• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Options for 395

LovinPSDs

I have done alot of reading here and I want to clairfy the options available for mounting 395 AND tracking the same.

Please add any and all info you can, Especially rough prices.

1. Stock rims - Flip hubs, Mount tires, MUST use tubes.

2. Cutom rims - I thnk Clintdigger is the guys name? Rims and tires are REAL expensive to do this if I am correct. Like **** near the cost of the deuce. I swear a long time ago someone quoted me like 4600 bucks or something

3. Modified HEMTT rims? I'm still confused here.

I'm trying to sort this out becauaes the place I'm looking to pick the deuce up from also has ALOT of surplus in stock so I'm trying to figure the best plan and do it all at once. Any advice would be great guys. Not looking to spend a couple G's tho.. I do know that

Thanks for helpin the Neb...

Ian

Ruppster

Member of questionable origins
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have done alot of reading here and I want to clairfy the options available for mounting 395 AND tracking the same.

Please add any and all info you can, Especially rough prices.

3. Modified HEMTT rims? I'm still confused here.

HEMTT rims are set up for the 10 lug nut pattern used on semi trucks and 5 ton 6x6's. In order to use them on a 6 lug nut deuce and a half the center has to be modified. That can be done in one of two ways:

1.) There's at least one or two people on SS selling steel plates that drop right in to the center of the HEMTT rim that has the correct 6 hole pattern for a deuce. You have to cut or torch out the center of the HEMTT rim and then bolt the new plate in using the outer ring of bolts that hold the two halves of the rim together.

2.) The other option is to cut out the center of a deuce rim. Then after cutting out the center of the HEMTT rim you weld in the center piece from the deuce rim in to the center of the HEMTT rim. This is rather tricky and requires skilled measurements to insure the center piece from the deuce rim is perfectly centered in to the HEMTT rim, along with special equipment, and should not be done unless you have the right equipment and skills.

As far as cost item 1 above is not as cheap as using the stock deuce rim but is a lot cheaper then custom rims. It also depends on how cheaply you are able to get HEMTT rims for. The plus side to the HEMTT rims over stock M35 rims is that you can do away with the tube and you get a wider rim that is meant to fit the tire properly.

Ruppster

Last edited:

shannondeese

I am running moddified HEMMT wheels. I went with option 3. I got a set of HEMMT wheels from www.100dollarman.com . I got a set of weld in centers from www.stazworks.com for $50.00 each. I made a very simple jig and used my plasma cutter to cut the center of the HEMMT wheel out, I gently filed and ground the rough edges off of the cut and beveled the wheel. Then I PRESSED the new center in and welded it with my MIG welder. After I was done the wheels track true and are so much better than stock.

FL_Frank

I went a similar route, except with the cut HEMTT's and full plates that bolt up to the existing bolts in the HEMTT rim. The tires are the 395 Goodyear MVTs and they ride very nicely. You can find the tires for ~$100 each for 75-95% wear and the rims/plates were $260 each for me I believe. Granted, not the cheapest route, but it was so worth it.

The down side is if one of these 250lb HEMTTs with 395s falls over, it is a sad moment knowing you have to get it upright again.

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The down side is if one of these 250lb HEMTTs with 395s falls over, it is a sad moment knowing you have to get it upright again
There is a reason that the M900 series trucks had a jib crane mounted on them and came with a chain hoist as Basic Issue Items (BII).

That is also why later HEMMT's and HETT's had Central Tire Inflation Systems (CTIS).

Wrestling those big tires and rims around is not for the faint of heart and light of azz.

LovinPSDs

to bad all the cool chit everyone has for deuces is up north and would rape me on shipping. Any idea if there is a place close to Cincy Ohio? I'm driving there this summer I beleive

I feel like 395's are a must on a deuce. They look so much more badass!!

Preacherboy

I bought hemtt wheels with the centers milled out and plates from 13mike on here, they are excellent. You mentioned clintdigger's wheels and tire combo, the $4000 is both for wheels and tires shipped to your location, I've seen them on a truck and they are nice too. It "looks" like the same exact thing that 13mike does and what other guys are doing. I believe 100dollarman sells the same adapter plates. If I was you being in Houston, I'd drive up to Hooks and visit 5tire.com and get hemtt wheels and 395's from him, mail order adapter plates, and have a local machine shop mill out the hemtt wheels for you.

The combo tire and wheel is heavy, I had to have either my wife or a jr. high student help me. Or pry it up with a shovel, stick a 2x4 under it and pry it up and then push it up. Someone told me the hemtt wheel/395 tire combo weighted 375 pounds each.

I found an amazingly sweet deal on some Michelin tires (3 100% tread life) and was within driving distance of 13mike and mailordered valve stems from headwizard and I have under $2000 in my super singles; but know some other guys have over $4000 invested.

Check out Clinton at ccsurplus.com.

He's in south-central Indiana...not too far from Cinci.

Seems like a great guy. I'm interested in getting some 395's soon, as well. Stopped by once on my way home from a job to check out his stash but was unable to snag any treads at the time because I couldn't haul them home.

There may be others in the area, but I'd definitely recommend chatting with Clinton if you'll be near Cinci.

100dollarman seems great, too...although shipping may be an issue.

Too bad they can't stuff these tires in the USPS Flat Rate boxes - I'd prolly have some by now!

Good luck!

LovinPSDs

I think I can get my tires cheap. There is a surplus yard here looking for me as we speak. These are the same guys I'm looking to get the actual deuce from. Maybe when I come home this summer I can pick the rims up. Still haven't decided if I'm driving or not.

mikeroot2

Bought my rims and tires from CCEquipment(clintdigger97 on ebay). You can get the offsets different front/rear so they track the same without flipping the hubs. Adapters and buying then modifying the rims yourself might be cheaper, might be, but what is your time worth? and I liked the idea of making one phone call to get it all and ready to bolt on the truck. Clinton knows what he's doing (I'm sure the other sources do too)Trust me, the cost of shipping was peanuts compared to the rims/tires. Shipping was $300 from Indiana to Michigan(I couldn't have driven there and back for that).

The looks are a bonus. For me the big selling point was being able to cruise at 62mph on the highway with RPM to spare!

Attachments

LovinPSDs

can you give me a ball park on clints rims?

what rpm does it turn at 62? Also what r you guys maxing out rpms. from what i have read 2700 should be about maxed out eh?

LovinPSDs

Thanks for the Info Mike! I am making some more calls about the deuce i'm lookin at but doesn't have a title.. i don't like that.

What is the recommended max RPMS? The higher end? I know there are alot of conservative people that dont like pushing things but I'm not that guy.

2700? 2800?

mikeroot2

No problem and unless you downshift too early you won't get much more than 2700rpm out of it.
I wouldn't hold it there too long, but then again I am one of those conservative people you talk about. I usaully shift @ 2500. Good luck in your search for a deuce.

davidkroberts

rodney in wisconsin is selling the 395's for 100 each. sells on ebay also but cant remember his store name. I know a guy who will cut the adapter wheels for about 30 a piece. ill try to get his contact info.

FL_Frank

I'll second Rodney Feltz - he's where I bought my very nice 395 MVTs for $100 each, and he delivered (7) to me for a nominal fee as well in Florida, since he was heading this way for other business. All were in excellent shape, some even had the flashing across the tread.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks