• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Original Marine HMMWV Auction

darr3239

Just checking to see if anyone knows which Marine Corp units the HMMWVs came from, which were included in the original auction.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No one unit turn is all there trucks....the trucks were put in strategic reserve fleet, then auctioned off. Vehicles for the most get dumped out once they become economically not repairable or outdated...that's why some many M1114's are being scrapped. Others like MRAP's just have no use once the war was over...so scrap or 1033 program.
but it's all based on how many units are active, the more downsizing, the more scrap. Lather, rinse...repeat.
this way on the next war and build up, all the defense contractors can make there profits...

Action

I don't believe the one I had from the '90's auction was a Marine unit. It had the heavy rear bumper and absolutely no undercoating on it.

darr3239

I thought I read somewhere that the early auction was in Georgia and everything they had was Marine Corps. I get it that they wouldn't all be from the same units, but was just curious about whatever anyone knows of those vehicles.

dilvoy

Those vehicles were sold by the auction houses for United Defense and they got them from the USMC. I got my first Humvee from the Riverside Auction and someone later told me that it had been in Okinawa Japan based on the stenciled numbers on the body.

TedG

My M1037 was from the Atlanta auction and it is one of only two M1037 sold. Both from Okinawa. One with undercoating and one without. My is the latter.

springbok

My 1038 was from that Auction and was USMC. It was actually in Panama so that was kind of cool.
The sad, it's value was at least cut in half when they started selling them again

gcbennet

Mine is a USMC machine which came from the California auction, and I believe I'm the fourth owner. Unfortunately one of the previous owners has painted it and I don't have any of the original markings to help with unit ID. The data plate is gone as well, so I'm merely assuming it's a 998.

gcbennet

My truck's s/n is 6654 and fortunately for me that plate wasn't removed. I personally believe the '99 auction serial number list is an urban legend since everyone claims it exists but nobody knows where to find it. lol