• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Options for mounting spare in HMMWV bed

riderdan

I've not added an airlift rear bumper (yet) to my humvee, so at the moment my spare is just laying flat in the "bed" of my four-man soft top truck. However, that 160lb wheel and tire could be an unwelcome intruder into the cabin should I have to stop hard (currently it's tied to the tailgate latches to keep it from shifting).

When I was in the service, I don't recall that we ever had a spare in the truck--but that could just be my bad memory. In any case, I'm thinking about mounting the wheel/tire in the bed so I don't have to worry about it. I'm interested in hearing what others have done to keep the spare in place: horizontal Y-straps, upright chock brackets, whatever. Pictures would be especially appreciated.

Lawdog734

I use the Special Forces Tire carrier in mine - they're fabricated items. The pic below is an example, but mine is minted to the side of the bed.

20160629_142826_zpsizzz92fs.jpg

Wire Fox

If you want it to lay flat, there's a bunch of generic systems on the internet that use a three webbing straps, coming together in the center, to hold down the tire. They come with bed-mount brackets that you could drill the bed to lock in place. You could probably fab up something on your own for dirt cheap. Another solution would be to grab a LoadTamer cargo net that attaches to all the tie-down points in the bed of the HMMWV and use that to hold onto the wheel....but I'd want to check it against the manufacturer first to see if they think it'll hold a wheel in-place.

I have one of these nets and they seem to be built darn-tough, but I never thought to use one to hold a wheel down before now.

riderdan

I use the Special Forces Tire carrier in mine - they're fabricated items. The pic below is an example, but mine is minted to the side of the bed.
View attachment 680477
Thanks for the pic. Did you reinforce the bed somehow, or just bolt it through with washers? I'm still amazed by how heavy the wheels are (with run flats in them) so I'm curious... Also, did you mount it on the driver's side near the cab for better rear visibility?

riderdan

If you want it to lay flat, there's a bunch of generic systems on the internet that use a three webbing straps, coming together in the center, to hold down the tire. They come with bed-mount brackets that you could drill the bed to lock in place. You could probably fab up something on your own for dirt cheap. Another solution would be to grab a LoadTamer cargo net that attaches to all the tie-down points in the bed of the HMMWV and use that to hold onto the wheel....but I'd want to check it against the manufacturer first to see if they think it'll hold a wheel in-place.
I have one of these nets and they seem to be built darn-tough, but I never thought to use one to hold a wheel down before now.
I've seen some of those y-strap deals around, but the "normal" ones don't see to be big enough to get around the 37" tires. I suppose I could check an offroad supplier since they're more likely to have something that would fit these whopping big tires. I've thought about just mounting one of those truck-bed spare tire mounts to the inside of the bed, but because of the weight and the relative thinness of the aluminum, I'm reluctant...

Action

I have the real bed net that hooks to the loops in the bed. I can throw a tire in the bad and take a pic if you want. They are green.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
just fyi, They do make a 4 man bulkhead and brackets if you want a solid partition to protect the cab. Ebay has the partitions and I just saw a fellow member offering the brackets here on ss 86humv

I would think laying down and ratchet strapped across 2 of the tie downs would keep it in place.

ryanruck

I can't take credit for the idea and, I'm still in the process of prepping mine for installation but, maybe consider installing some E-Track in your bed to secure the tire to.

Some pics I've stolen from the guy that did think of it:

ETrakBasicInstalled-194362.jpg ETrackWithFuelCan-194361.jpg

You can either strap down the tire with E-Track D-Rings like this:

FinishedTireCarrier-194363.jpg

Or, places like Northern Tool have specific E-Track spare tire holder attachments but I don't know if the E-Track ends up being high up enough to use them.

49761_400x400.jpg

I think I'd want 2 of those though given the weight of these tires.

I'm doing mine a little differently. I'm going with two rows of E-Track, top and bottom. Also, I'm doing mine for cargo control since I've got a Rhino for my spare but, I could always secure a second tire back there if I wanted. It adds a lot of versatility.

Action

That pic in the post above this one....That tire looks like it can just tip over the top of the fender. The one strap is attached at almost the top of the fender, and the center of the tire is well above the fender. Also that strap is below the center of the tire.

ryanruck

That pic in the post above this one....That tire looks like it can just tip over the top of the fender. The one strap is attached at almost the top of the fender, and the center of the tire is well above the fender. Also that strap is below the center of the tire.
Yeah, I had similar thoughts when I saw it but chalked it up more to being a proof of concept shot since he and his buddy had just finished putting it all in.

If I were mounting a tire in said fashion I'd use 2, or possibly 3, ratchet straps. At minimum two through the hub of the wheel to either side of the tire and, maybe for extra security, one over the top in a similar manner to prevent, like you said, the tire from coming up.

Bravojmc

I can't take credit for the idea and, I'm still in the process of prepping mine for installation but, maybe consider installing some E-Track in your bed to secure the tire to.

Some pics I've stolen from the guy that did think of it:

View attachment 680484 View attachment 680485

You can either strap down the tire with E-Track D-Rings like this:

View attachment 680486

Or, places like Northern Tool have specific E-Track spare tire holder attachments but I don't know if the E-Track ends up being high up enough to use them.

View attachment 680487

I think I'd want 2 of those though given the weight of these tires.

I'm doing mine a little differently. I'm going with two rows of E-Track, top and bottom. Also, I'm doing mine for cargo control since I've got a Rhino for my spare but, I could always secure a second tire back there if I wanted. It adds a lot of versatility.
Guys.... I'm a former firefighter and this spare setup is a disaster waiting to happen... I was the first person to arrive on a scene. What happened was a family turned there truck over and the 75lb tool box wasn't strapped down and the box itself was what killed the mother (35) and daughter (5).... I still to this date wake up from nightmares of that scene. PLEASE PLEASE find a better way to tie this spare/gear down... Not trying to be a bummer but....

ari

I did the same only instead of doing to rows I mounted em in the middle its low enough to keep the tire from moving around and high enough to strap fuel cans or whatever else to the side. I wouldent quite trust that wheel standing up in the bed I can see it falling out especially off roading, I looked at the spare tire mount and it looks kinda weak and by the looks of it i dont think there is a way to use 2 of them and have the holes line up. I got the e tracks from northern tool for $15 each if anyone else is looking. IMAG0726.jpgIMAG0718.jpg

Lawdog734

Thanks for the pic. Did you reinforce the bed somehow, or just bolt it through with washers? I'm still amazed by how heavy the wheels are (with run flats in them) so I'm curious... Also, did you mount it on the driver's side near the cab for better rear visibility?
I mounted it to the bed floor and the fender wall using large washers and 3/8" bolts. It's very secure.

As for location, I thought I had one saved (hence the earlier pic), but apparently don't. I have it currently mounted to the passenger side, but will be moving it soon. See, the carrier is notched for that spot that sticks up in the 90 degree bend of the floor and fender wall. With a partition in place, it wouldn't mount correctly, so I it put it on the passenger side - but now visibility out my right rear stinks. I'll remove it soon and have a new notch cut so that I can mount it appropriately on the drivers side, where my rear visibility won't be as badly affected.

The pic below is how my truck is set up, I just need to reposition my tire from the passenger side.

GMV-S 8.jpg

Last edited:

riderdan

I mounted it to the bed floor and the fender wall using large washers and 3/8" bolts. It's very secure.
As for location, I thought I had one saved (hence the earlier pic), but apparently don't. I have it currently mounted to the passenger side, but will be moving it soon. See, the carrier is notched for that spot that sticks up in the 90 degree bend of the floor and fender wall. With a partition in place, it wouldn't mount correctly, so I it put it on the passenger side - but now visibility out my right rear stinks. I'll remove it soon and have a new notch cut so that I can mount it appropriately on the drivers side, where my rear visibility won't be as badly affected.
The pic below is how my truck is set up, I just need to reposition my tire from the passenger side.
View attachment 680556
Thanks for the info. That's kind of what I was thinking of. I suspect that if I mount the spare hanging off the back I won't be able to get the truck to fit in our garage. I have my welding kit and tool boxes along the front wall, so it's already a kind of tight fit.

On an unrelated note, I gotta ask: where did you get those sides? They look like cut down troop seats... very nice.

ryanruck

On an unrelated note, I gotta ask: where did you get those sides? They look like cut down troop seats... very nice.
Those are GMV bed rails. There's those and some tube style ones Mil Sys Group makes. If you find any like the ones above, let me know. I need them. :mrgreen:

I got a set of repro corner posts that 86humv has had from another member who didn't need them but I'm waiting for a set of the rails to turn up or find something comparable commercially that will work in their place.

bob smith

If you run with the thought of when you have a rel flat on the run flat and you are going to have to replace or fix the tire, why not remove the run flat and go with a tube and save the weight? is this not an option?

Wire Fox

If you run with the thought of when you have a rel flat on the run flat and you are going to have to replace or fix the tire, why not remove the run flat and go with a tube and save the weight? is this not an option?
Run flat gets you out of dodge/allows the vehicle to handle reasonably well if a sudden blowout occurs. The best option, runflat or not, is to pull over immediately and change the tire to prevent further damage and possibly get to salvage your damaged tire. I also personally don't know how a tube would handle in this application...seems like there's a lot of risk for high friction and overheating, plus I don't know the load bearing standards tubes might have (if they're even made for this tire size). I come from the land of dual-sport motorcycling, where tubes vs tubeless is a very real and strong debate, so I get where you're coming from...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks