and suspect I need the hand held "pickle" device as the red wave off button doesn't seem to do anything.

Thanks

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I purchased a surplus optical landing system mounted on a trailer. This is used for aircraft carrier landing practice and I'm trying to find an operating manual and hand held control unit referred to as a "pickle".

Also would anyone know how to use this unit and have a lead on the hand held control device? The trailer includes the cable long cable for the device.

This thing is very cool and functional except I haven't been able to get the wave off lights to go on and suspect I need the hand held "pickle" device as the red wave off button doesn't seem to do anything.

Thanks
If you can get hooked up with a LSO (Landing Signals Officer) getting some real operational details would be useful. If nothing shows up here, Ward Carroll on YouTube could be a contact. @WardCarroll

He is on your side of the country and he has several contacts had that job on assorted carriers.

WWIILBird

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m not sure what I’ll do with it. I’d like to get the wave off lights working as the final touch. The trailer lights and hand brake work well.

It’s definitely a conversation piece and Aviation man cave or hanger piece.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks