• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Options for higher top speed?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
How fast are you looking to go? My M923A2 can roll along smooth highway at 65. Thats plenty fast for me. Bumpy highway you will bounce around alot its harder to control.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A transfercase change could also achieve the desired end result.

I did not start this thread but this is what I have . 1967 M52A2 with 11.00 20 tires when it had the multifuel it ran good at 46 miles per hour now with the Mack 673 it runs about 39 MPH with the non over drive transmission . if I change to the over drive 6453 it will help some how much ? I have looked at the back rearend to find a ratio some numbers but not 6,44 maybe the gears where changed to 8.88 any thoughts ?

Andrmorr

14.00R20's are only rate to 55mph. What are your plans on tire, brakes, differentials, and safety equipment? My M923 with 11.00r20's will only do 55 and that is fine with me.
Ditto...55mph limit is due to centrifugal forces that affect flexible sidewall off-road tires (especially the big soft super singles) and can cause shredding at speed...ever see a top fuel dragster's rear tires grow when they do a burn out?

Last edited:

Csm Davis

Has anyone swapped out their tranny for something with more overdrive to give them a higher top speed?
Since you didn't give us much to go on I guess you mean on your 931A2? It should already run around 70 so how much more do you want? But yeah you can add a overdrive transmission and get more top end just hope your life and truck insurance are paid up. Those 14.00 x 20" are going to sling apart and I don't want to be anywhere around when they do. Drop a Spicer 5 speed in or a Allison 7 speed in and have fun.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

BrainP

Sorry, been away for a bit. M931a2, not so much for more speed, but for a slightly lower rpm while cruising on flat ground. How would a transfer case increase top speed, I thought they where 1:1 in hi gear. Ive got 14.00x20 tires.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
You can do governor springs and get a few more rpms. Which will equate to a higher top speed. The engine will happily rev into the 3000s but the drivetrain is only good for around 2800 or so. The truck really isn't designed for speed. You won't be happy going up hills with higher gears. A few turns on the fuel screw and a few hundred more rpms really breathes life into the truck though.

BrainP

I don't hit the hills very often, and Im not trying to pull a hill at top speed. I can creep up it like everyone else. In Ca. my max speed limit is 55 in this truck anyway. Im also trying to keep the rpms down when cruising around the flat country roads. I use it at a grocery getter. I came across a deal on a ISC 8.3 with a MD3060P. was thinking about dropping it in. I recognize the transfercase being a weak link so have considered some options for it as well.

Last edited:
Since you didn't give us much to go on I guess you mean on your 931A2? It should already run around 70 so how much more do you want? But yeah you can add a overdrive transmission and get more top end just hope your life and truck insurance are paid up. Those 14.00 x 20" are going to sling apart and I don't want to be anywhere around when they do. Drop a Spicer 5 speed in or a Allison 7 speed in and have fun.

You know,...I have wondered about the potential for this happening. Has anyone heard of these tires actually coming apart due to high speed??

My Frankencab goes 72 on flat ground and I have had it up to 78 going down grades here in the Appalachians on I77...especially driving it back from GA.

I have the 14.00x 20's Goodyears.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks