• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Orignal Color

The Janiter

My m35a2 from the AR.NG (still waiting for the hold to be released)
has the orignal small mirrors for the '71 year (only one in the lot) - but the paint is carc camo.
am I right in saying that this truck was delivered in '71 in 383 green, then repainted for the guard later?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe it was semi-gloss until sometime in the mid-70s when they converted to 4-color MERDC camo. They, then, transitioned in the late 80s to the 3-color NATO camo that we see on most of our trucks. I don't have David Doyle's book near me to quote the exact years for the changes. So, to answer your question, your truck has been many colors during its service. The color you choose to paint it depends upon the era you want to represent. Any of those colors (including 686A tan) would be correct.

CatMan

Correct Color

Here are two photo's of our 1971 M35A2 after painting it to original. We removing four previous paint coats and at least two different camo patterns. We copied a color slide of a truck that I drove in 1974. It was new issue in 1972. The correct color is 24087 OD Semi Gloss.

That is what it looked like new.

Cat Man

Attachments

vtdeucedriver

Here are two photo's of our 1971 M35A2 after painting it to original. We removing four previous paint coats and at least two different camo patterns. We copied a color slide of a truck that I drove in 1974. It was new issue in 1972. The correct color is 24087 OD Semi Gloss.

That is what it looked like new.

Cat Man
SWEET TRUCK!!! Yep 24087 is the paint.......................Making me miss my deuces!

TulsaME

Hey Michael,

I'm waiting on an M35A2C from AR NG. I think the color on my truck is 319 (seen here: Army Jeep Parts Inc., O.D. Paint, Gillespie Coatings Inc. manufactured. and second from left on swatch pic). I kind of like the color but I don't think it is the as delivered color. I plan on finding some part of the interior that may still have the original paint and consider matching that color when I repaint. Otherwise, I think I am going to stick with the 319 leaving the truck in the "as retired" color.

I tend to agree with Bruce... I think any color you like that was possible during its service life is a good choice for YOUR truck.

Still hoping for an EUC!!!

Attachments

The Janiter

Thanks guys - I likes the fact that the truck I "paid for and waiting" was the orignal mirror configuration, it matches the pic on Sept. Supply line - the semi-gloss was the marine color used in Nam. My personal fav.
TulsaMe is your truck the drop side that I saw on the lot? what was the item #,if it was there I started it, I was able to spend 4 hours with the GL rep (great guy - ex. AF) mine is 7882
starts - runs - drives - new tires - spring,shock seat - no heater - I like the heater in an other post, mounted inside out of the way (17500 btu 3 speed) When my euc clears I'll pick it up - I'm now waiting for the trailers to go on sale so I can get a 101 for my m37 and a 105 for the duce

Attachments

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
TulsaME: The paint on your truck looks like 383 green CARC to me. It just is faded. It could be forest green (the base color for the 4 color MERDC camo), but I think it is 383 green.

TulsaME

Michael: Yes, I outbid everyone for the dropside! I don't have the lot # at the ready. A couple of SS members near you (ARYankee and FALCody) also provided me with some positive info about my truck. I hope it still starts when my EUC clears. I think ARYankee was putting together a Toy run you may want to check out.

Bruce: You may be correct (probably are) about the paint color. If you are my 383 faded to a near match of the 319 sample I found. I guess that means I can touch up with 319 until I repaint with 383.

Anxiously waiting to see the color from behind the wheel!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks