• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oshkosh Mk 48 General Info 8x8

Warren Lovell

The Oshkosh Mk.48 series of articulated trucks began life as the Lockheed design, named 'Twister'. Later the Oshkosh Truck Corporation signed license agreement with Lockheed and developed it into commercial design. In 1983 it was ordered by the US Marine Corps as the Mk.48 LVS (Logistic Vehicle System). Sometimes it is nicknamed the Dragon Wagon. This nickname was borrowed from the World War II tank transporter. A total of 1433 Mk.48 vehicles were ordered. Deliveries commenced in 1985.

The Oshlosh LVS was a mainstay of the USMC logistics fleet. This 8x8 tactical truck is used to transport heavy equipment and basic supplies, such as ammunition, fuel and water. The LVS has a payload capacity of 12.5 t off road and 22.5 t on hard surface roads. It can also tow a trailer.

All models of the Dragon Wagon share the same articulated joint feature. It is located behind the front pair of axles and divides vehicle into front and rear modules. There is a degree of independent movement between the front and rear units for more mobility. In theory, the front module could be used with any of the other rear modules.

The common front module consists of a cab, engine and transmission. Cab provides seating for driver and co-driver. There is also space for crew stowage. The rear modules differ by function.

The Oshkosh Mk.48 LVS is powered by a Detroit Diesel 8V92TA turbocharged diesel engine, developing 450 hp. Vehicle is fitted with a central tyre inflation system and has an excellent off-road mobility, even with full load. A self-recovery winch was standard across the range.

The LVS also steers through both standard wheel pivoting (as on a typical automobile) and hydraulic yaw steering (by articulating the Front Power Unit against the Rear Body Unit). This gives the LVS remarkable maneuverability for its size.

The United States Army has a similar tactical vehicle called the Heavy Expanded Mobility Tactical Truck (HEMTT). The key differences between the two is the LVS's ability to interchange Front Power Units with Rear Body Units.

In 2006 the US Marine Corps selected the new Oshkosh LVSR (Logistic Vehicle System Replacement). It is a 10x10 vehicle, fitted with an armored cab.

VARIANTS

Mk.48/14 a flatbed truck, equipped to carry standard logistics containers

Mk. 48/15 recovery vehicle, fitted with a hydraulic crane and recovery winch

Mk. 48/16 tractor truck with shorter wheelbase, capable of pulling tank transporter semi-trailers

Mk. 48/17 cargo carrier with a hydraulic load handling crane. It is capable of carrying loads up to 18000 kg on hard surface roads

Mk. 48/18 self loading container and bridge transporter.

The LVS is composed of a Front Power Unit (FPU) coupled to a Rear Body Unit (RBU). The FPU can be driven on its own, but is front-heavy in this mode and prone to nose-diving when the brakes are applied. A suspension lockout strut reduces this problem. When describing a truck it is remarked by the combination of both units, for example, an MK48 FPU attached to an MK18 RBU is called a "48/18". For MK16's, which tow M870 semi-trailers, the type of trailer is added as well, i.e. "48/16/870A2".

DIMENSIONS AND WEIGHT
CURB WEIGHT: 18.3 - 22.9 TONS
MX LOAD: 12.5 TONS
LENGTH: 10.1-11.6 METERS
WIDTH: 2.44 METERS
HEIGHT: 2.59 METERS

MAXIMUM ROAD SPEED: 56.54 MPH
RANGE: 298.26 MILES
CAB SEATING: 1 + 1 MEN
CONFIGURATION: 8 x 8

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I've only been watching GL for a few months but I have yet to see a complete front and rear MK48. I have a CDL and would love to have one.
buy the front,
buy the rear,
REAR + FRONT = a complete unit,

I would be keeping a eye on GL, never know what might come up, even a complete unit, stranger things have come up on GL

bbf

i pick up a mk48 a while ago and in the process of putting it back together parts are very hard to find and i have a a mk18 trailer but it will be some time before i get it on the road

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder what kind of wheels and tires those are in the 2nd photo there. Pretty interesting.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I don't think they sell complete units... Probly be easier to buy them separate
True so fair, though never know about GL, It seems every time someone says "NEVER on GL" it shows up, look at the Special Forces PANZs just for an example

kmfcap

Has anyone here bought an LVS FPU from Gl that actually works and isn't a large paperweight? I'm interested in the next auction but don't want to do a complete engine rebuild and spend the next 2 years buying new parts at new part prices.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I remember during our amphibious landings leading up to Desert Storm, the LVS were the only wheeled vehicles that could make it through & across the deep sands of Saudi Arabia & Oman....they looked like snakes, weaving their way side-to-side through the sand. Meanwhile every HMMWV & M939-series was instantly bogged up to their frames as soon as they left the LCUs, the sand was so deep.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
While I was at Fort Benning the Marines came down to fire their LAV's at one of our ranges.

One of those MK-48's was going down a steep hill just past the Ammo Supply Point and flipped over killing the driver and severely injuring the other guy. Those things are squirrely on paved roads due to the articulation.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks