• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ord crossover steering and hydraulic assist?do i need one or the other

hokie8358

need a little help with this one! i ve never installed a ORD crossover steer on a dana 60. i bought this off craigslist, a used but like new set up. its not the hi steer set up. i ve got a used 1 ton 2wd steering box from a 86 chevy duallie. but i was reading the ord web page on the hrdro assist. my 86 m1028 is running 39.5 boggers and i ve got a 6 in. skyjacker and 2in. body lift on it. little fender trimming as well. i may be considering going to a 8in. superlift in the near future. could i go ahead now with the crossover or wait and do the assist with it? i will mention the truck see's more hi way than off road?

if your going to run anything bigger than 37" with that much lift... i would do both.. I did.. i have a M1009 with M1008 axles 4" ORD lift.. and 52" running recentered H1 on 37" bfg military take offs...ORD High/Crossover.. but i went with Redneck ram from West texas offroad, due to price... Still came with PSC ram.. doing that install now... pics to follow.. if i can finish it up tomorrow..

I re read your post.... if its mostly highway... just stick with the crossover Steering for now... i WOULD HIGHLY recomend.. you get the ORD steering brace that bolts in.. If not.. you will eventually break steering gearbox off frame... just ask how i know.... I have destroyed 4 gearboxes without it.. As part of my upgrade.. i got and installed both the bolt in brace and Frame repair kit from ORD.

Last edited:

Cucvnut

yes do the Hydro the truck will turn like butter! I love my rock ram in mine. but do you know if the drag link will clear your cross member ?

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm running 11.00/20 NDT with ORD's cross-over without hydraulic steering. However I don't plan to do any serious off-roading. If I did, I would definitely install hydraulic steering and the steering brace. Heck my truck will probably never leave the asphalt!

I posted a couple of photos of the cross-over install in my rebuild thread. Pretty easy. Let me know if I can help you further.

Attachments

Cucvnut

I'm running 11.00/20 NDT with ORD's cross-over without hydraulic steering. However I don't plan to do any serious off-roading. If I did, I would definitely install hydraulic steering and the steering brace. Heck my truck will probably never leave the asphalt!

I posted a couple of photos of the cross-over install in my rebuild thread. Pretty easy. Let me know if I can help you further.

Such a sweet truck :)

hokie8358

ya man, my components are ORD and yes it does have the bend in it. but i have not ruff draft it yet to see if it would clear. having a heck of a time turning it now. think my factory power steering pump is going out. turns good while its idled up and first gets going. then in low rpm turns i have to pull the steering wheel.

biggestc69

Do you need to have a lift to run crossover steering? All the options I saw listed for them on ORD's website were for lifted trucks. Now with the front locker the stock steering is really suckin hard. Sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm just pretty ignorant in the ways of steering setups.

Cucvnut

You have a locker in the front? Cross over steering corrects the geometry on a,lifted truck because the 4wd is a push pull style and 2wd is a left right. If you have not lifted the truck i dont think cross over is really a benefit.

Last edited:

biggestc69

Well it sits a little higher than stock with new heavy duty front springs, but not much. What are the options for upgrading the steering if the truck sits at a stock ride height? I know there is ram assist and all that but is it really needed for 34" tires with a locked front end. If I get to a place where the tires are kinda in a bind, trying to turn up a steep hill with a little ledge at the bottom, the stock steering struggles. Like I said not trying to hijack the thread and not trying to sound like an idiot either. Just don't know much about aftermarket steering upgrades for these trucks.

If i were you... i would use ORD's Steering brace, and possibly the Frame repair/ upgrade kit first... than maybe hydroassist.. This will at least strengthen your components, as these body style trucks are infamous for having... "weak" steering, especially if you do ANYTHING above a stock confguration.

And As cucvnut stated... doing a crossover on a nonlifted truck will not help you... its more for lifted vehicles... 4-6" of lift or higher...

biggestc69

Thanks for the info guys! I called ORD yesterday and he said pretty much word for word what 1ton cucv k5 turbo said. He did say that you can run a crossover setup if your axle tube is at least 10" to the bottom of the frame. He said that 8" was about stock so if you've got at least a 2 inch lift they could help ya out. Sorry for the dumb questions I should have just called them to start with.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks