• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Optima Battery - Which One?

neb4x4

Anyone of the OPTIMA batteries are AWESOME!!! Red tops for normal day-to-day use. Yellow tops for marine/stereo/loads, blue tops for basically all of the above. It dosn't matter what OPTIMA you get. You will like it and be satisified with it for many years to come!

I have 4 red tops right now, 2 in my Toyota with winch. One in my Pontoon boat, and one for spare. And I can show you the date codes on 2 of the batteries.... They are over 7 years old!!!!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I guess you could do it that way if you wanted. There is another thread on here I read recently that talked about a battery coming loose and grounding out ... it didn't sound very pretty.

So I would recommend how ever you choose to do it you make sure they are "tied" down and won't shift around. I understand that everyone has a budget, so if you are trying to save money by not using the adapters .. don't do it at the cost of safety.

I am not sure what the space looks like on a CUCV, but on my M109A3 had I not bought the adapters, I would have cut plywood about 3/4" thick to cover the bottom of the battery box and then possibly cut 2x4 to put in between the batteries.

The other consideration is to have some sort of strap to hold the batteries down, the adapter actually is screwed to the bottom of the battery box and clips to the bottom of the battery to keep it from bouncing up.

Regards,
Rick
I assume each vehicle requires 2 adapters, correct?

OD Iron LLC Military Vehicle Parts and Accessories

adrianspeeder

Dang, this is the largest group of support I've seen. My less than year lifespan of a redtop matches the results on other boards I visit of not worth the money.

I like my plain ole Wally World group 65 1000ampers with a three year warranty.

I know they get killed in the power carts on the flightline in the winter.

"AGE, need a cart that starts..."

Adrianspeeder

allrevup

Optima batteries are overratted, Do a bit of research ( NOT just repeating propaganda) using the internet and you will be convinced. I personaly know of someone with a 8 year old Optima red, but neither one of mine lasted over 3 years. My 2 Walmart batteries in my M1008 are coming on 5 years this June, I installed a 24V. Solargiser when I installed the batteries, I also rottate then, front to back every other oil change. There are as good a batteries for less then the Optima Some also that cost 50% more, some have longer warrantys. The round cell that Jonson Control used on the optima has being improved upon by other brands. If you desside to go with a Optima, the yellow top would make the better choice but shorter warranty and lower CCA then their compatible RED top but they do have longer reserve capasity also can be drain and recharge more times. I bought into all the hipe and then after 2 RED tops one $190 the other $160 for none military applications I informe myself from commercial operators and the high volume crowd and their high demanding audio/video systems. Daka, Interstate and Exide are good batterys across the board, And there are not that many batterie manufacturers, the same people make batteries for the major retaillers. The way I now look at it is, most any good batteries will last 3-5 years and if after 3 years I have to replace a weak batterie before it leaves me extranded for $70-$100, I am happy with that.

Last edited:

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ok, I just got my brand new red tops and brand new OD Iron Optima adapters but I don't see how this goes.

Take a look at this picture. Is this correct? With the adpaters set int he box like so? They seem to fit better this way than rotated 90 degrees.

Also, is this going to put the Optima posts int he right place? Am I going ot have to build a new dogbone?

Attachments

steved454

Batteries Plus sells the 6TL adapter for $9.95. These are the same item you get at ODIron for $20.00.

Randerson

can't find it on Batteries Plus website?

Keith_J

Be warned the Red Top is only a 48 amp hour battery in total capacity. Yes, it has impressive numbers for CCA but crappy reserve numbers.

For warm weather, they should work. But for extended glow plug use, voltage depression can eventually cause them to fail.

I used one in my TDI which specifies a 94R (80 amp hour) battery. It worked fine for warm weather but failed at -20 and lower.

The amp-hour rating is based on a 20 hour discharge rate. An 80 amp hour battery will drive a 4 amp load for 20 hours without dropping below 12 volts (2 volts per cell). A 48 amp hour (Optima Red Top) will only drive a 2.4 amp load for 20 hours.

There is a non-linear relationship between discharge rate, hence the 20 hour standard. Each glow plug can draw 20 amperes, in a CUCV, that is a 160 ampere load. And immediately after, the batteries need to spin the starter with a 200 ampere load.

eric_banks32

I know of 4 optimas that myself and friends have tried, 3 redtops and a yellow. All have failed from sitting. If you leave it in something that has a constant draw (read fuel injected or computer) they don't last. I went back to putting duralast's in everything I own/work on. Have much better luck with them.

twright

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And on the covers that come with the battery after you but it on the bottom and put the battery in the hold down in the truck will hold them down the don't move around.
AEC Rtired Tony
2M35A1
3M35A2
1M109A2
1m816
1M561
1M1031
1M1008
2M1009
5M105A2

drewzee87t

Optima batteries suck! Overpriced and they don't cycle. Once one goes dead, it's done. It will be the downward spiral to keep it working if it has only been drained once.