• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Original Color of the M543 Wrecker

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What was the original color(number) of the M543 wrecker? A local vet. told me he remembers the new wreckers arriving with everything below the body in a dull black, except the axles?
James G.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
To answer your question literally would take several pages. However, if you want to know what color to buy to repaint it, you want either FS 595A 24087, or FS 595B 24084 (the same color, but two different numbers) - you do NOT want FS 595B 24087 - that color is not correct for vehicles of the Vietnam and earlier period.

I've got some color photos at home, I'll take a look as to the black chassis.

HTH,
David Doyle

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
David:
I had a look at the photos you shared with me, all of them are all green, but this guy was absolutely sure they were black, and that one of the first things they did was to paint everything OD!
James G.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've heard that the undercarriage of almost every mil vehicle was black as well. I think the axles were indeed painted whatever color the body was.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know that it's not an M543 but my M108 wrecker was strata blue. Under the dash, the frame, the axles and the transfer case were all carefully blasted down and the last color I saw before primer was the strata blue. I was a bit amazed by that.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The drive train/undercarriage on my 1969 xm757 was OD as was everything else on the vehicle. Some parts of the frame were painted black by previous owner (not Army).
The best match I have found is the Aervoe 24084 (997B). David did not suggest Aervoe, but the color match is very good.

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have started stripping my truck for paint and everything underneath is the original semi-gloss drab. Inside of the frame, axles, springs, etc.

jasonjc

Some of my trucks have black under coating with color over the top of that. I can get pic if you what or you can come by and look.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
The black on the frame of the M135 family of vehicles is not paint - it was applied via a process called Bonderizing - which was pattened by Ford Motor Company (who evidently then licensed it). It is possible that the five tons were given a similar treatment. I've got a copy of the first contract for the G744 series at home - I'll take a look and see it this is mentioned.

HTH,
David

67Beast

We had a debate about this over on the M715zone awhile back about proper frame color. My 67' had a factory green frame that looks like it was later sprayed with a black rubberized undercoating. And during the stripping of the frame, the green was the last color before the primer. I have a pic that shows a spot from under the bed where the undercoating is flaking off to show the green under it. Now several other members swear that black was the only color coating on thier frames before stripping them. Who's correct? I don't know, but I know that I restored mine the way it was on my truck. Who knows there have may have been a change in production that they started to use black, or my be the day the painted mine they ran out of black and just used some green they had around?

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks