• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

optima batteries

greensix

Installed two red top optima batteries and adapters in my m1009 on 8-11-11 and one has already crapped out. Under warranty for now, inerstate said the cold weather really affects them. Well it is nothing but cold here now. Pulled them out and put duralast golds in no more getting stranded. The alternators are working fine that was first thing I checked. From what I see people either love them or hate them. Anyone else had any problems with them?

Jersey4x4

I used to sell all types of the Optima batteries and they kept coming back for warranty. I just stopped selling them because they were a flawed design for the application being used. As an add on battery they were fine but starting they all failed either sooner or later but they all failed. I strictly use east penn batteries now and have not had any problems with them. I also use the correct size battery for the application so not to overload them.

ODdave

Yup, Had one optima do the same thing you are descibing, and another blow up in my face ( My left eye has dammage from it ). I have a few other optimas that work great.

I have mixed feelings about them.

idM1028

I put Yellow tops in my truck last year. Only time I had a problem like that was when the diode in GEN1 went bad. It's gotten chilly here this year (it was around freezing today during lunch) Have yet to have a problem with the batteries. I love them. I keep a spare set of cheapie batteries in my garage just in case I need them and don't want to drain the Optima's. One's about 500 cranking amps and the others about 800. Last time I changed the fuel filter, I drained those batteries before the truck fired. Put the Optimas in and had it going in 3 or 4 turns of the key. Plus, they're so expensive it seems like the auto parts stores are a little better about testing them and putting a charge on them.

notsosanestan

i have interstate workaholics and have never had a problem. also have had a yellow top in my camaro and had no problems

Last edited:
I have been using them for years. The red tops get damaged if they are deep cycled, not so with the yellow or blue tops. Have had the yellow tops on my A3 for a year and a half. Cranks right up, no matter how cold. Never needed the either.

jdeoliveira74

I just switched to one battery its got 1200 cranking amps bought it at orileys freed up some space in my engine compartment. I am going to install a second in the rear and hook that to a power inverter and relay so it charges when the truck is running but wont draw of front battery when the truck is off

Digger09

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have 2 red tops in my plow truck and they dont like it. They dont seem to recover from the load from plowing. Old batteries were regular ones and made 6 years plowing with no trouble. Tested the alternator and thats 100% so next time im definetely going back to conventional batteries.2cents

My first experience with Optima was running dual blue tops in parallel on my '91 F-150 without any type of isolation device. Worked great with the Warn 12K winch. Both blue tops had the same manufactured dates. After 8 + years I had one fail.

bchesley

Optimas are so over rated. I had one in a scout several years ago and it gave me so much trouble it was not worth it. I switched to Odyssey batteries and love them. I have a pair of them in a boat I own that are from 2005 and they still work like a champ. Sears has rebadged them as their Platinum series and I have two of them in my Dodge Diesel. They are pricey, but well worth it.

Brad

Stalwart

Never had an Optima that didn't fail prematurely. I bought the HEMTT with 2- 1year old yellow tops, one crapped out after a few months. aua

Stalwart

What do you use now?
2 group 31 Kirkland (Costco) marine batteries. I use one on my trailer too to run the 15,000 lb winch. They aren't the absolute best starting batteries but they crank the 12 liter Detroit with ease even after sitting a few months. Also I like them because they have 5/16 studs that work with my cables in both applications.

ClintA

I have have three. I had one go dead and tryed to charge it and it would not take a charge, the other two were good and still have them for about 3 years now?

axeman

i second the sears. sealed gel,930 cca each.thats the biggest that would fit the tray. truck had optimas, but when truck was stolen they took'em. after looking for replacements/reading reviews, I went with die hards. i like sealed units,less or no corrosion. batt trays still look great after 24 yrs.

hardhead

I dont care for Optima batts and when they flatline you have to paralell them with a lead acid battery to get them to charge again I am satisfied Interstate workaholics and Deka (DOD Contractor)

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Out of 24 or 26 (I can't remember) we've had 2 that failed. Held a static charge, failed a load test.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks