• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Options for mounting spare in HMMWV bed

ryanruck

The 16.5" tire/wheel design needs, at the minimum, a beadlock of some sort whether that is a PVC sleeve or, as originally designed, the runflat to safely keep the tire on the wheel.

I once saw a really great cross section diagram showing the wheel bead angle difference between the 16.5" wheel bead versus a standard wheel, and why it needs a beadlock, and I stupidly did not think to save it. Maybe someone has it...

Chirider

Federal Military Parts sells one for about $200. It slips over the tailgate. It doesn't look like it can be secured unless you lock it to an attachment point.IMG_0955.JPG

riderdan

Federal Military Parts sells one for about $200. It slips over the tailgate. It doesn't look like it can be secured unless you lock it to an attachment point.View attachment 680750
I've thought about fabbing something like that, but the problem is that it precludes opening the tailgate. Plus I was worried about the weight of the wheel and tire on the tailgate hinges. Securing it isn't a big deal here in my little midwestern town, and even if I drive to the "big city" who's going to be able to pick that monster up off the tailgate unaided?

Something to think about, anyway. Thanks

Wire Fox

Bringing this back up again, because I just saw this on that popular auction site we all know and love...

Anyone have a clue as to what this is or how it works?
I know I've not seen that before, but it looks like there a LH and RH side. I'd try sending a message to that seller to get information on how it works and where it's setup. That's probably the best resolution, especially if they made the part on their own.

Last edited by a moderator:

riderdan

I know I've not seen that before, but it looks like there a LH and RH side. I'd try sending a message to that seller to get information on how it works and where it's setup. That's probably the best resolution, especially if they made the part on their own.
Yeah, I messaged them and they didn't seem to know much. I specifically asked if there was an NSN, and they said they'd get back to me today. Kascar has this part, too (here). It seems like it might be related to this

5598410.jpg

which they claim is a bed-mounted spare carrier for the humvee. I should probably call Kascar and see what the deal is...

riderdan

Another follow up... Apparently my link to "that auction site" wasn't allowed. I guess you're supposed to read the TOS before posting? ;-)

So the part I linked to was this:

hummer-1-bracket-spare-tire-6000931b2-4 .jpg

Which is part of this:

h1-spare-mount.jpg

And that installed is this (from my first post)

h1_bedspare.jpg

Unfortunately, these are no longer being produced.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks