• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ordered the 9 speed today....

Trango

Well, I did it - I found an overdrive 9 speed airshift, rebuilt, for a decent price, so I pulled the trigger on it. This will go behind the 3208T, replacing the 5 speed spicer I have in there now.

I'm pretty fired up about it. I should have it in sometime in May or June... I want to split the brakes and move the transfer case back at the same time.

Anyway, if anyone wants to buy a 6855 .695 OD tranny, let me know... I'll have one available in a few months.

Best
Bob

Trango

Shucks.... it's about 2ce as big as the stock 3053A - it will definitely not fit in the same space, but would work behind any engine with a number 2 bell and I think it's 1.75" input gear.

It's syncromesh, with a sliding gear for first and R.

hot rod deuce

What kind of TQ rating did it have? Almsot all eaton RT boxes can be made over drive. How much was it if you dont mind me asking? i have been looking at new 7speed OD spicers because they are not much bigger than stock and still shift like a car rather than a big truck, that way most any one can drive it.

If you ever get looking for another motor let me know, I have a nice low hour re-built 250 HP 3208T with or without the allison auto

FreightTrain

Banned
hmmm,how much is the spicer 7 speeds?Looking for something different to put in my ford pickup.I don't have a problem making custom cross members and cutting the floor pan if need be.I was planning on dropping a 12V cummins wth a 9pd RR overdrive(No problem mounting tranny to Engine.8.3L cummins bellhousing,Clutch,Flywheel make it possible....Just in case you ever though about a 5.9L cummins deuce....

Trango

HRD, the tranny was $1700, configured to my specs and shipped. It is a fully rebuilt tranny, so I'm pretty fired up about it.... considering that I spent $700 on my 6588 and then dropped another $400 or more rebuilding it.

So this 3208T you have.... it's good to know it exists. What would you want to get for it?

The idea of these 7 speeds is intriguing! I almost don't want to hear anymore about them, in case they'd be a better fit.

Oh yeah - 1300 ft lbs rating on this one. It's a 13609, which is a configuration-6(short back, coarse output) 9 speed with 1300 rating.

Seriously, PM me on your rough cost for the 3208.

Best
Bob

hot rod deuce

HAHA ever thought about a 5.9 cunnins deuce!!!?? Kinda like the one I have? Ok sorry bout that i just got a kick out of it.

Any way 1300 FtLb seems plenty big, are you sure its that big? you are probably looking at around 600 FT lbs. out of that motor tops if you didnt swap pumps. Most 180 HP 3208's run a 600 FT LB tranny.

Just for your reading here are the 3208 specs right out of the Cat performance hand book. 19th edition It is interesting to see

165 HP Natural is 470 FT Lbs
210 HP Natural is 500 Ft Lbs
250 HP Turbo is 650 Ft Lbs
300 HP Turbo is 750 Ft Lbs

67Cougar

Trango, What did it take to get the 6855 to work in your deuce? Did you have any pictures of the installation? Is the input and output shaft in the right spot to bolt up to a stock deuce engine and transfer case??

Trango

I had to
modify another 6000 series bellhousing to accept the 6855 top cover (forward position shifter)
gaswrench the stickshift away from the firewall
create a custom input bearing (just a little TIG work)
Oh yeah, I also made a new output flange, by combining the stock output flange with the flange off an old 2.5T axle.

That was pretty much it. After that, it fit like a charm.

I'm sort of bogged down in some other projects currently, so I doubt I'll even get to the 9 speed swap until well into late summer.

Are you interested in the 6855? I'm looking for a buyer come swap time. :)

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Someone in my local Buy/Sell rag has a 9 speed for sale for $400.00.
The ad said "shifted good when pulled out".
There was a 3406 Cat motor for sale with the same phone number listed so I think someone was parting out a commercial rig.
If the tranny is in good shape is that a good price? How would you know if it was sitting on the ground?

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
i guess i should have added this is a 3208 and a spicer cm6000 series trans in a deuce frame. just a note, with spicer transmissions, generally the first number is the torque rating times 100, so the regular m-35 trans being a 3000 series is 300 ft lbs and a 6000 series as in a old 5 ton is 600 ft lbs etc. the cm is for constant mesh, 1st and rev do not have a sliding gear, they have a hub without syncro rings. the older trans used in 2 1/2 and 5 ton trucks are not cm. the big deal with the cm6000 is that you can buy a gear set for 5th that gives you a .66:1 overdrive. this will give 74 mph at 3000 rpm, about as fast as you really want to go.........

Trango

Tom,

This is Bob - you gave me about an hour's worth of info maybe 3 years ago when I was looking at the 3208 swap - thanks so much for all of that info.

The tranny that I had was a 6855 - after looking at swapping out all of the guts of my 6052, even going so far as to order some different inputs (I had all correct part numbers), I finally found a .695 OD 5 speed that used to come in the old mil 5 tons. Some lathe time for a new flange, the mods I describe above, and boom, new tranny. :)

So the issue with the 9 speeds etc, like all trannies that would see deuce duty, is the top gear ratio. I have found heaps of 9 speeds around, but what you need is something in the high .60's or low-mid .70's.... these are the RTX's, RTO's, etc. If you ever need to check the top ratio, I have heaps of PDF's and info I've collected that list pretty much all the ratios Eaton Fuller put out throughout the years.

Bob

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
od ratio

i think the ratio needs to be around 1:1.5 , but you will need other ratios to get you there since you will be very power limited with a duece engine. the .66 to 1.0 was fine with the 3208 and it even liked hills.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: od ratio

Tom,

will the spicer cm6000 fit in a deuce that has the LDT engine?

I've been all over the spicer, er.. dana.. website, There is very little information there.

I think I recall you moved something forward to make it all fit? Since the 395 size tires are out for me due to vehicle height, the only reasonably economical option is a transmission swap.

Do you still have the website of the pictures of your millenium deuce build?

Thanks,
Patrick

chaplain

Hello, I am kinda the newby here. I was wondering how much the cat engine would lower the noise. Also will it improve the mileage any? I ask that question refering as much to the transmission with overdrive as the engine. With all that power and an overdrive the hwy rpm will be next to nothing. ( I would think) Do you have any estimates on these questions.?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks