• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NJ oshkosh m1070

ger84

hi all- i have a Oshkosh m1070 that I just got- Its a 1994. I live in NJ. I had state farm for my bmy m925-a2 and was great however insurance is only $400ish for the year however they will not cover the m1070 because of weight and have to put it under commercial truck insurance.... anyone have any recommendations? I do have my class A cdl license but common there has to be something out there cheaper.... Thanks

hagerty quoted me $1160 for the year : (1412.68 for both trucks for the year which is only $252 extra for the year for both!?)
state farm quoted me commercial: $1718.54 for the year: (not including my other bmy 925-a2) so addl. $400 for the yr.
geico quoted me commercial: waiting on results: did not want to insure the truck. haha
New Jersey Manufacturers (NJM)- (i have a huge policy with them-6 cars, 2 homes) says they do military and totally said no way even to my deuce and 5 ton.... false advertising

Anyone ever insure this truck as a camper? It does have 2 sleeping beds in the back? I know I read that from someone... what insurance did they use?

anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited:

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have state farm for AMi, m916 with a m970 tanker, they are registered at 70K lbs, my policy is commercial due to weight but cdl not required because they are both tagged as a standard private use tag, same as you have on a pickup and single axle trailer, I carry liability only, bodily injury and property damage.
It did take a month of sundays to get the truck thru underwriting, and my agent did have a few phone calls about the truck. As long as its truely a parade truck, sunday driving truck, I dont know why it would be an issue, dont be afraid of the 'commercial' policy, its just a seperate department in underwriting.
Just make sure the truck is registered correctly especially on weight so the big bad DOT bears dont eat your lunch, and you never make any money with that truck, even prize money from a car show, that is classified as income and then it makes you a true commercial vehicle.

AMi was purchased for grass fire deterrent for our home and we do use it to feed brush trucks at fires, when they are in our community, so it was in the insurance company's best interest to insure that vehicle.

try to stay away from full coverage, that makes it more difficult to bond the policy.

the wording on my policy states....

vehicle body type-not categorized truck
vehicle use: land maintenance- not used in business
business description-not otherwise classified
radius of operation-100miles
annual distance-800miles
number trailer-1

ami.JPG

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All of my trucks are covered under a commercial license with the exceptions of my M-37, M-1009 and G-506. I have six 2 1/2 ton M-35’s and M-211’s. I also own a 5 ton tractor M 52. All are parade and show use only.

ger84

I have state farm for AMi, m916 with a m970 tanker, they are registered at 70K lbs, my policy is commercial due to weight but cdl not required because they are both tagged as a standard private use tag, same as you have on a pickup and single axle trailer, I carry liability only, bodily injury and property damage.
It did take a month of sundays to get the truck thru underwriting, and my agent did have a few phone calls about the truck. As long as its truely a parade truck, sunday driving truck, I dont know why it would be an issue, dont be afraid of the 'commercial' policy, its just a seperate department in underwriting.
Just make sure the truck is registered correctly especially on weight so the big bad DOT bears dont eat your lunch, and you never make any money with that truck, even prize money from a car show, that is classified as income and then it makes you a true commercial vehicle.

AMi was purchased for grass fire deterrent for our home and we do use it to feed brush trucks at fires, when they are in our community, so it was in the insurance company's best interest to insure that vehicle.

try to stay away from full coverage, that makes it more difficult to bond the policy.

annual distance-800miles
number trailer-1

View attachment 911065
Thanks for the message.... if you don't mind me asking what is your quote for your truck to insure with StateFarm?

ger84

annual distance-800miles
number trailer-1

View attachment 911065
Thanks for telling me the wording of your insurance...

ger84

All of my trucks are covered under a commercial license with the exceptions of my M-37, M-1009 and G-506. I have six 2 1/2 ton M-35’s and M-211’s. I also own a 5 ton tractor M 52. All are parade and show use only.
I do have my class a cdl. however a m1070 is a very "big" truck and insurance is a pia over it. I have my 5 ton and its $300 for the year with state farm! historic license plate and all. I want to do the m1070 with historic license plates also....

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
something else you might tell them, top speed is 52mph, not limited but maximum, dont know if that helps or hurts in this instance,
I know in the real commercial word, if a driver is having issues getting insurance due to tickets, if his truck is speed limited, that helps.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have Progressive commercial on my 915 for $2160 /yr so the quotes you are seeing are in line.

ger84

something else you might tell them, top speed is 52mph, not limited but maximum, dont know if that helps or hurts in this instance,
I know in the real commercial word, if a driver is having issues getting insurance due to tickets, if his truck is speed limited, that helps.
Thanks- No I don't have any tickets. Fully clean driving record for 20ish years. cdl for 10 years and no tickets either...

never hurt to tell them- thanks for the info- max speed is funny on a truck like that. but i know I will get there and back hopefully

ger84

I have Progressive commercial on my 915 for $2160 /yr so the quotes you are seeing are in line.
Thanks for the info- the quotes I got were with commercial insurance- its not possible as of yet to get "cheap" insurance for this truck- I have a m925a2 and its 300 for the year. but its the weight of the truck. hence it has to have commercial insurance. thx

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sad to say this is why I long for the past when insurance threads were not allowed. What you advise someone to do or try is almost always not going to work in another state or for a different truck.

Furthermore telling your insurer that your HET is a camper will work right up until the truck contacts another vehicle. The only people that make out are the lawyers.

For 15 years on the site the only time I listen to insurance advise is from my agent or contract.

ger84

Sad to say this is why I long for the past when insurance threads were not allowed. What you advise someone to do or try is almost always not going to work in another state or for a different truck.

Furthermore telling your insurer that your HET is a camper will work right up until the truck contacts another vehicle. The only people that make out are the lawyers.

For 15 years on the site the only time I listen to insurance advise is from my agent or contract.
I totally agree. Just curious how they did it! Not saying I am going to insure it as a camper. I already have a 45 ft camper. But its funny that people without a cdl with a camper can drive a 35000 earthquake on wheels and have air brakes etc... not even adding a trailer haha... For me insurance is 500 for the year for the camper and a truck with the same weight and not using comercially and being used recreationally is not deemed the same.

Def. not registering as a camper as insurance wouldn't cover anything and I don't want to be liable incase I crush a car or 2. don't need a headache as of right now.

ger84

I just got my M915A1 insured and got the whole "you can't do this or that from the agent" (Hagerty) on the phone. Funny, the actual policy says something different. :)
congrats-

yeah hagerty sounds great - sometimes i like to to go to home depot to get some materials. they said i am covered but only for parades... :cautious:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
congrats-

yeah hagerty sounds great - sometimes i like to to go to home depot to get some materials. they said i am covered but only for parades... :cautious:
yeah but.

Clearly you can use it on occasion for other purposes. This is right out of the policy.

J. "Antique vehicle" means a motor vehicle 25 years or more of age that:
1. Is maintained primarily for use in car club activities, exhibitions, parades, other functions of public interest or for a private collection; and
2. Is used only infrequently for other purposes.

K. "Classic vehicle" means a motor vehicle of unique or rare design and of limited production that is an object of curiosity and:
1. Is maintained primarily for use in car club activities, exhibitions, parades, other functions of public interest or for a private collection; and
2. Is used only infrequently for other purposes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks