• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Optima Battery - Which One?

KI4GSN

Keith_J makes a good point. I would like to point out though, in defense of Optimas, that they consider the Red tops starting/cranking batteries and the Yellow tops are deep cycle. That being said, i've had the same 2 red tops in my 7.3 for 2 years and have never had a problem, and I have a yellow top that has been with me for 4 or 5 years and 3 vehicles, and have never had a problem out of any of them (knock on wood). They come with a decent warranty, and it's worth it to me not to have to deal with lead-acid batteries and the problems that come with them. It's also nice to know that if it gets damaged, there won't be battery acid everywhere. 2cents

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you guys considered the marine-application Blue Top Optima? I just looked at the specs on Optima's website and they are impressive indeed. 900 cold-cranking amps, 1125 cranking amps, and a 155 minute reserve. It's a bigger and heavier Group 31 battery, 12-13/16" long, 6-1/2" wide, 9-3/8" tall, and weighs 60 pounds. I think I will see if 2 of these will fit on my rear tray.

dstang97

I have a blue one in the front and red in the back. i have a winch so i run it to the blue top. Everyone has mixed opinions but I like them. the reason is when they die i just go to the store and they give me a new one no questions asked. other companys just pro rate them. At work they run blue tops in series for all of their emergency generators.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have red tops in my Burb and red tops with adapters in my M1008. Seem pretty good so far.

that1028guy

I have two of them in my 1008 use the supplied adapters, and you can put both of them in the rear battery tray. Reuse the standard tie down and all. Or if you want to buy one cable, you can put them both in the forward tray to make room for a turbo or whatever else. I will try to get a pic of my current setup. I had a bad alt and I daily drove the 1008 for a week and the batteries didnt care one bit. Also, the USPS uses them in all there LLV's and FFV's. Just my 2cents

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I plan to install both batteries in the rear tray to make room for the Bank's fresh air supply which runs to the knockout in the grill in front of the front battery.

that1028guy

The knockout in the grill right next to the radiator? You can keep the batteries in the front and still use that I believe. My 89 burban has the air tube and battery right there.

Ps I want to steal your avatar..... :p

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On my M1028, there's no way to get the fresh air hose by the front battery to the knockout. I kinda want to locate both batteries together anyway.

yetti96

You guys must have old batteries or good luck. Most of the people I have spoken to about Optimas in the past couples of years have been angry and pissed. The build quality has gone done since they were sold in mid 2004 I think. I know everyone in the F-150 forum I visit hates them and has had issues.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A note for all of you folks running 2 batts on one tray. The Gov't had an issue with cracking sheetmetal from the weight on the 6TL on the rear tray. Don't know that your Optima's weigh more but the Gov't recognized the problem.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a very valid point. Maybe a better way to gain access to the fresh air knock-out in the grill would be to replace the big front tray with a smaller civilian tray.

Thoughts anyone?

dstang97

yea if your doing the banks kit you need a civi tray. The 6tl are over kill for these trucks. Mine 6TL cracked my inner fender too. If you got $ buy 2 blue tops.